Magic Key Renewals

Just to pass the time waiting for renewal info, here's some of the things I'd love to see available with the new passes and how likely I think they are to be an option...

-A pass that does not require reservations [basically no chance]

-A "no blockout" pass that allows reservations to be made 365 days per year [likely]

-Ability to hold multiple reservations at once. I think the 6 for the Dream Key works fine. I could do with more if offered, but the reality is that the better reservation availability is, the less this is an issue. [likely]

-Parking included [I'm gonna say likely, but no guarantees]

-Dining and merch discounts [likely]

-Ability to add Genie+ as a pass feature (like the old MaxPass) [possible but unlikely]

-Hotel discounts and deals that includes some free LL passes [they used to do this with FP, but I doubt they bring it back]

-"Free" / "bonus" reservations to the park that don't count against your allotted reservations, (eg. pass holders can enter the parks after 5pm on select days) [maybe, they're doing stuff like this at WDW]

-Pass features (entry gate, LLs, dining and merch discounts, etc) can be accessed via MagicBand+ [this must be coming, right? Anyone remember MagicBand+ coming to Disneyland?]

This is a company that expects its customers to make reservations to enter the parks when there is no entertainment schedule or operating hours information out yet. I would not be surprised if they don't even get info out by those mid-July dates.
You've never been to a convention have you? You buy tickets months before you know anything else besides location and dates. SDCC for example sells tickets in Nov, for a convention in July. D23 is similar, as are all these events.

Nothing negative about it, I just find it funny this mode of operation is surprising and negative to some. At least Disney schedules are somewhat predictable.

Tomorrow is the opening of my 40 day window. Hopefully I’ll have renewal options, I doubt I will though, you would think someone with an earlier expiration date would have leaked details by now.

Tomorrow is the opening of my 40 day window. Hopefully I’ll have renewal options, I doubt I will though, you would think someone with an earlier expiration date would have leaked details by now.
They aren't likely going to make renewals available until 40 days prior to Aug 25, the first day they officially started selling passes, regardless of the fact that some people have slightly earlier expiration dates. Seversl people have passes that have already expired. They were not able to renew.

You've never been to a convention have you? You buy tickets months before you know anything else besides location and dates. SDCC for example sells tickets in Nov, for a convention in July. D23 is similar, as are all these events.

Nothing negative about it, I just find it funny this mode of operation is surprising and negative to some. At least Disney schedules are somewhat predictable.

I equate buying tickets to conventions without knowing all the details of sessions to buying an Annual Pass to Disneyland without knowing if/when they'll ever bring back Magic Happens which is understandable to me. Needing to make park reservations without knowing the schedule is more like needing to reserve specific sessions within a convention without knowing the contents of those sessions. For every convention I have ever been to, if you are not allowed to attend the entire thing, you don't just arbitrarily reserve a time without knowing what happens for those times. You reserve your spots for specific sessions, knowing what will happen for those sessions. To my knowledge, when the reservation window opens for a session/panel at D23, you actually get to see the schedule or am I wrong on this one?

I have never been to a convention that has two locations where you are forced to pick one location months in advance and are then stuck there without the option to attend the sessions at the other location. Of all the conference/conventions I have been to, there was only one where the conference advertised certain dates/times then later said that the tickets you paid for didn't cover that entire period but there was a separate ticket for VIPs for a period of the conference.

Disney doing things that are customers don't like isn't surprising but I still find it frustrating. It may not matter much to some but for many, it makes Disneyland not worth the hassle anymore.

I equate buying tickets to conventions without knowing all the details of sessions to buying an Annual Pass to Disneyland without knowing if/when they'll ever bring back Magic Happens which is understandable to me. Needing to make park reservations without knowing the schedule is more like needing to reserve specific sessions within a convention without knowing the contents of those sessions. For every convention I have ever been to, if you are not allowed to attend the entire thing, you don't just arbitrarily reserve a time without knowing what happens for those times. You reserve your spots for specific sessions, knowing what will happen for those sessions. To my knowledge, when the reservation window opens for a session/panel at D23, you actually get to see the schedule or am I wrong on this one?

I have never been to a convention that has two locations where you are forced to pick one location months in advance and are then stuck there without the option to attend the sessions at the other location. Of all the conference/conventions I have been to, there was only one where the conference advertised certain dates/times then later said that the tickets you paid for didn't cover that entire period but there was a separate ticket for VIPs for a period of the conference.

Disney doing things that are customers don't like isn't surprising but I still find it frustrating. It may not matter much to some but for many, it makes Disneyland not worth the hassle anymore.
That's a fair analogy.

Think we'll hear anything about renewals tomorrow since it'll be almost exactly 40 days from the 1-year anniversary of Magic Keys going on sale? I would doubt renewals would be available tomorrow, but it would be a logical day to make an announcement.

Think we'll hear anything about renewals tomorrow since it'll be almost exactly 40 days from the 1-year anniversary of Magic Keys going on sale? I would doubt renewals would be available tomorrow, but it would be a logical day to make an announcement.
I sure hope so.

Looks like people who want to renew their passes wont have to wait that much longer for information.

The Disneyland ticketing website is currently down. Usually this happens right before a price increase/change in offerings.

View attachment 684372
II get this error all the time using Chrome for the Disney websites, so I switch to Firerfox for Disney stuff.

Was just thinking about the ala carte options. What if they make m-thur no reservation required but make f-sundays and holidays reservations required.

Was just thinking about the ala carte options. What if they make m-thur no reservation required but make f-sundays and holidays reservations required.
I think that was how the FlexPass was. I’m pretty sure only some days (around holidays and weekends) required reservations and M-Th were open.

II get this error all the time using Chrome for the Disney websites, so I switch to Firerfox for Disney stuff.

It was all browsers and the Disneyland app. The ticketing website was down for a few hours.

Tomorrow is the 40 day mark for people who bought and used their Keys on August 25th last year.

It was all browsers and the Disneyland app. The ticketing website was down for a few hours.

Tomorrow is the 40 day mark for people who bought and used their Keys on August 25th last year.
Interesting, I hadn't had issues at the time. I was changing reservations that day without issues.

Actually I think it's Sunday. People who bought and used their keys on August 25th of last year will have keys that expire on August 25th of this year, so I would count the 40 days starting on July 17. Interestingly, I can recall a number of times in the past when Disney implemented price increases on Sundays. Also, that's Disneyland's anniversary. Wouldn't that be a fun day to start a new/revised annual pass program and increase prices? Ha ha. If there's going to be any news on this, I would expect it to drop in the next hour or so, but at this point who knows. It's been radio silence from Disney so far. I suppose they could just quietly start sending out e-mails to key holders as their renewal windows open up (or whenever Disney darn well feels like it even if it's inside the magic 40 day window), and we will find out what's up through places like these boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter