Luggage and DME

EsmeCullen

Mouseketeer
I have a luggage tag so the DME can get my suitcase for me and deliver it to the hotel, but part of me is paranoid. I suppose I could get my bag myself, but I like the idea of booking it straight to the DME when I get off the plane. Has anyone ever had any bad experiences with luggage transportation? Is it reliable? I’m just afraid my luggage will get lost.

I'm sure that somebody, sometime has had a bad experience with this but we seldom hear of one here on the DIS. If the airlines mis-route your luggage its hundreds/thousands of miles away. If Disney mis-routes your luggage its only 5 miles away. Easy to recover!

I have a luggage tag so the DME can get my suitcase for me and deliver it to the hotel, but part of me is paranoid. I suppose I could get my bag myself, but I like the idea of booking it straight to the DME when I get off the plane. Has anyone ever had any bad experiences with luggage transportation? Is it reliable? I’m just afraid my luggage will get lost.
We've only had good luck with luggage through DME. It's soooo nice knowing you don't have to wait for your luggage at the baggage carousel. IF for whatever reason, something DOES happen, Disney is great at retrieving the luggage. I would pack a day's worth of clothes (and a bathing suit) in your carry on, along with you must needed items. What time does your flight land?

We've only had good luck with luggage through DME. It's soooo nice knowing you don't have to wait for your luggage at the baggage carousel. IF for whatever reason, something DOES happen, Disney is great at retrieving the luggage. I would pack a day's worth of clothes (and a bathing suit) in your carry on, along with you must needed items. What time does your flight land?

2:40pm on March 4th.

Thank you both for your replies. I’ve just never done DME before.

2:40pm on March 4th.

Thank you both for your replies. I’ve just never done DME before.
In my experience, I received my luggage about 4 hours after landing. We had packed our swim suits in the carry on and as were headed to the pool, the CM had just arrived with our bags. We thanked him and gave him a tip and everything turned out fine.

No bad experience with DME. But my luggage was stolen off the carousel one time. I think DME is more secure.

We have used the DME luggage service countless times and only once had an issue, and I blame it on the airline entirely. Our first flight was delayed causing us to miss our connection by the time we landed, so they re-booked us on a new connecting flight, when they did this they re-tagged our bags and must have removed our ME tags in the process. When we arrived at our resort after a day in the parks with our bags nowhere in sight I called ME, told them what I thought may have happened and gave them our claim numbers, they tracked down our bags, and had them to us, in less than two hours, I was very impressed! When they arrived without the original ME tags and new airline tags it confirmed my suspicion that the airline likely removed the ME tags when they changed our flight.

We have had one bad experience and about 8 good ones. Our trip last February the yellow tag got ripped off hubbys suitcase and didn’t get picked up by them. We reported it and they took all his info and tracked it down by the end of the next day. We always cross pack our suitcases and were so grateful that we did that trip!

We have used the DME luggage service countless times and only once had an issue, and I blame it on the airline entirely. Our first flight was delayed causing us to miss our connection by the time we landed, so they re-booked us on a new connecting flight, when they did this they re-tagged our bags and must have removed our ME tags in the process. When we arrived at our resort after a day in the parks with our bags nowhere in sight I called ME, told them what I thought may have happened and gave them our claim numbers, they tracked down our bags, and had them to us, in less than two hours, I was very impressed! When they arrived without the original ME tags and new airline tags it confirmed my suspicion that the airline likely removed the ME tags when they changed our flight.

We have had one bad experience and about 8 good ones. Our trip last February the yellow tag got ripped off hubbys suitcase and didn’t get picked up by them. We reported it and they took all his info and tracked it down by the end of the next day. We always cross pack our suitcases and were so grateful that we did that trip!

Especially in the first case, you could always stop briefly at the counter (I know...people are allergic to things taking longer, but...) and give them the tracking numbers on the bags and explain what happened. That way they could go ahead and be on the lookout for them.

I only do carry-on, so it is a non-issue for me, but if I had to check a bag, I’d take that extra little time just to be safe.

Especially in the first case, you could always stop briefly at the counter (I know...people are allergic to things taking longer, but...) and give them the tracking numbers on the bags and explain what happened. That way they could go ahead and be on the lookout for them.

I only do carry-on, so it is a non-issue for me, but if I had to check a bag, I’d take that extra little time just to be safe.

Not sure why you think that I was just trying to save myself time, that didn't enter into the situation at all. I certainly could have gone to the counter, although I wouldn't have had to because you can give them claim numbers at the podium when they tell you what line to go to (I have brought extra bags and done exactly that many times), but at that time I had no idea that the ME tags were no longer on my bag. I got to my connecting airport and my original flight had left and the airline counter re-booked me, I had no idea they would remove the ME tags, as they had no reason to, they just needed to replace their own tags. Once I saw that my bags were not in the room after many hours in the parks, I guessed that something happened when my connection was re-booked, called ME they took care of me with no complaints.

Not sure why you think that I was just trying to save myself time, that didn't enter into the situation at all. I certainly could have gone to the counter, although I wouldn't have had to because you can give them claim numbers at the podium when they tell you what line to go to (I have brought extra bags and done exactly that many times), but at that time I had no idea that the ME tags were no longer on my bag. I got to my connecting airport and my original flight had left and the airline counter re-booked me, I had no idea they would remove the ME tags, as they had no reason to, they just needed to replace their own tags. Once I saw that my bags were not in the room after many hours in the parks, I guessed that something happened when my connection was re-booked, called ME they took care of me with no complaints.

I wasn’t suggesting that you specifically were trying to save time - many on here are though. I’m sorry if it sounded that way.

I was just saying if it were me and I knew they were going to be retagging the bags, I would just go on the assumption that any non-ID tags were removed and give them my tracking numbers, explaining that there is a possibility they were removed due to flight changes. It could save the having to do without it for a while.

I've used ME several times and never had a problem with the luggage service. I do always pack one change of clothes and stuff that I would not be able to do without in my carry-on just in case, but I do that for any airline travel and not just when I am using ME. I did have a really late night flight to Orlando once and I retrieved my own bag instead of using the ME luggage tags because I didn't want to wait hours for my bag. That worked just fine too.

Not sure what you mean. The yellow tag that identifies it to be sorted to Disney ripped off without our knowledge either during the flight or at the airport. Our ID was on it. We only knew that’s why the suitcase wasn’t picked up once Disney found it for us in unclaimed luggage. We were on a direct flight, bags picked up by DME except the one. It was 9 at night, bags delivered at 11 and they said the missing one may show up in the night. They took our info the next day and found it.

Not sure what you mean. The yellow tag ripped off without our knowledge. We only knew that’s why the suitcase wasn’t picked up once Disney found it for us in unclaimed luggage. We were on a direct flight, bags picked up by DME except the one. It was 9 at night, bags delivered at 11 and they said the missing one may show up in the night. They took our info the next day and found it.

I was just saying that for me - because I have had AIRLINE tags ripped off by airport machines before, I would take the extra time to give them my claim numbers to check against. Just a measure of added security if I had to check a bag. Thankfully being solo it is rare that I do.

I was just saying that for me - because I have had AIRLINE tags ripped off by airport machines before, I would take the extra time to give them my claim numbers to check against. Just a measure of added security if I had to check a bag. Thankfully being solo it is rare that I do.

You would give who your numbers?? The dme people? Or Disney to find your suitcase? When you use DME your suitcase doesn’t go on the carousel at all, it’s sorted behind the scenes.

You would give who your numbers?? The dme people? Or Disney to find your suitcase? When you use DME your suitcase doesn’t go on the carousel at all, it’s sorted behind the scenes.

Yes, the DME people. You always have that option to give them the numbers - some people never receive tags and some people end up having to check bags because of no space on the plane and had not put the tags on. So they do check the “abandoned” bags if necessary.

Don't want to jinx myself, but so far so good, in terms of DME yellow tag service.

In my experience, I received my luggage about 4 hours after landing. We had packed our swim suits in the carry on and as were headed to the pool, the CM had just arrived with our bags. We thanked him and gave him a tip and everything turned out fine.

for the future and for others, the delivery-to-the-room tip is covered for the dme bag delivery. We don’t have to tip again. (Notice that they deliver it even when we aren’t there, but almost never do that for bags we leave with Bell on our own)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter