Lulu201's Healthy Living Journal--Just trying my best to walk the walk! Come on by!

It's a bright and sunny :sunny: Monday morning in Southeastern PA! If I didn't know better, I'd think that we were in the end of September or beginning of October instead of getting ready for Thanksgiving NEXT WEEK!

Well, my dear Aunt Flo arrived late yesterday, but she seems to have left some of her usual baggage behind! :cool1: You're right, Doreen--maybe I'm on to something here. It's only taken, oh, let's see, 30+ years for me to figure it out!?! :p

Last night I had a church-related dinner to go to; the desserts came rolling out--the caramel apple walnut pie that I brought, a carrot cake birthday cake, and a homemade butter cake--and I wasn't even tempted. Seriously. Does everyone understand the hugeness of that statement???? It's the deepest darkest day of the DZone, and I'm not in the tug-of-war with food!! :Pinkbounc I feel some semblance of order and control in my life! It's downright amazing!! :Pinkbounc

Today is day #20 of O.S.F., and at this moment I feel a huge sense of gratitude that God has led me safe thus far! It's only through faith that I ever stepped off the side of the cliff and took on this challenge; it's only through faith that I can be conservatively optimistic that I'm going to keep going another day (or 345!). One day at a time, right? And I know that if I fall tomorrow. . .if by some chance I make a bad choice. . .the last 20 days have shown me what a difference maintaining a stable blood sugar can have in the way I feel. I'm grateful for that.

So, what's today's plan?

1. Devotions: :)
2. Vitamins :)
3. Water--enjoying the first of many glasses
4. Exercise--have to get out and walk in this sunshine. Also have to get on the treadie and walk out some back pain and cramping that I've got.
5. Food--multi-grain english muffin w/pb, coffee w/milk, 1/2 banana. Need some high protein foods for lunch and dinner along with some complex carbs.
6. Scale--didn't get on this morning.
7. Caffeine--nothing after noon. Last night there wasn't anything s.f. to drink except diet coke, so I let myself have one. . . at my usual bedtime my eyes were wide open. :earseek:

Today's a busy day. I have lots of phone calls to make, housework to do, children to teach. I'm going to pace myself and get things done the best I can; there are many things going on this week. I have students performing Fri., Sat., and Sun., plus I teach at the preschool on Thursday morning. The good news is that NEXT WEEK I'M ON VACATION FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK! :Pinkbounc Woo-hoo!

:love: and :goodvibes to all,
Erin

Hi Erin,

Thank you for your support! It means a great deal to me to know that so many of my WISH friends are praying for us and helping us to get through some challenging times. :goodvibes

I hope you have a wonderful day today! :sunny:

Hi, Tracy. Thanks for stopping by!

Today is Tuesday, November 15, 2005! :flower:

Here's the plan for today:

1. Devotions--will do
2. Vitamins--will take
3. Water--have had one
4. Exercise--none; I should get out on the treadie this a.m.
5. Food--2 slices of wheat bread, pb, coffee w/a little milk
6. Scale--didn't look at
7. Caffeine--none after this morning

Well, I now know when my official hormonal crash is each month; I hit the wall last night. It started with yesterday afternoon--I decided I could have some reg. coffee instead of decaf 'cause I was feeling, well, you know, kinda tired and draggy. :rolleyes: Then I started thinking about chocolate and candy. Now I stayed s.f., but I decided I "needed something" and went to Acme on my way home from work. I bought grape nuts and pretzels. As innocent as they sound, they are highly potent carbo triggers for me. And I bought them. I had a few pretzels on my way home in the car and then a big bowl of cereal before I went to bed. As I write this, I'm overwhelmed at how I sound like an addict. I knew my body was asking for this stuff. . .I know all the chemical reasons: low estrogen, low serotonin, etc., but I don't know if it was right or wrong to supply myself with this.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic--I know that grapenuts aren't illegal substances :p --but I have to think this through: so my body is craving carbs. I reach for the quick fix--white flour (pretzels) and complex carbs (grapenuts). (I stopped short of drinking a couple of tall glasses of o.j. which my body wanted. That's progress.) I know, though, that when I haven't had carbs or sugars, my body upregulates (?I think that's the term) and makes more receptors for the sugars in these products. . .it loves and responds to them quicker and deeper than before O.S.F. (according to radiantrecovery) so my reaction to them is more intense. Slipping up like this is harder then to pull away from; it's harder to get back on track.

So, was it worth it? In the short term, yes. I felt a deep craving, I gave in, and it felt good. But in the long run, no. Now I have to detox again. Not to the extent that I had to detox last month, but I'll still have to get over this hump. Now today my blood sugar is going to be wacky. This morning I feel jumpy and tense; there isn't a peaceful centeredness there. What would have been a better coping strategy? Well, I could've allowed myself to feel the craving and just lived with it. I could've come home and picked up my crocheting so I had something relaxing to do. I could've come to the WISH and journalled. I could've prayed. I could've had my high carbo nighttime snack and reminded myself that I'd feel better in the morning. I could've analyzed my foods and see if I'm getting enough protein.

OK, I think I've processed this experience. I've learned a few things. Now I have to put up with the discomfort today and not give in to unhealthy foods.
I have to realize that the time pre-TOM isn't as difficult as the first couple of days Aunt Flo is in town.

Geesh, can't I just have some Reese Cups and forget about this healthy living stuff??? :p

I'm moving onward through the day. I'd better look Up; if not I'll have my hand in the candy jar!

Erin

After yesterday's ramblings, today will be short and sweet:

It's November 16, 2005

Today's plan:

1. Devotions :)
Daily Thoughts:
A Time to Think:
No one has ever become poor by giving. --Anne Frank
To Act:
Reach out. Be aware of the smallest opportunity to make a difference and act on it.
To Pray:
Father, may my gifts to others reflect Your timeless love.
2. Vitamins--have to lay them out
3. Water--haven't started yet
4. Exercise--might walk Mickey around the block, but haven't been back on the treadie.
5. Food--whole grain english muffin w/pb, 1/2 banana. Lunch will be tuna sandwich and green peppers. Dinner will be something similar
6. Scale--still avoiding it
7. Caffeine--none in the p.m.

It's a new day and I'm going to try again.

Moving onward and looking Upward,
Erin

Hi Erin,

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your PM. I appreciate you help and support. Thank you. I wasn't in a place that I could verbalize what I was feeling.

I love your analogy of laundry to the albatross. That is exactly how I feel.

You are doing amazing! The SF thing seems to be working. Your posts are sounding much calmer. The pretzels and grapenuts are going to be out of your system soon, and DZOne will too. Hold on and ride the wave. You've been successful before.

I am sorry to hear about DH's ptjob. I will pray for your family.

Take care,
Beth

:sunny: The sun is back out!! :sunny:
Yeah, the cold weather has come, .... but the sun is out!! :sunny:

Can you tell I'm working really hard to see the positive side of things today?? :teeth:

Dear princess: Lulu, I wish you a wonderful day, filled with happy :teeth:, many :goodvibes , lots of :sunny: , a :hug: or two, even a good :rotfl2: . I'm blessed immeasureably because you are in my life! :flower:

:sunny: It's so nice to have friends drop by. Hi, Beth! Hi, Doreen! :sunny:

This has got to be quick--I've got to be at work by 8:30 and I still haven't showered or picked out what I'm going to wear!

Yesterday was better--stress-wise and food-wise, but I've got that same holiday fear thing going that Doreen does, even though I keep telling myself "this year will be different." Just the keeping up with the day to day is enough for me!

I forgot to take my vitamins yesterday, but I did drink lots of water.

I've got things on track for today; I had a nice breakfast full of protein and complex carbs.

On my way into the day--
Erin

I have to tell you that I really like to read your devotions comments and when you post daily thoughts. Those are so inspirational to me, especially when I'm having a bad and hard day. Thank you. I'm sorry to hear about your dh's job. I hope things work out.

Hope you enjoy your vacation time. Sounds like it will be much deserved!!!!

Take care
Keep on :banana: :banana:
Chris

:sunny: Good morning! It's Friday, November 18, 2005 :sunny:

I'm hanging in there. Yesterday I ate too many carbs at the end of the day, but I did have a couple of protein-rich meals. Today I'll strive to do better. Here's the plan:

1. Devotions
Daily Thoughts:
A Time to Think:
To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun? --Katherine Graham
To Act:
Open your arms to beautiful moments and they will come to you.
To Pray:
Lord, help me to see the extraordinary achievements of everyday life.
2. Vitamins--I'll finally put them in the little pill box. What kind of vitamins do I take? How long ya got? No, seriously here's what I take: a female-friendly multi-vitamin, fish oil, flaxseed oil, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin 3, vitamin c, and calcium. My husband's really into suppliments; I let him research and then I decide if I want to take it.
3. Water--I don't really think I had enough yesterday; I'll drink more today.
4. Exercise--I'm beat from yesterday's long day. The sun is shining, so I may get out and walk Mickey, but I won't start back on my regular walking until the weekend.
5. Food--oatmeal surprise this morning; probably chicken and salad for lunch, tuna for dinner.
6. Scale--190 this a.m.
7. Caffeine--none this p.m.

Not overly bothered by the scale. . .I'm bothered, but not, you know, BOTHERED.
I'm on my way out of the DZone now and I think my attitude and energy levels will just keep improving. When I add exercise back in and drink more water, I hope to flush those extra lbs. right outa here. I'm just happy that I've made it 24 days without overt sugars. That's an accomplishment.

I hope everyone has a good weekend; I'll try to get around and visit journals during the next few days.

Erin :shamrock:

Good job on keeping away from the overt sugars. That IS a great accomplishment, as you said. Keep up the good work and I think you are right, once you are out of the DZone you will be able to flush those pounds away!!!!!

Have a good weekend
Keep on :banana: :banana:
Chris

Hi Erin,

I'm just checking in to see how you are doing. I hope you have a wonderful and memorable holiday.

Take care,
Beth

Good grief! It's been almost 10 days since I posted here at the WISH! Silly me! Time is getting away from me.

I've been fine. Had a great Thanksgiving with family, have the Christmas tree up, and now I'm ready to enjoy the Christmas holidays. We've got tons of musical commitments at church--it's going to be a fun season. :goodvibes

Tomorrow I have to get on the scale. Right before Thanksgiving I was at 188; I lost 2 lbs. last month. My new goal is to have lost 3 more by Christmas. To do that, I'm going to have to tow the line, but with the exception of Thanksgiving day, I've been true to Operation Sugar Freedom, and that has helped me tremendously.

I'm going to go read a few journals.

:grouphug: to all,
Erin

Good morning Erin!

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well and that you had a nice Thanksgiving. :goodvibes I missed you over those 10 days! ::yes::

Thank you so much for your post in my journal. :hug: My DH has been trying to tell me the same thing. :blush: Thank you, Erin! :hug:

Have a blessed week! :sunny:

November 29. 2005~~Tuesday

I'm tired today. Too much running around the last couple of days, I guess. I'm getting all the cues from my body that I need some down time, so I'm going to take my time today and move through the day with baby steps. It's going to be a long day--rehearsal after work, so I probably won't be home until 9 or so.

Today:

1. Devotions--will do
2. Vitamins--will take
3. Water--drank a lot yesterday, will drink more today
4. Exercise--if I listen to my body, I won't do it. My body says rest. I think I need to push against this, though, and do some moderate exercise. Walking on the treadie at my 3.3-3.8 mph pace sure is going to hurt me! I need to do this to take care of myself
5. Food--oatmeal surprise for breakfast. Yesterday I came home and overate.
Today I want to beef things up with more fruits and veggies.
6. Scale--not today
7. Caffeine--nothing after lunch

Not exciting, but such is life.

Erin

Hi Erin,

I am sending some prayers to help you through your long day. Those baby steps can take you miles, WISH Sis.

I am going to be carrying you with me in my heart as I walk around the World Showcase.

Take care of yourself,
Beth

Hi Erin,

Thank you so much for all of the encouragement and support that you have given me over the past few months. Your posts have brought so much happiness and wisdom to my day. I thank God for you! :hug:

I pray that you have a wonderful weekend! :sunny: See ya when I get back from Disney! :cool1:

It's Monday, Decemeber 5, 2005, and outside my window today it's a Winter Wonderland!

It was a nice, relaxing weekend. Saturday we all went to work (DD included) until about 11:30, then in the afternoon I did a little stocking stuffer shopping. We went out to eat and then to Target and Kohl's and called it a day. Yesterday was chuch, produce shopping, washing and napping, and then our program at church (which was really nice). This morning it's back to the laundry and some more house cleaning before I go into work around noon.

The weather channel is calling for some snow tonight--wonder what will come our way? DD has an evening rehearsal; it might be canceled if the weather's not good.

As far as healthy living goes, I didn't do too badly over the weekend. I stayed sugar and binge free. I didn't exercise or take my vitamins. I got lots of rest.
I'm ready for a new week!

Today:

1. Devotions
A Time to Think:
In necessary things, unity; in disputed things, liberty; in all things, charity. -Anonymous
To Act:
Be patient, have faith and work towards what you desire.
To Pray:
Dear Lord, help me to open myself up to the happiness that is mine today
2. Vitamins--OK
3. Water--one glass done
4. Exercise--30 minutes on the treadie; 5x this week is the plan.
5. Food: oatmeal surprise for breakfast. Lunch will be a tuna sandwich on a roll, an apple, and some veggies. Dinner will be something along the same lines.
6. Scale--not today.
7. Caffeine--done for the day

So, that's the scoop. I'm happy with my plan and looking forward to the day!

Erin

Hey, everybody. :wave2: It's nice to be here.

It's Tuesday, and I'm ready to slowly take on the day. Yesterday I was in my TOM blue funk, but today at least my blueness has some spark to it! :flower: (blue flower, get it?) Anyway, I'm going to bypass ALL overt sugar today; I caved a few days ago. Today, though, I'm ready to rise above the Call of the Sweet and treat myself in a healthy way.

Here's what I'm gonna do:

1. Devotions :sunny:
2. Vitamins :sunny:
3. Water--already started
4. Exercise--15 min or so on the treadie is better than nothing
5. Food--NO SUGAR
6. Scale-- :rolleyes: Haven't gone there in a few days. Tomorrow for sure!
7. Caffeine--a cup of green tea in the p.m. if I'm totally dogging it.

I'm off and running!

Erin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter