Magic Band question

irazabul

Mouseketeer
I read a few threads that talked about Disney no longer providing magic bands to guests. Does this apply to DVC as well?

Magic bands are still available to everyone. They are no longer free, but you can order them.

Isn't the band our room key? So now, along with all the other loss of perks, we have to buy our room key?

Isn't the band our room key? So now, along with all the other loss of perks, we have to buy our room key?
Your key is any magic band attached to your Disney Experience or cellphone. You can still attain a room key at the front desk for no charge.
During my last several visits none of my magic bands work to open the door but all work to allow me in the parks. The explanation I was given was I had too many, 23, bands on my account. CM said another reason bands were no longer free was to discourage new bands for every visit because it taxes the system. I don’t know the truth or if the CM is correct. I have a stay this weekend and only have 3 active bands on my account now. Hopefully it works but I think I will be getting a key after it doesn’t.

CM said another reason bands were no longer free was to discourage new bands for every visit because it taxes the system

Before they dropped the free magic bands (like you, I have a lot of them), I always thought they would save money if DVC members were gifted one special, DVC-branded band every year, provided you stay at DVC. Seemed like a no-brainer, but instead they kept sending new MBs, even when we didn't request them) for weekend stays.

ETA - I just checked. I have 39 bands and/or cards.

You can also use your phone to open your room door through MDE.
Right, but is anyone else concerned their phone will die or not have enough battery life to work properly to open the door?

Reception is notoriously spotty at WDW, and having to use the phone to mobile order meals, check line queues, attempt to join a boarding group, etc all drain the battery.

Relying on my phone would just make me too anxious.

Right, but is anyone else concerned their phone will die or not have enough battery life to work properly to open the door?

Reception is notoriously spotty at WDW, and having to use the phone to mobile order meals, check line queues, attempt to join a boarding group, etc all drain the battery.

Personally, I’m not worried about battery life as I always carry a backup battery with me. And I can’t remember ever having a reception issue myself. My point was merely to say that they’re not forcing anyone to buy their room key. There are other options. As a previous poster said, we can also go to the front desk & get a card key to open our rooms if we don’t want to rely on our phones.

I get it, yes Disney has really gotten carried away with milking prices while chipping away quality and experience in many areas. Disney products have now reached 50/50 shot of getting a pile of garbage or not. The food game has made a negative about face the parks in the past couple of years. Pre-Covid WDW lost their minds trying to keep the perception of crowds high in the parks so they could sell more hard ticket events and save money on CMs at the same time.

Paying $5 one time for what used to be a free MB that can be used for at least the next 2 years didn't seem like a big deal to me relative to the thousands normally spent for those WDW trips where a MB could be a useful alternative to the other already existing free access methods for parks and rooms.

That has never concerned me.

To ease your anxiety you can get a room key (card). That way when you get to your room at the end of a long day using your phone to mobile order meals, check line queues, attempt to join a boarding group, etc., you know you can open the door with no issues.

I already got the magic bands (because I wanted to), but between reception issues, battery life and Disney's notorious IT dept, I was just wondering if anyone had the same concerns I did.

I already got the magic bands (because I wanted to), but between reception issues, battery life and Disney's notorious IT dept, I was just wondering if anyone had the same concerns I did.
I prefer using the Magic bands. I don't care to pull my phone out for every little thing and Disney property magically drains my phone battery.

I will say I will always carry a secondary one with me. My new Riviera band fell off last week while riding Rise if Resistance. Didn’t notice until we were near Mickey’s Railroad. Headed back to room and realized I’d have to use the phone. Luckily it worked but I have so many I’ll make sure I have the clip one on me too!

I will say I will always carry a secondary one with me. My new Riviera band fell off last week while riding Rise if Resistance. Didn’t notice until we were near Mickey’s Railroad. Headed back to room and realized I’d have to use the phone. Luckily it worked but I have so many I’ll make sure I have the clip one on me too!
I use something like these on my magic bands, especially in the pools since I almost lost one one year.

https://www.amazon.com/Bitbelt-Disn...ic+band&qid=1611152300&s=wearable-tech&sr=1-2

We use Bitbelt holders too - both adults and kids. Have yet to lose or have a band fall off yet...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter