Looks like we will be attending the Podcast cruise

drakethib

DIS Veteran
I just realized that the cruise is in 2009, not 2008. :confused3 I have sent a pm to Tracy to get my pricing set a few minutes ago.

Guess it is time for new classes and a hearing aid as I know it has been mentioned on the podcast as well as the boards.

I do have one question as I am a cruise newbie and I cannot tell from the website, what is the biggest difference between a category 5 / 6 verses a cat 4?

One other question and I am going to get laughed at by everyone, but I am an overprotective dad and I am worried about my little one on board.

Can someone reassure me of the safety features on board? (Go ahead and laugh)

I know thousands of kids have been on board already, but make me feel better.

Thanks

Welcome aboard, drake and family!

Since I'm a newbie to cruising too, I'll let someone else answer your questions. Just happy you're coming!

Congratulations on booking the cruise! You all will have a blast. I'm jealous, but I haven't given up hope yet!

As for the safety of your little one, she's a cutie btw, my youngest was 3 on his first cruise. She'll be in good hands. The cruise staff is wonderful, no pun intended. I was nervous too because my ds has a peanut allergy, so I'm always nervous!:) Disney goes above and beyond when it comes to the safety of their passengers. If you have any concerns just let the cruise staff know, and they will kindly discuss them with you. I felt so comfortable that he even ate with the kids club while we went to Palo. His allergy was marked on his bracelet, and he ate with a cm. The head waiter came to our table at every meal to go over the menu with us. I can't say enough good things about the cm on the ships...really.

How old will she be at that time? The Mickey pool gets crowded, but there is a cm watching, I'm not sure if it's they're are certified life guards or not. Parents are on the sides watching or in the pool with them. If that still bothers you, just go to the pool on off times.

If you have more specific questions, just ask.

You and your family will have a great time. We've created monsters...our kids would rather go on a Disney Cruise then go to WDW. (My brainwashing is working!:goodvibes )

we have been on 7 cruises with our little one. First trip she took at 6 months. She loves it. She is 2 now. We get inside cabins or a cabin with a window. Decks on most ships have high railings. You just have to plan activities depending on your childrens ages.

The Cat. 4 are slightly larger, sleep either 4 or 5 and are mostly located on deck 8. The Cat 5 and 6 sleep 3 to 4 and are on decks 6 and 7.

Regarding safety, all the verandah room either have a solid metal rail or covered with plexiglass. So falling through is not possible. If your daughter is a climber you can ask your cabin host to remove chair/table or consider a non-verandah room. A child opening the sliding glassdoor is near impossible. The handle and locks are fairly high up. The doors are heavy also. Heck, I had a tough time opening them.

I don't know a whole lot about the kids clubs other then once my nephews were in, getting them out was damn near impossible. They never wanted to leave. I know they had to be signed in and out and that their parents had pagers.

:woohoo: Yay, another one! Welcome, drake!

(OT - Corey, have you been moving the smilies around? I had to search for the little woohoo guy. We need woohoo guy to be easily accesible here on the podcast board! We do a lot of woohoo-ing when new cruisers come 'on board'! :teeth:)

Welcome aboard. Glad you are joining us!

:woohoo: Yay, another one! Welcome, drake!

(OT - Corey, have you been moving the smilies around? I had to search for the little woohoo guy. We need woohoo guy to be easily accesible here on the podcast board! We do a lot of woohoo-ing when new cruisers come 'on board'! :teeth:)
I know, my little :scared1: guy got moved to the back page...and you know how often I need to call upon HIM.

Leave Corey alone...he's working on a cruise logo for us (well I've got my fingers crossed anyway)! I'm sorry but he just doesn't have time for any smilie issues right now. :snooty:

I'm sure the whole DIS Unplugged gang must just *love* they way we all take it upon ourselves to speak on their behalf. :p

Drake -- so happy to hear you'll be joining us!

The Cat. 4 are slightly larger, sleep either 4 or 5 and are mostly located on deck 8. The Cat 5 and 6 sleep 3 to 4 and are on decks 6 and 7.

Regarding safety, all the verandah room either have a solid metal rail or covered with plexiglass. So falling through is not possible. If your daughter is a climber you can ask your cabin host to remove chair/table or consider a non-verandah room. A child opening the sliding glassdoor is near impossible. The handle and locks are fairly high up. The doors are heavy also. Heck, I had a tough time opening them.

I don't know a whole lot about the kids clubs other then once my nephews were in, getting them out was damn near impossible. They never wanted to leave. I know they had to be signed in and out and that their parents had pagers.

Is the 4 worth the extra $$$?

I know everyone will say persoanl prefernce but is there any big advantages on a 4 vs 5?

Is the 4 worth the extra $$$?

I know everyone will say persoanl prefernce but is there any big advantages on a 4 vs 5?

Category 4 staterooms are 304 square feet and category 5,6 and 7 staterooms are 268 square feet.

Category 4 staterooms are more expensive that category 5, 6 or 7. Usually much more expensive.

The diference between category 5 and 6 is location. Catgory 5 staterooms are on a higher deck. Thats the only difference.

The difference between categories 5 & 6 and category 7 is that category 7 staterooms have an obstructed view from the verandah and the location is different.

Here is a description of each stateroom category:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/staterooms.htm

And here are the deck plans:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/deck-plans.htm

Hope that helps.

Glad you'll be joining us. The thought of ME on the ship is a bit scary, so I understand your fears with your daughter. My DH was a little disappointed that our cruise isn't until May '09. He thought it was this year.

Another thing that I found comforting is that Deck 9 is almost completely "glassed" in. That's the deck where the pool area is and besides the kids club, probably where your little one will spend the most time. Deck 10 and other outside decks have very high railings, much taller than a small child. It would be a bit intimidating to climb those, I would think, even for a young daredevil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter