Live report - 3 weeks in Orlando

We paid for it last year in the room, Nigel (DISwolves) used it free in the lobby.

I am with Nigel on this one :thumbsup2

It is the reason the updates have stopped since it depends on everyone's schedule whether I get down in the evening to log on.

If McDonalds/Starbucks/Holiday Inn Express can provide free wi-fi then I will continue to not pay this in hotels :)

As the updates have faulted due to limited wi-fi access i will combine the last 3 days.

Although it is not Disney, Universal is an enjoyable stay for us all.
So this morning it is back to a reasonably early start. We are breakfasted and car loaded by 8.15.
We bid a fond farewell to Disney and the Quality Suites.

DSIL takes DMIL to the Holiday Inn Express on Major Bvrd. While we are the advance party to the Royal Pacific Resort. We know the room will no be ready but we are hoping that our early arrival will facilitate getting rooms fairly close to DSIL.
Linda on the front desk is a treasure. She confirms that although the rooms will not be read until after 3pm, we will have interconnecting rooms.

We have only ever stayed at Hard Rock Hotel so we use the wait time for the others to explore the hotel.

Universal Studios is our first stop at around 10am. We head straight for The Simpsons and Robyn is a trooper and agrees to try this ride. Success another ride added to her list of likes/dos.
We do all the usual rides Men In Black, Jaws and Mummy. Finally rounding off the visit to a last visit to Jimmy Newtron.

Like before the hotel does not bother to call or text when the room is ready. However when we return to the hotel at 3pm both rooms are ready.
The Garden Room view in Tower 3, 5th floor is not very inspiring but we are pleased with the interconnecting rooms.

We wander around Citywalk in the evening enjoying a frozen Margarita :)

Sunday is an early start as we aim to get to IOA for early entry at 7am. The park opens for others at 8am so the early entry is very welcome.
I am persuaded by the thrill seekers to go on Dragon Challenge as DS and DD are desperate to try this. Let's just say it was a little while before the blood returned to my hands.
Robyn again was a trooper by going on the rafts. Absolutely everyone on the raft was soaked. So it made sense for us all to go back on it.
We had lunch in the Three Broomsticks. We do not as a rule drink fizzy drinks but I caused a few consternation that there is no "soda" in HP.

Our supper was in Hard Rock Cafe. The food was good though it was spoilt by our table being later than promised and us being concerned about getting to the Blue Man Group show on time. As it turned out the 6pm show did not start until after 6.15 so there was no need for us to be in 30 mins early.

The show was outstanding. DBIL was thrilled that he was asked before the show commenced if he would help them out.

Monday it was a long lie as we got up at 7.30 with it being a Universal Studios day .
I must be going soft in my old age. The thrill seekers headed to Rip Ride Rocket. DS and DD pleaded to join their cousins. That is one serious climb and drop. :scared1:
We then headed to the back of the park for Simpsons and our usual rides.
We went to the Beatle Juice show at 11.45. Kids really enjoyed it but the adults thought it was okay.

The temperature hit 97 today so we headed to The Florida Mall for a break from the sun. The girls undertook some retail therapy again and Mr Hollister had some say in the proceedings.

We got back to the hotel and decided to eat at Bula Bar which allowed the troops to enjoy the pool. DMIL/DFIL came over from their hotel to join us. We had way too much food but had a really good evening. A few cocktails were consumed by the others. The Margareta was okay and definitely not a patch on Margaretaville.

Tomorrow is checkout day and then we are joining DMIL at the HiExp.
Plan is to hit IOA early. Currently psyching myself up for the inevitable pleas for Dragon Challenge, Dr Doom and Hulk.
After IOA we will come back to the room and checkout before heading to Universal Studios, since DD2 and DW prefer this to IOA.

Sadly DD's Disney watch is not keeping the time so we will probably have to head there later in the day or evening.

I will post up a few more photos once we get home and hopefully manage some updates while travelling.

Really appreciate the views and comments from everyone :)

Thanks for the reports. I enjoy reading them when you do an update and am looking forward to seeing the photos.

how's the royal pacific? the pool? the service?

we have a night there - just for HP when we're there in august...

did you try the HP ride itself? forbidden journey?

Hi Reid,
Just wanted to drop in and say how much we have been enjoying your updates. We cannot wait for our vacation (1 month today :cool1:) and it has been really interesting getting an insight into life in Orlando ..... This will be our first trip for a couple of years so we are all very excited. Our children are looking forward to hitting the parks and the rides (as are my DH and myself:)) and we are all very excited to be staying somewhere new. We have never stayed offsite as tend to spend very little time in our room and have not worried about the extra space but have taken on board some of the comments made as this may well make for more frequent trips in future..... :yay:

Love the updates on the shopping trips. We always head to both the outlets and the Florida Mall and take full advantage of the bargains and designer brands that are so much cheaper than in the UK. My DH no longer asks why we take empty suitcases with us :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Glad to hear that Mr Hollister is easily accessible.... Will be one of our first stops - do they have a kids store like Abercrombie do?

Thanks for the restaurant info - we have the Disney dining plan but will venture out to eat on a couple of occasions particularly when we visit WWOHP, Sea World and DC.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.....

Loving your live updates :love: Which I'm following every day!

How long do you have left? I'm on the 12 day countdown now!

Sharon xx

how's the royal pacific? the pool? the service?

we have a night there - just for HP when we're there in august...

did you try the HP ride itself? forbidden journey?

We are fans of the Hard Rock Hotel but DSIL preferred Royal Pacific because of the better price. We really enjoyed RP. The pool at RP did not have a slide compared with Hard Rock. But the troops though the boat (water) play area was better at RP. Unless the prices were similar we would stay at RP again.

Hi Reid,
Just wanted to drop in and say how much we have been enjoying your updates. We cannot wait for our vacation (1 month today :cool1:) and it has been really interesting getting an insight into life in Orlando ..... This will be our first trip for a couple of years so we are all very excited. Our children are looking forward to hitting the parks and the rides (as are my DH and myself:)) and we are all very excited to be staying somewhere new. We have never stayed offsite as tend to spend very little time in our room and have not worried about the extra space but have taken on board some of the comments made as this may well make for more frequent trips in future..... :yay:

Love the updates on the shopping trips. We always head to both the outlets and the Florida Mall and take full advantage of the bargains and designer brands that are so much cheaper than in the UK. My DH no longer asks why we take empty suitcases with us :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Glad to hear that Mr Hollister is easily accessible.... Will be one of our first stops - do they have a kids store like Abercrombie do?

Thanks for the restaurant info - we have the Disney dining plan but will venture out to eat on a couple of occasions particularly when we visit WWOHP, Sea World and DC.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.....

Yes there is an Abercrombie for kids, which pleased DS as he then could compete against his sister's Hollister addiction ;)

Loving your live updates :love: Which I'm following every day!

How long do you have left? I'm on the 12 day countdown now!

Sharon xx

We had our last day at Universal today. Will post up an update later tonight.
Checked in to our family room at Holiday Inn Express, Major Blvd as we fly home tomorrow. It did not make sense to pay for Royal Pacific tonight as we would not get the benefit of going to the park as we are checking out at 10.45am :sad2:

As today is check-out day at the Royal Pacific DW worked out a master plan.
We are up early and breakfast in the room. With the cases all packed we head out the door at 6.45 and walk to IOA.
We hit Forbidden Journey just after 7, with a reported wait time of 10 mins.
In reality it was more like 25 mins. Robyn shocked us all by saying she would give it a try and thereafter declared that she would have went on it again.
Then I clenched by hands ready for Dragon Challenge.

With WWOHP now done by 8.00am as far as we were concerned we headed to Popeye and Bluto Bilge Rafts but discovered they did not open till 9.
As anticipated the thrill seekers suggested that allowed us to go on Dr Doom and Hulk.

On the way we passed Spiderman. Robyn debated whether she would manage this since she had conquered Forbidden Journey. So the 5 of us ended up going on Spiderman. The proof of how Robyn got on is that instead of standing outside Dr Doom and Hulk while I rode them with Morgan and Jack, she went back on Spiderman another twice. This is the person who gets scared on Pirates of the Caribbean !

Finally we headed to the rafts and made good use of the FOTL by going on twice in quick succession. Coming off soaked each time.

It was then time to head back to the hotel and have a quick shower and change of clothes before checking out at 10.30.

With cases in the car we then headed for Universal. It was as busy as IOA was when we had left. Go to love FOTL access.

The temperature was up to 98 so we knew we would not last the day. However we managed The Simpsons, Men in Black twice and then met up with the others.
We had lunch in the parks but with Jaws showing 60 mins decided to call it a day :)

Headed off to DTD as Morgan's watch needed to be exchanged. Then it was off to the Holiday Inn Express.
The hotel was much better than we expected with a large room. Included were two double beds, bed settee, 3 chairs, fridge, microwave and coffee maker.

Supper tonight was Sweet Toms on Kirkman Rd. It looked less clinical than the Crossroads restaurant but sadly the choice and lack of refreshing options made this a less enjoyable location.

With the Prime/Premium Outlets less than 1 mile away it was inevitable that we would head there for a final hour's shopping. Another Ugg's bag meant it was time to head back to the hotel.

We will be checking out tomorrow and heading for home :(

Just caught up reid. Fantastic TR. Makes me feel like im there. Bet ur so proud of dd. She conquered her fears. Next time she may brave potc. Can i just ask how much were the ugg bags? I do hv one but i dont think its real. Cannot believe how much u fitted in to ur last morning. I think its better to get there early. Will hv DM this time with her wheelchair and had to warn her she has to be up and out by 8:rotfl: hmm we will c. Cant believe ur 3 weeks hv gone. Have a safe journey home

What a fab holiday you've all had! Enjoy your last day and safe travels home :)

I have enjoyed reading all your updates - thanks for posting!

Have a safe journey home!

Not long for us now either!

Katie

Suprised you felt ST Kirkman was a less enjoyable experience. Yes there is slighly less available but we still find more than enough, I feel the new location at LBV is just more spread out and more of the same rather than different things, there is slightly more choice but we still prefer eating in a restaurant rather than a warehouse although we do use both whichever is more convenient on the day.

wow!! what an amazing last day Reid!!!!!
i was breathless just reading about it!

the Holiday Inn express sounds fab!! how much do they charge a night?

Suprised you felt ST Kirkman was a less enjoyable experience. Yes there is slighly less available but we still find more than enough, I feel the new location at LBV is just more spread out and more of the same rather than different things, there is slightly more choice but we still prefer eating in a restaurant rather than a warehouse although we do use both whichever is more convenient on the day.

It is less of a warehouse but it was not the lesser choice. We had to wait for bread, baked potatoes and a few other items. It felt like they were understaffed or not coping. The restaurant was not filled as we found a table for our party of 11 easily.

Well we are on the homeward journey. Waiting to board Detroit flight :(

It is less of a warehouse but it was not the lesser choice. We had to wait for bread, baked potatoes and a few other items. It felt like they were understaffed or not coping. The restaurant was not filled as we found a table for our party of 11 easily.

Well we are on the homeward journey. Waiting to board Detroit flight :(

I agree they do not always have enough food ready, I feel as though it is intended so to appear they are bringing out fresh food all the time. Thankfully never had to wait too long to annoy me.

Safe flight home.

Thanks for all your reports, really enjoyed reading them :thumbsup2

Hope you have a safe trip home :goodvibes

Ali :goodvibes

Supper tonight was Sweet Toms on Kirkman Rd. It looked less clinical than the Crossroads restaurant but sadly the choice and lack of refreshing options made this a less enjoyable location. :(

We've really been enjoying the new Sweet Toms on the 192. Eaten there twice now. :) It's smaller than either LBV or Kirkmann Road but advertises that this is intentional and has smaller containers which are replenished more regularly as a result. The smaller size makes it feel less like a warehouse and for us the temperature (we find LBV to be a bit chilly) is more comfortable than LBV. We'll be back again before we head for home.

Safe journey home. :thumbsup2

Mrs TT

Safe journey home. Glad you had a lovely time.

I prefer sw at lake buena vista, went there twice and once to the other one. We preferred the larger choice at lbv and availability of the food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter