Let's have a fun thread....what Disney restaurants surprised you....good or bad

Whispering Canyon definitely overwhelmed, I was there in 2018 with a friend and enjoyed the skillets and the atmosphere. In June I was there again with my girlfriend since I was able to find a reservation for dinner day of, the skillet was as good as I remember but my girlfriend said the salmon was one of if not the best salmon dishes she every had. We are doing Disney in a few weeks for a quick trip and she HIGHLY suggested I get a reservation for the trip. Reasonably priced for Disney as well.

1900 Park Fare! I have never had such terrible food and paid such a premium for it! I realize you are paying for an experience and that part was great but for the price they charge, you should at least be able to eat the food! Will never be back!

Surprised in a bad way…
Mama Melrose - Dd18 found a plastic bag in her chicken parm. Not a small piece of plastic - an actual bag. They brought her a new plate, but she didn’t want to eat after that.

Surprised in a good way…Chef Mickey’s breakfast this past June. We were traveling with another family who wanted to go. Food was served family style and was surprisingly good. We enjoyed it.

Also, Shula’s. Easily the best meal of the trip. Delicious food & wine coupled with fabulous service.

Underwhelmed/disappointed: Yak and Yeti

Always perfect: Trattoria al Forno and Homecomin’

Pleasantly surprised us: Sci Fi and CRT

impressed us: Le Cellier and Teppan Edo

I thought of a few more since my original post...

Underwhelmed:
Raglan Road - food was awful and we got stuck in a corner table with zero view of the dancers
Via Napoli - I was expecting amazing pizza. It was decent, but definitely not amazing.

Pleasantly Surprised:
Splitsville - who knew bowling alley sushi would be so good?
Nine Dragons - went here on a whim once because it was the only place with no wait. Pleasantly surprised by the food - so yummy!

Underwhelmed: Beaches & Cream
It gets such great reviews and reservations are so hard to score, I guess we set our expectations too high. We were like meh, it’s average diner food.

Surprised: I’ll agree with a PP who mentioned Tony’s. It was most definitely better than the terrible reviews it gets. The fried mozzarella was some of the best I’ve had.

I will second Tony's: the fried mozzarella and sauce is something I'm dreaming about still! Will have to get it again next time, that was a winner.
I'm editing this to add that our experience at T Rex was just absolutely horrid and is a "never again" in my book. Bad service, we didn't get our drinks until AFTER dinner came, coupled with high, HIGH prices. Just all the way around bad. One and done, ha ha.

Last edited:
Tangeriene Cafe is a good way! Finally tried it in 2019 after skipping it the 2 prior years and I loved it! We ended up eating there twice on our vacation that year.

Surprised - Trattoria Al Forno breakfast. Yummy food, great service, good atmosphere.

Never again - Yachtsman

Not surprised but always worth a mention - Boma & Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I've never had a bad meal or experience at either one. Though If I could have a wish some true I would want Jiko to bring back the Ostrich filet slices they had as an appetizer years ago - this is what filet Mignon wants to be when it grows up! Had that one evening for dinner and I swear the Ostrichs on the Savannah knew we were looking at them differently the next morning. :D

Underwhelmed - 'Ohana. Great the first time, no better than so-so after that. We also did Yatchman's once - the others enjoyed theirs but mine was only meh.

Thoroughly pleased : Some time ago Le Cellier used to have separate lunch and dinner menus, and they had a nice hamburger on the lunch menu. The last time we did that lunch menu I ordered the burger with all the toppings separate - I must have had 8 or 9 little bowls arrayed around my plate when they set it down. Since I was able to pick and choose my toppings individually for every bite I remember this being the most FUN burger I ever ate! It was a blast because every bite tasted different.

I thought of a few more since my original post...

Underwhelmed:
Raglan Road - food was awful and we got stuck in a corner table with zero view of the dancers
Via Napoli - I was expecting amazing pizza. It was decent, but definitely not amazing.

Pleasantly Surprised:
Splitsville - who knew bowling alley sushi would be so good?
Nine Dragons - went here on a whim once because it was the only place with no wait. Pleasantly surprised by the food - so yummy!
I was also surprised how good their sushi was at Splitsville. Overall they have quality food. Fingers crossed they keep it up

I will go against the grain here and say Ohana surprised us in a good way the first time we went. I had heard great things but I have been to so many similar churrascarias over the years that underwhelmed me so I was iffy on trying it. It blew us away it was so good and became a must do for us every year. We haven’t been yet since they reopened and I know it’s wildly hit or miss but in our experience it has been worth it. Also keep in mind that we aren’t restaurant lingerers, we like to get in, eat and get out so we actually like the faster pace of the service/meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter