Local DVC'rs

Lil

Mouseketeer
Please let me begin by saying.........there are always a few that tend to take avantage regardless of the situation. (We have the same problem at my school). Whether they be local - or distant DVC'rs.

However, once again, I am hearing about the "local DVC'rs"(see post about health club). Last spring break we were talking to a CM at the SAB pool, and he shared that they had been having trouble with local DVC'rs. One lady in particular rounded up all the neighborhood kids and dropped them off for a day of fun in the sun. She did stay at the pool most times. It almost took an act of congress (and I think local police) to stop this problem.

Maybe I misunderstood...but I thought our priviledges applied only when we were staying on property.

Why can't we police ourselves-I see our benefits (or perks) going slowly down the drain with every abuse!!!!

Lil, you are correct. DVC member perks are meant only to be used by DVC members when they are staying on points at a WDW resort. Anyone who has rented points from a member is also technically barred from using the member perks. I agree that abuses of the system tend to bring it down for all of us. As to policing, it's pretty much impossible for members to police each other. It is DVC that must control this. The inability to do so is how we get the abuses in the first place.

...barred from perks EXCEPT free valet parking at DVC resorts.

Of course, please remember to tip as you feel appropriate. ;)

Actually, it's up to each individual resort to police this. DVC just suffers the fingerpointing because it's an easily identifiable group.

I was also under the impression that pool hopping was only available for DVC members staying on points at a WDW DVC Resort - but I could be wrong.

By policing ourselves, I meant us as individual members, not DVC'rs policing other DVC'rs. The majority of abusers do so knowingly. I am an adult and can abide by rules, especially ones that benefit me in the long run. Ahhhhh...such is life..

You said that non members renting points are technically barred from member perks. I didn't use any perks when I just rented but my room card said DVC member on it and the front desk told me I was entitled to any discounts, etc. as long as my room card said that. They probably ought to straighten this out if they don't want it happening. I would have felt bad if I had pool hopped if not entitled to. Just an fyi.

loribell, technically DVC members are supposed to inform MS when they have rented points and are also supposed to provide a written contract to the renter, spelling out the rules to be followed.

In actual practice, few actually do these things..and those who have reported doing so have stated that the room ID still had "DVC Member" printed.

Your position was commendable!

DVC people are not the only ones breaking the rules. While pool hopping at the Grand Floridian a woman approached me and asked if she could use my resort ID to get a life jacket for her child as she was not actually staying at that hotel. I declined. We pool hopped at Grand Floridian, Poly, Storm Away Bay, BWV, Coronodo Springs and were never asked to show ID except at Poly when I went to get towels. So Disney may want to do a better job of checking as well. Although I know I have a bit put out when in the pool or hot tub at Vero and being asked to show ID, on one particular occasion it was pretty cold outside and I wasn't getting out of the hot tub, nor did anyone else in the group and the Cm agreed to find us later (what locals would be sneaking in on such a cold day, I don't know).

a woman approached me and asked if she could use my resort ID to get a life jacket

I swear you never know what people are going to do next!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter