Lookout Cay long pier.

My treasure goes to castaway cay thank god.

What’s up with the no shading or colorful shading on the dock anyone wanna defend them in this one?
There is probably no shading on the dock due to the desire to keep as much sunlight as possible hitting the water. That is the reason the pier is so narrow as well. The sea floor being shaded too much is an issue.

What’s up with the no shading or colorful shading on the dock anyone wanna defend them in this one?
It goes to the same thing as the reduced width of the pier - shading of submerged and benthic resources. There are seven species of coral that are endangered, along with seagrasses, sponges, reef worms, and hard bottom that are protected habitat. Shading from the pier will already damage or eliminate those resources directly beneath it, and additional structures that block sunlight will then amplify those impacts outside of the footprint of the pier. The near shore shallow areas also contain numerous coral reefs - in fact, Disney would have been made to relocate corals that fell in the footprint of the pier as part of the construction process. Dredging is a killer to these near shore habitats, even when it is just adjacent to them. The silt and other sediment carried on currents will always flow to the dredged area, causing changes in water quality and light penetration. That is why there is little to no benthic habitat adjacent to the CC pier, or for that matter, at Coco Cay, or any other of the dredged docking piers that the ships port at.

Whether you like it or not, Disney made these agreements with the Bahamas to do things this way on LC. You don't have to go. A friend of mine who has been described it like this -- Castaway Cay is like the Epcot Paviliion for a beach, whereas Lookout Cay is the actual tropical beach.

well since you asked so nicely :)

depends on what you mean by defending. I realize if anyone here accepts realities of physics or governing laws that contradicts what someone else wants they are labelled a disney apologist but in this case I agree, more shading would be helpful. And colorful shading would certainly add to the festive feeling. Can't agree more.

but you and me agreeing (or complaining) aint going to accomplish anything (except maybe stroke our egos) so being a pragmatist I am first interested in what I need to do to adapt (my personal list so far is bring a solar umbrella (which looks a lot like marketing to me), big floppy hat, sunglasses, extra water, neutral density filters for my camera, tips for the golf cart drivers). I know some will say we shouldn't have to adapt, we are paying so much! but isn't there a saying about grace and not sweating what you cant change but focus on what you can?

being the curious type I am inclined to dig into the 'why's' of something as an indicator of likelihood to change in the more distant future than what effects me now (this might be where complaining helps), and here numerous things come to mind, potential hurricane damage (maybe not for a 100 feet of structure, but a half mile, how do you put that up and take it down fast?!), potential law suit risk (its the times, if you don't put it up securely and it comes down on a passenger...), and cost (which ties in to making it sturdy). yep I know, greedy disney wanting to make a profit from their already expensive cruises, but budget is a consideration. But for me and cruising the ship is the destination not just the port. Maybe the port is the cherry on top, but the cake is the ship. so how much money do I want Disney to dump into the port and pass on the cost to me the consumer? If it was all about the port we would fly to grand cayman for example (which if you havent, you should, great place, any cruise doesnt do it justice). I realize not the same for everyone. Now I also realize just asking why makes it look like I am defending. Nope. Just prefer to understand than just criticize.

And then I look to history as a predictor to the future. Disney has a so so track record with putting up shade. I would love to see more in areas we routinely stand and wait (brutal for some reason at animal kingdom waiting to get in for example, better at Epcot). Bus stops tend to be more shaded at the resort hotel areas than value, but that might be just my perception. And yes, cruises are expensive but both CC and LC are not designed to be spas , but durable (maybe LC a bit more than CC), and so there are budget cuts. I would like to see more shade at both places, but I am not holding my breath. My guess is disney is waiting for trees to grow. yes I know. boo hiss. does solve a few problems at once.

Anyway, I need to go order some neutral density filters. thanks for reminding me.

edit. My treasure goes to CC too! maybe we are on the same cruise and could share a beer or two? wouldn't that be peachy. you could complain. I could defend. (my apologies if I crossed a line, I meant that more as a joke, but my sense of humor is an acquired taste at best).

edit 2. just read that shade on the pier can be bad for coral. I should have known that! learning is good (dont forget the sun moves in the sky so shade wont always be above the concrete).

Last edited:
We have. We've done Alaska, Med, Norway and Panama Canal x2. We'd sail DCL for the British Isles next year if they still stopped in Belfast.
Sometimes we just want to unwind on a short cruise which usually means sailing from FL so the Bahamas becomes the default getaway when you need a break from the stress of life.
I understand that, but if you don’t like the ports there’s not much you can do to change it other than complain on a Disney forum.

It seems like all I keep reading here is:

I want to go to a warm sandy beach and bask in the tropical sun....
I don't see many people saying that or indicating that. What people are indicating is they want a private island experience similar to Castaway Cay, and those things aren't why Castaway Cay is so popular. You can get sun and sand at any beach in the Caribbean, often a lot more conveniently than at LC.

Castaway Cay is popular because it offers a beach that is protected and shark netted, making it as safe as a beach can be for the kids. Floaties are allowed. It has practically unlimited seating on the beach with good umbrellas. It has a lot of activities available for all ages. It has good food with plenty of shaded seating for everyone, and including ice cream at the adult buffet. It is easy to go back and forth from the ship to the beach. There is no need for long walks. There is a lot of shade around, even on the bike trail. The adult area is completely separated from the family area. The family cabanas are located on the family beach (duh, Disney!) There is no one outside of the Disney bubble on the island, which makes things even safer. Etc., etc.

That's what makes Castaway special, not the actual beach. That is what has been demonstrated to strongly appeal to most Disney cruisers.

Last edited:
I don't see many people saying that or indicating that. What people are indicating is they want a private island experience similar to Castaway Cay, and those things aren't why Castaway Cay is so popular. You can get sun and sand at any beach in the Caribbean, often a lot more conveniently than at LC.

Castaway Cay is popular because it offers a beach that is protected and shark netted, making it as safe as a beach can be for the kids. Floaties are allowed. It has practically unlimited seating on the beach with good umbrellas. It has a lot of activities available for all ages. It has good food with plenty of shaded seating for everyone, and including ice cream at the adult buffet. It is easy to go back and forth from the ship to the beach. There is no need for long walks. There is a lot of shade around, even on the bike trail. The adult area is completely separated from the family area. The family cabanas are located on the family beach (duh, Disney!) There is no one outside of the Disney bubble on the island, which makes things even safer. Etc., etc.

That's what makes Castaway special, not the actual beach. That is what has been demonstrated to strongly appeal to most Disney cruisers.
Exactly my point. If you want that, go to Castaway. There are options. LC does not need to be Castaway 2.0

Castaway is less available to cruisers due to Lookout Cay, because half of the cruises go there instead, and most of the cruises for certain ships. It reduces the overall DCL offerings.

Disney is ADDING the Treasure and with it 77 ADDITIONAL cruises on the Treasure to CC, none of which go to LC.

And that brings the total to 458 currently available cruises to Castaway Cay ranging from 3 nights to 13.

Anyone can go to Castaway Cay. With 458 available cruises to CC, nothing is stopping anyone. As has been pointed out ALL the Disney ships in the Caribbean are continuing to go to CC, ALL the Disney Experiences (holidays, marvel) include CC. Enjoy!

:)

Disney is ADDING the Treasure and with it 77 ADDITIONAL cruises on the Treasure to CC, none of which go to LC.

And that brings the total to 458 currently available cruises to Castaway Cay ranging from 3 nights to 13.

Anyone can go to Castaway Cay. With 458 available cruises to CC, nothing is stopping anyone. As has been pointed out ALL the Disney ships in the Caribbean are continuing to go to CC, ALL the Disney Experiences (holidays, marvel) include CC. Enjoy!

:)
The Wish is continuing to sail to CC. I’m confused by the no short cruises going to CC statements. I guess if you don’t like the Wish that’s a double blow.

I am amazed that there are people who think that a cruise ship vacation is not terrible for the environment. It doesn’t matter how far they build that pier, the trash from guests and buildup of non-reef safe sunscreen will destroy all the reefs at LC in a few years. Why do you think Disney had to add a bunch of statues to the CC lagoon? It’s because there’s barely anything natural left to look at.

If I'm reading correctly it looks like the pier is about the same length (.8 mile) as the walkway between Epcot and HS. I do this walk at least a couple of times each trip and I don't remember any benches or shade (except under a car overpass). If someone wants to get a feel for whether or not they are up to the pier walk, they could maybe try doing a trial run on the Epcot/HS walkway when they're in WDW.
Yeah, my kids and I tried to walk from Boardwalk hotel to HS once. Which is considerably shorter that Epcot to HS. In february, when the weather was warm but not boiling. We ended up carrying them on shoulders half the way because they couldn’t handle it. My back still aches at the memory. We have never repeated the experience, opting instead to take the boat ride. In fact, I saw a lot of guests on video carrying kids on shoulders. You’d think Disney would remember it’s a family friendly line.

This is the way.

If I'm reading correctly it looks like the pier is about the same length (.8 mile) as the walkway between Epcot and HS. I do this walk at least a couple of times each trip and I don't remember any benches or shade (except under a car overpass). If someone wants to get a feel for whether or not they are up to the pier walk, they could maybe try doing a trial run on the Epcot/HS walkway when they're in WDW.
How in the world would you go to WDW if you can’t walk half a mile. Not counting mobility scooters. You can also use scooters on a cruise.

It seems like all I keep reading here is:

I want to go to a warm sandy beach and bask in the tropical sun.... except this beach is too sandy, and the sun is too hot.
I can do that without booking a Disney cruise
well since you asked so nicely :)

depends on what you mean by defending. I realize if anyone here accepts realities of physics or governing laws that contradicts what someone else wants they are labelled a disney apologist but in this case I agree, more shading would be helpful. And colorful shading would certainly add to the festive feeling. Can't agree more.

but you and me agreeing (or complaining) aint going to accomplish anything (except maybe stroke our egos) so being a pragmatist I am first interested in what I need to do to adapt (my personal list so far is bring a solar umbrella (which looks a lot like marketing to me), big floppy hat, sunglasses, extra water, neutral density filters for my camera, tips for the golf cart drivers). I know some will say we shouldn't have to adapt, we are paying so much! but isn't there a saying about grace and not sweating what you cant change but focus on what you can?

being the curious type I am inclined to dig into the 'why's' of something as an indicator of likelihood to change in the more distant future than what effects me now (this might be where complaining helps), and here numerous things come to mind, potential hurricane damage (maybe not for a 100 feet of structure, but a half mile, how do you put that up and take it down fast?!), potential law suit risk (its the times, if you don't put it up securely and it comes down on a passenger...), and cost (which ties in to making it sturdy). yep I know, greedy disney wanting to make a profit from their already expensive cruises, but budget is a consideration. But for me and cruising the ship is the destination not just the port. Maybe the port is the cherry on top, but the cake is the ship. so how much money do I want Disney to dump into the port and pass on the cost to me the consumer? If it was all about the port we would fly to grand cayman for example (which if you havent, you should, great place, any cruise doesnt do it justice). I realize not the same for everyone. Now I also realize just asking why makes it look like I am defending. Nope. Just prefer to understand than just criticize.

And then I look to history as a predictor to the future. Disney has a so so track record with putting up shade. I would love to see more in areas we routinely stand and wait (brutal for some reason at animal kingdom waiting to get in for example, better at Epcot). Bus stops tend to be more shaded at the resort hotel areas than value, but that might be just my perception. And yes, cruises are expensive but both CC and LC are not designed to be spas , but durable (maybe LC a bit more than CC), and so there are budget cuts. I would like to see more shade at both places, but I am not holding my breath. My guess is disney is waiting for trees to grow. yes I know. boo hiss. does solve a few problems at once.

Anyway, I need to go order some neutral density filters. thanks for reminding me.

edit. My treasure goes to CC too! maybe we are on the same cruise and could share a beer or two? wouldn't that be peachy. you could complain. I could defend. (my apologies if I crossed a line, I meant that more as a joke, but my sense of humor is an acquired taste at best).

edit 2. just read that shade on the pier can be bad for coral. I should have known that! learning is good (dont forget the sun moves in the sky so shade wont always be above the concrete).
trust me when I tell you you can’t offend me. I have a thickest skin ever lol. If you’re on the treasure, I promise I’m buying you a 🍺

How in the world would you go to WDW if you can’t walk half a mile. Not counting mobility scooters. You can also use scooters on a cruise.
.8 mile is closer to a full mile than a half mile.

Walking an average of 5 miles at WDW over the course of a full day broken up by rides, air conditioning, shade and seating is a completely different experience than walking a fifth of that distance all in one go in the hot sun with no breaks.

And yes, even with all the shade and breaks we often end up renting a stroller for our youngest to help get through the day at WDW, even though he has long since grown out of strollers at home. Lots of people do.

Have you seen how many kids have complete meltdowns at disney world? It’s super hard on little legs to cover that kind of distance. They take 3 steps for every one of yours.

Why do you think they have trams at the parking lot? Or why Disney hotels that have an option to walk to parks also have buses/monorails/boats.

Why do you think there are countless posts in the theme park forums on recommendations for comfy footwear, moleskin bandages for blisters, “disney rash”, anti-chafing balms, and swollen feet. This is reminding me why we now mostly go on disney cruises instead of theme park vacations.

Disney used to care about this stuff. When I tell my friends about Disney cruises, “relaxing” “easy” “convenient” are the words I use. For castaway “paradise” gets added to the list. I’ll have to branch out on adjectives going forward because there is no way I can put a positive spin on dragging three kids on .8 mile unshaded concrete hike in swimsuits and flip flops. Not to mention all the unshaded boardwalks to get around the island after the tram.

It’s great for you that this is not a big deal to you. That doesn’t give you a reason to be skeptical when others say it is a big deal for them.

.8 mile is closer to a full mile than a half mile.

Walking an average of 5 miles at WDW over the course of a full day broken up by rides, air conditioning, shade and seating is a completely different experience than walking a fifth of that distance all in one go in the hot sun with no breaks.

And yes, even with all the shade and breaks we often end up renting a stroller for our youngest to help get through the day at WDW, even though he has long since grown out of strollers at home. Lots of people do.

Have you seen how many kids have complete meltdowns at disney world? It’s super hard on little legs to cover that kind of distance. They take 3 steps for every one of yours.

Why do you think they have trams at the parking lot? Or why Disney hotels that have an option to walk to parks also have buses/monorails/boats.

Why do you think there are countless posts in the theme park forums on recommendations for comfy footwear, moleskin bandages for blisters, “disney rash”, anti-chafing balms, and swollen feet. This is reminding me why we now mostly go on disney cruises instead of theme park vacations.

Disney used to care about this stuff. When I tell my friends about Disney cruises, “relaxing” “easy” “convenient” are the words I use. For castaway “paradise” gets added to the list. I’ll have to branch out on adjectives going forward because there is no way I can put a positive spin on dragging three kids on .8 mile unshaded concrete hike in swimsuits and flip flops. Not to mention all the unshaded boardwalks to get around the island after the tram.

It’s great for you that this is not a big deal to you. That doesn’t give you a reason to be skeptical when others say it is a big deal for them.
I walk waaaaaaay more than 5 miles at WDW. Just walking from the bus stop to your room might be a half a mile. A half a mile or even a mile is not that far. When we go to Disneyland the closest offsite hotels are 0.5 to 1.2 miles away from the front gate and thousands of people do it each day without complaining.

I'm only skeptical when people say they go to the Disney parks and then complain about a half mile walk. There is no way your doing Disney parks if you can't walk for 10 minutes.

You make walking for 10 minutes sound like torturing your children. Our elementary school is a little under a mile away and kids walk it. If your kids can't walk a half a mile that says a lot about our society and how out of shape kids are. I get the adults with health conditions, but seriously kids?

Multiple vloggers have clocked it on their apple watches at about that distance. It appears the blog is measuring the straight line distance between two points on a map, rather than the length of the curve plus the walk to/from ship and tram stop at either end.
The measurement clearly includes the curve. It is missing the very small distance from the ship to the start of the curve and the very small distance from the end of the curve to the tram stop. There's no way that those distances are 0.33 miles when the curve itself is 0.47 miles, though.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest