Looking for travel w/disabilities info

I love to go to gardens. These both look beautiful, especially Descanso. It's great to see what the Joshua Tree visitors' centers look like, too. A picture is worth a thousand words sometimes...it's encouraging to see those nice level entrances. :)

Albuquerque Zoo was nice and accessible.

Be sure when you pull into the Grand Canyon that you tell them you have 2 handicap children. They will direct you to the welcome center where you can get a pass for all the National Parks that offers free access for everyone in the van. Also 10 years ago when we went only busses could drive through the canyon but if you had someone in a wheelchair you were given a pass to drive through the canyon.

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Access Pass - Free.

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Access Pass
This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities. Documentation is required to obtain the pass. Acceptable documentation includes: statement by a licensed physician; document issued by a Federal agency such as the Veteran’s Administration, Social Security Disability Income or Supplemental Security Income; or document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Access Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

Thanks, Michigan. Do you recall if you have to provide documentation for a disability that is readily apparent?

It says on the web page that you have to provide written proof of written documentation which is against the ADA but hey it's one Government agency agains another.

At that time I only had one child with spina bifida so I just took her into the welcome center and filled out the papers.

My daughter also enjoyed Tombstone AZ and it was fairly accessible if you have the time to drive south.

Cindy

Thanks, Cindy. It shouldn't be hard to get a letter from DDs' doctor to get the pass. I just thought I'd ask, since everything is one more thing on the to do list, ya know?

I hadn't thought about Tombstone. Even if we don't make it there this time, I'm going to make a note of it for a future trip. I've been finding enough neat things in Arizona that I'd like to go back someday when we could spend more than a few days in the state. In case anyone is interested in a trip to Arizona, I found this neat blog by an Arizona resident who uses a wheelchair (linked from one of the sites that mechurchlady posted):

http://www.accessingarizona.com/

Mechurchlady, I hope you are safe in Southern California and not in the path of the fires.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/
Never got around to a report but Aquarium of the Pacific is extremely handicapped friendly. Try to go at opening on weekends though as later in the day the crowds can be full of kids. Parking is a block away in a garage and the site has plenty of parking spots in the aquarium for waddlebutts like me who have to rest a lot. Upstairs is a restaurant that can be hectic and mom got trapped by rude people in a corner but staff was very helpful with my dietary needs.

http://www.lazoo.org/visit/rentals_accessibility.html
Los Angeles Zoo is accessible but guide dogs need to fill out a form. They have a tram service but not sure if disabled friendly, doubt it.

http://www.sandiegozoo.com/zoo/disabled_info.html
I was ecstatic of the San Diego Wild Animal Park's serviced for my disabled mother. The San Diego Zoo is very disabled friendly. For those who can transfer they will send the folding wheelchair ahead in a gondola on the skyfari ride. They have a shuttle service for disabled guests who cannot make it up and down the hills. They have a bus tour but disabled guests must transfer to the seat and their chair folded up and put on the bus. Non folding chairs have to remain behind.

Both zoos have kids areas and a nursery.

I live in Norwalk in the midst of 4 freeways and am 30 or more miles from any fires. The Santiago and Modjeska canyon are sad as that is where as a teenager I would go on long drives. I am safe. Nap time for me and hugs.

It says on the web page that you have to provide written proof of written documentation which is against the ADA but hey it's one Government agency agains another.
That isn't actually against the ADA because they are not requiring the proof to provide access/accomodation. They are requiring it because they are providing a higher level of access to people with disabilities.
The Access Pass they are providing to people with disabilities is free.
Basically, the same pass for people without disabilties is $80 per year. I don't have time to search for it right now, but there is a clause in the ADA that allows requiring documentation in cases where there is something more given than is required for accomodation that is of value.

mechurchlady,

I'm glad to hear you are in a safe area. It's so sad to hear of all the people who have been displaced by the fires.

Do you recall if the shuttle bus at the zoo has a lift for wheelchairs? DDs' chairs don't fold. I didn't know they had a gondola at the zoo. That would be neat. I miss the Skyway at WDW.

Thanks for more great tips!

Yes the service is for ECVs, waddlebutts like me, and all types of wheelchairs. I double checked on the FAQs and each disabled guest at both San Diego Zoo park is allowed to have one attendent to enter the park FREE.

I have never been to Legoland but that is very accessible from what I have read. Just keep adding to the shopping list, lol. I have been to almost every place in the southland except for Legoland. Do you like Music as there is a great music themed museum down toward Carlsbad.

Thanks for the info on the shuttle bus at the zoo. That's very nice to know about the free companion ticket.

I do like music, but I'm not much on museums. It sounds like I have plenty of other things to choose from, though. LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter