Luau Recommendations

bevotex

Bevo with Mouse Ears
To those that can compare the Aulani Luau to others, can you recommend other luaus or is the Aulani one better? TIA

I have been to a lot of luaus and I thought Aulani was one of the best. We like the Royal Hawaiian and it is similar to level of service but I thought Aulani had a better show. Paradise cove has a good show but the crowd is just too large, they bring in tour busses. The Chief luau is fun in particular for those who have been to other luaus because the Cheif is quite a story teller, but the food and service can not compare. Overall Aulani had a nice size crowd, food better than average, excellent service good show, big cast , good MCs, good location and you do not have to drive to get there.

We did Paradise Cove and bought the VIP seats because we wanted to have great seats (and I wanted good pics). I really couldn’t tell you if it was crowded because we got to do everything first and had our food and drinks brought to us. I thought the show was excellent. The food was fine but nothing memorable.

We did VIP at both Paradise Cove and Aulani. As an adult couple we found Paradise Cove better on nearly all aspects (the food was better at Aulani, and you get to see Mickey and Minnie, but I think that was it).
I imagine it could be very different if you have children or are not VIP. I considered doing a review so people could see the differences but I think there is so much personal preference.

We just did the luau an hour ago and it was fabulous. The venue is very intimate. Everyone has good seats, which I'm sure you'll read about if you read through many of the posts on luaus here on this forum. The thing that sets it apart is the service - it's very organized and thorough. Our server was fantastic. And the food - the food was so good!

Drinks were just OK - heavy handed pours so can't complain. Basic kind of wedding bar service - bartenders are trying to get you through quickly. The prices for drinks were around $13-15 for cocktails, $6 for soft drinks, and $5 for bottled water (glasses of water are poured at the table). VIP includes all drinks in the ticket price. Coffee/tea/juices (2 different kinds) are included for all and set up on a separate buffet station. I can't imagine not liking anything on the buffet. Lots of choices to choose from including traditional pork (with the head on it) and prime rib. The desserts were great - amazing brownies, banana bread pudding with delicious sauce, lots of traditional / authentic desserts like guava cake, huapia (coconut).Traditional Disney style - folks with allergies are taken around individually to the food stations and cast members thoroughly discuss allergies and what is/is not safe.

The luau was interesting - the story is specific to the region that Aulani is located in. They talked about Ewa (historical & present day) and Ko Olina, as well as Ka'ena Point - which is NW of us. I liked how it was specific to this region. I was anticipating a luau about all the Pacific Islands, but it was cool that they catered it to this locaton. Nice touches for the kids here & there. Length of time was perfect.

We splurged for VIP because we're a party of all adults - we all drink - and also we wanted to sit close to the stage. One and done kind of thing - I don't know when we'll be back to Hawaii or when we'll do a luau again. We liked being able to get in first & also eat first. But like I said, there's no bad seat - the venue is very small and intimate.

The one thing I didn't like was all the screaming children - but parents were pretty good at taking their screaming child out, etc. I mean, it's Disney so we should be used to screaming kids, right? I'm not sure if there were more kids here at this luau than other luaus, but I imagine if we went to another luau - if it weren't screaming kids, it'd be drunk adults, or folks standing up and taking photos with flash.... there's always something and it's totally dependent on how courteous your fellow audience members are.

My parents did Hilton Hawaiian Village's luau & they said the food was really bad (salty), it was on the rooftop of the parking garage so the ambience was worse, and it was also much, much more crowded. They said Disney wins hands down. Hope this helps.

@bevotex totally OT but seeing your username, I assume you’re a football fan. I actually met a couple (just happened to be standing right next to them) who were students at Alabama when I was AND we have a mutual friend who was there too!! Talk about a “small world” moment!! So all that to say Roll Tide 😝. But if you have any other Aulani or Hawaii questions, I’ll do my best to answer. You’ll have an amazing time!

I am planning to visit in September and was wondering if you have to stay at the resort to reserve a spot at the luau or can I stay somewhere else and just visit the resort along with dinning at the luau? TIA

I am planning to visit in September and was wondering if you have to stay at the resort to reserve a spot at the luau or can I stay somewhere else and just visit the resort along with dinning at the luau? TIA
Anyone can book for the luau - I've read about people driving down from Waikiki on other forums. Likewise you can visit the resort and book a spa treatment or eat at the restaurants. You cannot however use the pools, hot tubs, slides, lazy river, sun lounges that are both poolside or beachside.

Anyone can book for the luau - I've read about people driving down from Waikiki on other forums. Likewise you can visit the resort and book a spa treatment or eat at the restaurants. You cannot however use the pools, hot tubs, slides, lazy river, sun lounges that are both poolside or beachside.
That's good to know! Thank you!

@bevotex totally OT but seeing your username, I assume you’re a football fan. I actually met a couple (just happened to be standing right next to them) who were students at Alabama when I was AND we have a mutual friend who was there too!! Talk about a “small world” moment!! So all that to say Roll Tide 😝. But if you have any other Aulani or Hawaii questions, I’ll do my best to answer. You’ll have an amazing time!
And I will raise you a Geaux Tigers! :flower1:

And I will raise you a Geaux Tigers! :flower1:
Hee hee!! You deserve all of those you want for the next year! After we were there to watch you beat us at home, I told DH “well, we DID get to see the national champions play...” LOL I also told him all along that Coach O was the right guy for that job and he didn’t believe me. Congrats!!

Hee hee!! You deserve all of those you want for the next year! After we were there to watch you beat us at home, I told DH “well, we DID get to see the national champions play...” LOL I also told him all along that Coach O was the right guy for that job and he didn’t believe me. Congrats!!
It was an amazing season. I was at Aulani in my room watching the game. I did miss part of the 3rd quarter to see the sunset tho.:cool2:

It was an amazing season. I was at Aulani in my room watching the game. I did miss part of the 3rd quarter to see the sunset tho.:cool2:
I wish we’d have swapped places!! LOL. Although going to Gameday and SEC Nation was fun! Bucket list!!

Aulani's is the best by far. Splurge for the VIP and get the free drinks. You also get the best tables

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter