Layoffs

Not sure what to expect with soooooo many companies saying they can't fill open positions.
My last employer in 2009 made the following economy moves:
1) Hiring freeze.
2) One week furlough for all employees, one day every two weeks for 10 weeks.
3) Layoffs
4) 5% pay cut for all remaining employees earning more than $30,000 a year.

An employee on a furlough day could not be replaced.
However , the vacant positions that could not be filled and layoffs had to be filled by paying overtime. In my case one week I had a furlough day so worked 32 hours, the next week I had to cover a vacant position so worked 48 hours, the sixth day at time and a half. Most of us earned more than the year before with the overtime, despite the furlough day and pay cut.

CEO two years later admitted their economy measures cost them more than doing nothing.

Not sure why layoffs would be controversial and need to be moved to another forum. Are their people who LIKE layoffs?

I had created a thread back in November telling my story I was so upset and wanted hugs and prayers. I work for a medical billing company and we were told right before Thanksgiving they are getting rid of most of us to outsource our positions and we have until the end of February. The people in India who do certain part of the work now are awful we have to fix what they mess up. I know it will not be my problem anymore but I feel bad for my managers who will still be there and have to deal with everything. We all started looking and I was fortunate to get a new job which I start soon. A few decided to retire. And the rest are still looking.

Daughter in law's father was a partner in a Big 4 firm.

It was well known that when he hit 55, he would be encouraged to retire. He did last year.
I think they are letting partners go who aren’t 55

You'll be able to go to it and see the threads. It doesn't take too long. :)
Maybe they just get to them once a day. It's been about 4 hours now. I'll check in the morning and if I don't see anything, I'll pm a moderator

Maybe they just get to them once a day. It's been about 4 hours now. I'll check in the morning and if I don't see anything, I'll pm a moderator

Someone asked in the last day or 2. Webmaster Corey said he does not notify you once you’ve got access. He said just give it 12 hours.

UPS also just reported their earnings today for Fiscal 2023. $9.1B in operating income for the year and they are increasing their dividend from $1.62 per share to $1.63.

For the year they returned $7.6B to shareholders through dividends and share buybacks.

Yes, the news report I heard said it’s an economic management technique. It’s 6% of their workforce and no union members effected. However, the union members recently negotiated a new contract with wage increases. Also said package volume was down recently. So less revenue, increased employee payroll. The report also acknowledged it is a cyclical business.

Last edited:
My husband's job had layoffs last year and most are expecting more layoffs this year. My BIL works for a major pharmaceutical company has had many layoffs over the years, one just last year. My other BIL left his job for another because his pay was being capped. Wouldn't matter if he worked there another 20 years, he'd still be making the same. His wife was laid off . I belong to Nextdoor App and there is many posts about people being laid off, hours cut and looking for a new job/extra money. Some Target stores have closed, now Walmart. I think about this sort of stuff a lot and it really gets to me.

Someone asked in the last day or 2. Webmaster Corey said he does not notify you once you’ve got access. He said just give it 12 hours.
It's been longer than 12 hours (more like 19 hours), and I still can't access it. I tried pm'ng @WebmasterCorey , but it says I can't send him messages? Does anyone know the name of any mods, so I could ask them, I thought maybe they'd know. TIA

It's been longer than 12 hours (more like 19 hours), and I still can't access it. I tried pm'ng @WebmasterCorey , but it says I can't send him messages? Does anyone know the name of any mods, so I could ask them, I thought maybe they'd know. TIA

He’ll probably get notified you tagged him here so hopefully he will respond soon.

I worked for publicly listed technology company a few decades ago where the norm was a 10% layoff per year or so. It was a means to bring in fresh talent with new designs and ideas that could be patented/extracted and then they would be dismissed (the patents were filed and owned by the company). It was a horrible atmosphere and glad I got away after 8 years.

Being a partnership and not a public company, they can set whatever rules they want regarding that.
Yep, my brother in law was a partner at a Big Four and there was mandatory retirement at age 60. He stayed until then though he could have easily retired at 50.

I was on the road all day yesterday. Everyone should be caught up. I'll do another batch tonight.

Dang, I didn't know that. I thought age would be considered a protected class in all circumstances. I have very little knowledge of the subject but that really does surprise me.
My mom was laid off early in the pandemic after 39 years (few months shy of 40 years) with the company and it was for all employees from the headquarters aged 55 and up with at least 5 years at the company (that's when you'd be considered fully vested in terms of 401K). They did give a severance package with added amount due to loss of health insurance.

2 federal workers here, job security. I am technically still a seasonal employee, so I could be released soon if there wasn't enough work, but there's always more work. Our 2 agencies are always busy, and both had a big hiring push last year.
My DD does work retail, just part time, not laid off, but not as many hours since the holidays.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest