Lookout Cay long pier.

Lmao 😂 oh stop some colorful shading would give so much character to that pier. I need that and some more Disney touches and I’ll back off. Apparently more structures like the Mickey Junkanoo (???) are coming
I will not be visiting LP until next April and I seem to be in the minority but I think there is something beautiful about the current design being so minimal. It evokes an essence of walking on water. Maybe I will change my mind when I'm there since I am actually not a beach person or a hot weather person 😂 but I tend to favor minimal design and that is actually one of the things I appreciate about DCL -- that their ships tend to be more classy and less gaudy. I saw a video the other day where the vloggers recommend getting off the ship early to get the coolest weather possible for walking that pier. Seemed like a decent pro tip to me.

Are you referring to the Mickey Junkanoo photo backdrop? If so, yes. They will be installing Junkanoo photo backdrops for each of the Fab 5 around that plaza space. Another vlogger noticed what looked like raised stages around the plaza and later commented that those were for the other photo backdrops to be installed.

I will not be visiting LP until next April and I seem to be in the minority but I think there is something beautiful about the current design being so minimal. It evokes an essence of walking on water. Maybe I will change my mind when I'm there since I am really not a beach person or a hot weather person 😂 but I tend to favor minimal design and that is actually one of the things I appreciate about DCL -- that their ships tend to be more classy and less gaudy. I saw a video the other day where the vloggers recommend getting off the ship early to get the coolest weather possible for walking that pier. Seemed like a decent pro tip to me.
The weather should be nice in April. I've been to CC many times when it was just perfect temperatures for walking, biking or running on the island. I've also been there when it's been chilly. It's only oppressively hot mid May through mid October.

I think the rest of Lookout Cay is fine for the most part it's the pier length that bothers me. Sad thing is 20 years ago I was like some of the posters here who think people complaining about the walk are wimps. Some major health issues in that span has reversed my thinking. As they say Karma's a b*****.

@Mags2002 are all the character meets by the fence or do they have different locations?

If we spring for a cabana I saw Minnie makes her way over there do all the characters make their way over to the cabanas private area or just Minnie?
They will have designated spots for photos but they aren’t ready yet so we just have to make do right now.
Other characters do too

Thanks for sharing this!
Since you are out on the water, is there a breeze? Can you see fish?

I plan on filling our water bottles, packing some snacks and a change of clothes and enjoying the laughs my family will have on the journey to a beautiful beach (whenever we make it there). Oh and the pictures I’ll take!
Sometimes there has been a breeze, sometimes not, rain was fun too! I have seen some fish but better off snorkelling for that

I already have a cruise booked that is PIF, but even if I didn't, I also have the option to continue to share my concerns in a forum that Disney CMs monitor, and hope the message gets back to management that at least some people are very concerned and would like Disney to address it. Shade, benches, and water stations along the walking route would be good additions. Extra golf carts with the ability to schedule and reserve a ride would be another--one I and I'm sure others would happily pay for, like the people who rent golf carts at Fort Wilderness.

Till then, I'm gonna keep channeling my inner Mufasa and keep telling DCL: "Remember who you are." Disney should do its utmost to try to make the situation more pleasant for guests, like they have always done in the past, and should take a lesson learned from this for future projects that they need to think about the guest experience when designing new facilities.
Trust me, Disney is listening.
Shade and benches I can’t help with but they are handing out water and cool washcloths along the way.
I truly don’t think they realized so many people would be so bothered by the walk and wanting golf carts. I think at some stage they may add more so more people can access this

Sometimes there has been a breeze, sometimes not, rain was fun too! I have seen some fish but better off snorkelling for that
What do they do when there is lightening in the area? I know they close the beach. Do they close the bridge?

Trust me, Disney is listening.
Shade and benches I can’t help with but they are handing out water and cool washcloths along the way.
I truly don’t think they realized so many people would be so bothered by the walk and wanting golf carts. I think at some stage they may add more so more people can access this
That’s really nice to hear. Thanks!

I think the rest of Lookout Cay is fine for the most part it's the pier length that bothers me. Sad thing is 20 years ago I was like some of the posters here who think people complaining about the walk are wimps. Some major health issues in that span has reversed my thinking. As they say Karma's a b*****.
No one thinks your a wimp. I've had injuries in the past that would have prevented me from making that walk. I would have just asked for a ride. There's a lot of able bodied people on here complaining and then they are complaining about there kids having to walk...that's when I just shake my head in disbelief.

No one thinks your a wimp. I've had injuries in the past that would have prevented me from making that walk. I would have just asked for a ride. There's a lot of able bodied people on here complaining and then they are complaining about there kids having to walk...that's when I just shake my head in disbelief.
Great, you can carry my autistic 9 year old for me down the bridge when he has a meltdown from the heat and lies on the ground and refuses to walk. Oh and he will probably scream wordlessly in your ear the whole time.

If it was designed correctly in the first place we wouldn't have to ask for a ride. That's my point.

If it was designed correctly in the first place we wouldn't have to ask for a ride. That's my point.

So to heck with the environment right and Eleuthera laws right? That’s other’s point. So people need to put aside their pride and ask for help if they need it. 😎

So to heck with the environment right and Eleuthera laws right? That’s other’s point. So people need to put aside their pride and ask for help if they need it. 😎
Disney has a lot of smart people in imagineering so they could have figured a way to move passengers from the ship to the island with minimum environmental harm. They just chose the inexpensive way in my opinion. If the environment is such a concern to Eleuthera and the Bahamas then they would have banned cruise ships period.

Maybe they should have done a glass pier. Less shade, better views. That might prove they were concerned about environment and not cost. (Not sure if I am serious.)

Disney has a lot of smart people in imagineering so they could have figured a way to move passengers from the ship to the island with minimum environmental harm. They just chose the inexpensive way in my opinion. If the environment is such a concern to Eleuthera and the Bahamas then they would have banned cruise ships period.

My opinion is Disney has created a wonderful new experience that I’m looking forward to 😎

What does designed correctly mean to you? A tender? Let's not forget DCL does not own this island. I had a similar experience in Stockholm. The sea walk. It eliminated tendering.

From what I've read this new concept will allow ships to port in cities they couldn't before. Some ports in Norway and I've read even Jamaica. 10-20 years from now it may be really common.

I just hope Disney offers shade umbrellas for those that want them. Pick them up when you get off the ship and drop them off at the end of the pier. Shade is now available and the coral is fine. Easy fix. Some people will complain that they have to carry something...... you can't please everyone.

What do they do when there is lightening in the area? I know they close the beach. Do they close the bridge?
I haven’t had the experience of lightning as yet but from what I understand, yes they would close the pier as it would be dangerous to be out over open water

Last edited:

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest