Let's work out the details for the book exchange

Rajah

DIS Veteran
Do you think this would work...

Everyone wanting to participate submits from 1 to 5 book titles with author(s), genre, and special details (audio, large print, etc) and any notes you want to mention on the book (like book 2 of a series or stuff).

I collect that list and sort by genre and author and pass the list around.

Everyone submits 5 titles that they would like. I go through randomly and assign a book to a person who has requested it. Reason for 5 is if the first is already taken, second is already taken, third is already taken, then at least one book on the list will hopefully be obtained.

The question is would that way ensure that everyone gets the first or second book on their list?

sounds like a good plan to me. Do you want the titles in a PM or posted on this thread?

For now, just make note of which books you'll include. I'll want more info from you besides your books -- like your name and address and email so the current owner of the book will know where to send the new one.

These are used books, correct? We're not going out and buying new ones to send.

These are any books you want to get rid of. If you want to go out and buy a book specifically for this, that's fine, but the original idea was to swap around books either we've already read or tried to read and for whatever reason didn't like that others might like.

Say we have Simba, Nala, Sirabi, and Mufasa participating.

Simba offers book1, book2, and book5.
Nala offers book6 and book3
Mufasa offers book4, book7, and book8.
Sirabi offers book9

The books get put in a list like:
book1
book2
book3
book4
book5
book6
book7
book8
book9

Then all four are sent that list.

Simba writes back saying he wants books 3, 7, 8 or 9
Nala wants books 4, 7, 1, or 5
Mufasa wants books 1, 2, 6, 5 or 3
Sirabi wants books 1, 5, or 7

They're each assigned a random number 1-4. Say the first time around the results are Nala, Sirabi, Simba, Mufasa.

Nala gets the first book on her list, book 4.
Sirabi gets the first book on her list, book 1.
Simba gets the first book on his list, book 3.
Mufasa wanted book1, but Sirabi already got it so he gets book 2.

Sirabi, having only provided one book, is now done.

Nala, Simba, and Mufasa are re-randomized so that maybe this time they come up with Mufasa, Nala, Simba.

Mufasa now gets book 6.
Nala gets book 7.
Simba gets book8.

The books remaining are 5 and 9.

Nala is now done because she offered two books.

Mufasa and Simba are randomized again. Say Mufasa goes first, then Simba.

The only book left on Mufasa's wish list is book 5. He gets it. Simba gets book 9.

Now everyone has exchanged exactly how many books they provided for the exchange.

Simba now has books 9, 8, and 3
Nala has books 7 and 4
Sirabi has book 1
and Mufasa has books 5, 6 and 2.

Does that make sense?

Each round, everyone gets re-randomized so that whoever was last in the first round isn't last in the second. You run as many rounds as books you offered *and* books left that you are interested in.

Sounds fine to me....but it will be hard to pick just 5 books. I might pick the ones no one wants and still have some popular ones available.
I'm willing to go with whatever is decided......because, I'm now an EXCHANGE-AHOLIC!!! :D

LOL Meri! I think how many to pick will be based on how many books are available. I counted about 15-20 people who wanted to participate, and if we each only offered one book that's only going to be 15-20 books to chose from. :)

Rajah, I'm gonna trust you on the details....my head hurt just looking at that post of yours, LOL!!

I've got plenty of books I'd like to share, just let me know when you want the info.

Rajah - I'm with bsnyder; I got dizzy trying to read the explanation, but I want to participate anyway. :)

BTW, please clean out your pm box!!!! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rajah
LOL Meri! I think how many to pick will be based on how many books are available. I counted about 15-20 people who wanted to participate, and if we each only offered one book that's only going to be 15-20 books to chose from. :)

LOL....you make me sound greedy!!
I meant I would have a hard time picking the ones to send out from MY bookshelf :D
But I took a look and pulled 6.....that's a good start, don't you think.
It is hard because they are all "part of the family"....but I had some doubles ;)

Originally posted by Meriweather
I meant I would have a hard time picking the ones to send out from MY bookshelf :D
But I took a look and pulled 6.....that's a good start, don't you think.
It is hard because they are all "part of the family"....but I had some doubles ;)

ROFL!! Oops! My fault, I misunderstood what kind of pick you meant :o

Shadeaux -- I've cleaned out my PM box now. :o

Wouldn't it be easier to categorize them like mysteries and then name the books, romance, and name the books, etc? I was confused by your explanation.
For myself I would want to get an exchange of a mystery to read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter