Lookout Cay long pier.

Disney has a lot of smart people in imagineering so they could have figured a way to move passengers from the ship to the island with minimum environmental harm. They just chose the inexpensive way in my opinion. If the environment is such a concern to Eleuthera and the Bahamas then they would have banned cruise ships period.
Yeah! Why didn't Disney just use magic to overcome engineering rules and physics and stuff? I demand better, Disney!

I don't mean to mock, but this is getting silly. It's been explained here numerous times that Disney had a hard time getting this project approved and that they were required to make a lot of concessions for environmental reasons. The pier is what it is because other options were worse. If you don't like it, then you don't have to go to LP. There are plenty of other cruises out there for you!

It's my opinion there were probably other options but DCL went the cheap route. I find it amusing that whenever someone is critical of Disney here the same people belittle the person making those critical observations. It's almost like they work for Disney's PR machine. 🙂
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT GO the responses you get seem like they come from toddlers how dare you have an opposing opinion

For the 100th time we are not referring to adults or kids with disabilities.
Except my son’s disability is not a traditional mobility impairment and does not require a handicap accessible room. So from what people are saying, he wouldn’t qualify for a golf cart. And if he did from what I am hearing he might have a 2 hour wait on the pier for one. Which his disability makes impossible (that’s why they have DAS at Disney parks). And even if the wait wasn’t too bad, his two brothers would understandably be jealous they had to walk in the sun while their brother got the VIP treatment, when it isn’t easy on anyone.
So yes, we are talking about him, because this absolutely affects him and our whole family.

But I’m also not narrow minded enough to assume that parents of kids without special needs would also find this challenging. It’s why the stroller rental business is booming at disney world, so many kids need help on longer walks than they do at home.

And this also affects ordinary adults who are not officially disabled but are prone to fainting in heat, not physically fit (which despite all the snide comments in this thread is not some sort of moral failure) or like my husband right now who is a physically fit marathon runner most times but a is dealing with a muscle injury at the moment that makes walking painful, yet I know if we were there right now he would walk through the pain and never request a golf cart for himself, partly out of wanting to leave it for people who need it more than him, and partly because he would have to leave me to wrangle three kids on my own, since again, there are not enough golf carts for families to ride together. I imagine there are lots of older folks who feel the same and would rather stick together as a family and yes that’s a choice but it’s a crummy one to have to make on vacation.

So no, we (1) do get talk about disabled people, because the system isn’t well designed for them either, and (2) we get to talk about everyone else too, because you don’t need a disability to be inconvenienced by this.

And I am not cancelling my cruise. My cruise is paid in full, flights are booked, DVC points used for the hotel stay, time off obtained at work (and our company has a use it or lose it vacation policy) and family has been looking forward to it since disney first announced a new island, and I am very much hopeful disney will have made this better by the time we go. If they don’t we will survive of course, but I if nothing changes it will surely be an unpleasant experience, and I have every right to be unhappy about that because Disney cruises are our happy place and are usually the one place we can go where everyone has a great time.

Except my son’s disability is not a traditional mobility impairment and does not require a handicap accessible room. So from what people are saying, he wouldn’t qualify for a golf cart. And if he did from what I am hearing he might have a 2 hour wait on the pier for one. Which his disability makes impossible (that’s why they have DAS at Disney parks). And even if the wait wasn’t too bad, his two brothers would understandably be jealous they had to walk in the sun while their brother got the VIP treatment, when it isn’t easy on anyone.
So yes, we are talking about him, because this absolutely affects him and our whole family.

But I’m also not narrow minded enough to assume that parents of kids without special needs would also find this challenging. It’s why the stroller rental business is booming at disney world, so many kids need help on longer walks than they do at home.

And this also affects ordinary adults who are not officially disabled but are prone to fainting in heat, not physically fit (which despite all the snide comments in this thread is not some sort of moral failure) or like my husband right now who is a physically fit marathon runner most times but a is dealing with a muscle injury at the moment that makes walking painful, yet I know if we were there right now he would walk through the pain and never request a golf cart for himself, partly out of wanting to leave it for people who need it more than him, and partly because he would have to leave me to wrangle three kids on my own, since again, there are not enough golf carts for families to ride together. I imagine there are lots of older folks who feel the same and would rather stick together as a family and yes that’s a choice but it’s a crummy one to have to make on vacation.

So no, we (1) do get talk about disabled people, because the system isn’t well designed for them either, and (2) we get to talk about everyone else too, because you don’t need a disability to be inconvenienced by this.

And I am not cancelling my cruise. My cruise is paid in full, flights are booked, DVC points used for the hotel stay, time off obtained at work (and our company has a use it or lose it vacation policy) and family has been looking forward to it since disney first announced a new island, and I am very much hopeful disney will have made this better by the time we go. If they don’t we will survive of course, but I if nothing changes it will surely be an unpleasant experience, and I have every right to be unhappy about that because Disney cruises are our happy place and are usually the one place we can go where everyone has a great time.
You don’t need to be in an HA room to request a golf cart. And I’m not sure who is reporting a 2 hour wait but that is insane. It is like a 10 minute round trip and there has never been that many people that need it that makes it a 2 hour wait

Please, if you need a golf cart for ANY reason, do request one. You won’t be taking a spot away from someone else. The golf carts will go back and forth until everyone is on the island. As for families choosing to stay together and potentially running into trouble rather than take a golf cart, you would only be separated from your family for minutes and reunited at the tram stop. Better to be safe than sorry.
The crew are not judging anyone who is asking for help so please take it if needed

You have made a lot of choices that got you here, including choosing to listen to people who have never been there and really don't know what they are talking about. I have seen only one eye witness account after the first cruise to suggest there is a problem requesting a cart, the majority have said their requests were honored. Most accounts also say the system is improving as they work out the kinks. As you don't want to change your cruise, I suggest you go to guest services and explain your concerns and trust that the Disney you love will take care of you. I find it helps to go in with a positive attitude, expect the worst and you often get it. Now that you are forearmed with the issues you are in a great place to get that happy place you dream of. Do hope it goes well for you and your family! When is your cruise by the way? Do let us know how it goes. You will be in my prayers.

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT GO the responses you get seem like they come from toddlers how dare you have an opposing opinion
Opinions are great, but somethings cannot be changed no matter how many times you express your opinion. A lot of people make the decision "not to go" because of price. It's great we have so many vacation options out there.

You have made a lot of choices that got you here, including choosing to listen to people who have never been there and really don't know what they are talking about. I have seen only one eye witness account after the first cruise to suggest there is a problem requesting a cart, the majority have said their requests were honored. Most accounts also say the system is improving as they work out the kinks. As you don't want to change your cruise, I suggest you go to guest services and explain your concerns and trust that the Disney you love will take care of you. I find it helps to go in with a positive attitude, expect the worst and you often get it. Now that you are forearmed with the issues you are in a great place to get that happy place you dream of. Do hope it goes well for you and your family! When is your cruise by the way? Do let us know how it goes. You will be in my prayers.
Thanks for this. It’s in a little less than 3 months so I think maybe will try guest services. I do hope we get more first hand reports of golf cart wait times and what conditions are allowed as the information is very muddled. Better yet hopefullu disney may publish something on their website or in an email to guests on cruises to LC explaining the policy and what to expect.

Thanks for this. It’s in a little less than 3 months so I think maybe will try guest services. I do hope we get more first hand reports of golf cart wait times and what conditions are allowed as the information is very muddled. Better yet hopefullu disney may publish something on their website or in an email to guests on cruises to LC explaining the policy and what to expect.

We are on the September 16th cruise, if it’s the same one I’ll be glad to do what I can to help.. if it’s before will gather intel for you. If it’s after, well, will keep my finger’s crossed. Feel free to PM.

My guess is by then Disney will be a well oiled machine. Keep in mind in the parks they have the luxury of soft roll outs experimenting first on cast members, than annual pass holders and dcl members and vloggers. We always hear early horror stories and there are people that then amplify negative comments. By the time it opens to the general public most first timers are happy. Would be nice if cruise lines could do the same, but the economics are different. You always hear stories of things not working first cruises. Got to imagine opening an island is even worse. I do think some planners have been chastised behind the scenes.

In the meantime I wouldn’t hesitate to reach out to DCL a month before and get the answers you need. By then things should have settled down and my experience is when I call I get passed up the chain until my questions are fully answered. Admittedly not always the answer I want, but always helpful.

We are on the September 16th cruise, if it’s the same one I’ll be glad to do what I can to help.. if it’s before will gather intel for you. If it’s after, well, will keep my finger’s crossed. Feel free to PM.

My guess is by then Disney will be a well oiled machine. Keep in mind in the parks they have the luxury of soft roll outs experimenting first on cast members, than annual pass holders and dcl members and vloggers. We always hear early horror stories and there are people that then amplify negative comments. By the time it opens to the general public most first timers are happy. Would be nice if cruise lines could do the same, but the economics are different. You always hear stories of things not working first cruises. Got to imagine opening an island is even worse. I do think some planners have been chastised behind the scenes.

In the meantime I wouldn’t hesitate to reach out to DCL a month before and get the answers you need. By then things should have settled down and my experience is when I call I get passed up the chain until my questions are fully answered. Admittedly not always the answer I want, but always helpful.
We’ll be going after so will be interested in your experience

I will be there every week between now and then and can keep reporting back. But in trying to put your mind at ease in the meantime, if you choose to use a golf cart, you won’t be turned away

I just hope Disney offers shade umbrellas for those that want them. Pick them up when you get off the ship and drop them off at the end of the pier. Shade is now available and the coral is fine. Easy fix. Some people will complain that they have to carry something...... you can't please everyone.
I have already purchased a “shade umbrella “ spf 50 from amazon - $8.99 in anticipation of protecting myself from too much sun. Perfect size for walking the pier, also protection if it starts to rain. Also have a neck fan I’ll be using. Maybe people should think ahead and plan for they own comfort and be prepared 😁

I will be there every week between now and then and can keep reporting back. But in trying to put your mind at ease in the meantime, if you choose to use a golf cart, you won’t be turned away
It really helps knowing that is an option. I hope the wait isn’t too long but we can at least try to see if the golf cart option works.

It is interesting that if you point out facts that were used in deciding the pier design, you are a Disney supporter and your information doesn’t count. I pointed out facts from the Environmental Impact Assessment report and was immediately condemned for it as have others who used facts over opinions.

I am not a big fan of the direction Disney has been going for the last 8-9 years with the constant price hikes and the reduction of services as most of us would like better treatment from Disney but facts are facts.

I have a little bit of construction knowledge having been the lead government project manager on multi-year half-a-billion-dollar projects and can tell you the pier they built was not the cheapest option. Dredging something like CC or a tendering operation would have been cheaper. These were eliminated because of safety and environmental concerns. It was also felt there would be fewer missed docking days because of wind conditions that happen at CC because approaching an open pier is easier than backing into a closed dredged pier slot.

I agree it appears lacking in areas for the tweens and teens. I understand the desire for more beach chairs in the beach areas. I think Serenity Bay should be where the Family bungalows are. I wish the cultural center had displays and facts about the history of the Bahamas. The pier is disappointing. Signs along the way about the sea life below would have helped break up the walk, shaded spots every 400’-500’ with some benches would have been nice and they could have added color to the concrete when they poured the precast deck sections to make it look better. They do need emergency phones every 500’. I could keep adding ways to improve and I feel some things will be added as the project gets finished over the next couple of months.

The bottom line is Disney didn’t ask any of its customers what design they wanted – they just made a business decision and spent their money to build what they wanted based on the constraints they had to work with. We as consumers have the choice to spend or not spend our dollars with them. My family will visit LP in September and will decide if we like it enough to return in the future or choose cruises that skip it.

It is interesting that if you point out facts that were used in deciding the pier design, you are a Disney supporter and your information doesn’t count. I pointed out facts from the Environmental Impact Assessment report and was immediately condemned for it as have others who used facts over opinions.

I am not a big fan of the direction Disney has been going for the last 8-9 years with the constant price hikes and the reduction of services as most of us would like better treatment from Disney but facts are facts.

I have a little bit of construction knowledge having been the lead government project manager on multi-year half-a-billion-dollar projects and can tell you the pier they built was not the cheapest option. Dredging something like CC or a tendering operation would have been cheaper. These were eliminated because of safety and environmental concerns. It was also felt there would be fewer missed docking days because of wind conditions that happen at CC because approaching an open pier is easier than backing into a closed dredged pier slot.

I agree it appears lacking in areas for the tweens and teens. I understand the desire for more beach chairs in the beach areas. I think Serenity Bay should be where the Family bungalows are. I wish the cultural center had displays and facts about the history of the Bahamas. The pier is disappointing. Signs along the way about the sea life below would have helped break up the walk, shaded spots every 400’-500’ with some benches would have been nice and they could have added color to the concrete when they poured the precast deck sections to make it look better. They do need emergency phones every 500’. I could keep adding ways to improve and I feel some things will be added as the project gets finished over the next couple of months.

The bottom line is Disney didn’t ask any of its customers what design they wanted – they just made a business decision and spent their money to build what they wanted based on the constraints they had to work with. We as consumers have the choice to spend or not spend our dollars with them. My family will visit LP in September and will decide if we like it enough to return in the future or choose cruises that skip it.
If they would have added an extra 8-10 feet width to sea bridge with a tram turn around on the ship mooring pier deck to run a couple of trams we probably wouldn't have this conversation. Oh well.

Does anyone else think that Disney just might, might, in the future, monetize golf cart rides to and from? Possibly limited amounts of them?

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest