Magic Bands at Disneyland?

Only Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway "right now" but it changes all the time. I made up a quick sheet to use for both DL and DCA - this is current as of March, 2023 - might be helpful for you? By seeing what you can pay for individually (usually $15-20 per person), or buy the Genie+ (will typically allow you to hit 3-7 rides with no wait - with that 2 hour spread for booking, which you can only start 1st booking when enter the park - although you can book a "next" ride as soon as enter current booking ride so sometimes they can be closer together than 2 hours). Just like at WDW, you can almost skip the Genie+ if you are willing to Rope Drop your favorites.

View attachment 752355

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway hasn't used the VQ for close to a month now.

So nothing using VQ now I guess, that's why I mentioned it changes ALL THE TIME - you really do best to use the App for the day you are there :(

It doesn't really change all the time. Disneyland has a trend of only using VQ for a short period of time for new attractions, and then switching to Standby and ILL. Once a ride leaves the VQ, even though the fine print says they "may" use it again, it hasn't happened yet.

We have used MB for many WDW trips, but we’re going to DL next month and I’d rather not pay for 4 MB+ if I don’t have to. We won’t be buying Genie+, but we will have DAS. Are they only used for entering the parks and tapping on rides using DAS? And can we use the app for those things?

And can we use the app for those things?
Every major function can be done from the App except a time consuming game in the Galaxy's Edge, or lightup functions - cute for someone who goes frequently but not necessary - especially if not using G+. Perhaps get just one for the DAS person to use for faster entry to rides?

We have used MB for many WDW trips, but we’re going to DL next month and I’d rather not pay for 4 MB+ if I don’t have to.
Just in case this was not already clear based on previous posts in this thread, you do not have to purchase DL specific Magic Band +. The ones you have from your WDW trips will work in Disneyland, you just need to link them in the Disneyland app.

Just in case this was not already clear based on previous posts in this thread, you do not have to purchase DL specific Magic Band +. The ones you have from your WDW trips will work in Disneyland, you just need to link them in the Disneyland app.
As long as the ones you have from WDW are MB+. The regular MB (previous versions) will not work at DLR.

The ones from WDW are not MB+.

Every major function can be done from the App except a time consuming game in the Galaxy's Edge, or lightup functions - cute for someone who goes frequently but not necessary - especially if not using G+. Perhaps get just one for the DAS person to use for faster entry to rides?
So only the DAS person needs to scan in with their phone at the rides, and everyone else on the reservation doesn’t?

The ones from WDW are not MB+.
MagicBand+ is available at Walt Disney World. The MagicBands that were included free with your resort reservation won’t work, but they stopped including free MagicBands with a resort reservation in 2022, I believe. Since then, a discount has been offered to pre-purchase them. That discount DOES extend to the MagicBand+. So some folks may have Walt Disney World MagicBand+ that will work at Disneyland.

And just as something else to add - if the testing of DisneyBand on Disney Cruise Line extends to the entire fleet, MagicBand+ models will also work for Disney Cruise Line. Right now, however, it’s in a test phase only for select Guests sailing on the Disney Wish.

We have used MB for many WDW trips, but we’re going to DL next month and I’d rather not pay for 4 MB+ if I don’t have to. We won’t be buying Genie+, but we will have DAS. Are they only used for entering the parks and tapping on rides using DAS? And can we use the app for those things?
As @DLgal and others said, no MB+ needed (MB won't work). The DL App works extremely well for scanning the tickets and even faster than the MB+ method. You scan DAS holder first, turns blue, let the CM know DAS holder and if stairs are okay or not, then scan the remaining tickets. You don't even need to take the phone out the the slot, just cycle through the tickets quickly. The paper ticket that they give at the turnstiles does NOT have RFID scanning like WDW tickets; so only used at the turnstiles. DLR also default takes your picture instead of the finger scanners.

The DAS signup and advanced selection process also is a little different online, IMHO it's easier with DLR.

MagicBand+ is available at Walt Disney World. The MagicBands that were included free with your resort reservation won’t work, but they stopped including free MagicBands with a resort reservation in 2022, I believe. Since then, a discount has been offered to pre-purchase them. That discount DOES extend to the MagicBand+. So some folks may have Walt Disney World MagicBand+ that will work at Disneyland.

And just as something else to add - if the testing of DisneyBand on Disney Cruise Line extends to the entire fleet, MagicBand+ models will also work for Disney Cruise Line. Right now, however, it’s in a test phase only for select Guests sailing on the Disney Wish.
I was able to get $10.00 off each magic+ band I ordered recently for our 2024 WDW trip.

I was able to get $10.00 off each magic+ band I ordered recently for our 2024 WDW trip.

I think they are all on sale, company wide, right now. We bought them in DCA, at a gift shop. There weren't any signs or anything, but they rang up $10 off, except the one limited release one we got. I got my 20% AP discount on top of that. Total with tax for 3 bands was just over $90.

I think they are all on sale, company wide, right now. We bought them in DCA, at a gift shop. There weren't any signs or anything, but they rang up $10 off, except the one limited release one we got. I got my 20% AP discount on top of that. Total with tax for 3 bands was just over $90.
Oh, don’t tell me that. Several I’ve been eyeing, but fortunately that discount isn’t on shopDisney. At least on the ones I want. 😂😂😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter