Last minute short trip for 50th birthday

cwnhokie

DIS Veteran
We just found great airfare and decided to go to Orlando 12/14-12/17 for DHs 50th. Now trying to decide what to do with it. Thinking about going and not actually going in the parks. Anyone done a parkless trip? Ideas on what to do or where to stay? My planning is going in a million directions right now. So excited!

We are also doing a parkless trip. Planning a day at Disney Springs, shopping and eating, then seeing a concert at night. I'm also looking to fill another day... I'd hoped to see some resorts and take the monorail but that doesn't sound like an options anymore.

We are also doing a parkless trip. Planning a day at Disney Springs, shopping and eating, then seeing a concert at night. I'm also looking to fill another day... I'd hoped to see some resorts and take the monorail but that doesn't sound like an options anymore.
Why not? Did I miss a change about that?

My friend said they are "cracking down" on the practice. My guess is they want to reserve the hotel amenities and monorail for hotel guests. Is she wrong? I hope so...

I have not heard that and I do not believe that is correct. Anyone can use Disney Transportation and they are not checked to see if they are resort guests. Parking at resorts may be difficult depending as you may need to have an ADR at a resort restaurant, but I'm not sure about the rules on that. Otherwise, ride the Monorail or Skyliner all you want. Offsite guests hopping from MK to Epcot or HS to Epcot would use each and it is perfectly fine.

I have not heard that and I do not believe that is correct. Anyone can use Disney Transportation and they are not checked to see if they are resort guests. Parking at resorts may be difficult depending as you may need to have an ADR at a resort restaurant, but I'm not sure about the rules on that. Otherwise, ride the Monorail or Skyliner all you want. Offsite guests hopping from MK to Epcot or HS to Epcot would use each and it is perfectly fine.

Thank you for the info! I haven't been to Disney in 31 years so it's all new to me again. We are staying at an AirBnB and going parkless so trying to piece together a few inexpensive days of fun.

Thank you for the info! I haven't been to Disney in 31 years so it's all new to me again. We are staying at an AirBnB and going parkless so trying to piece together a few inexpensive days of fun.

So, one thing you can do is park at Disney Springs, and use Disney Transportation from there. You could hop on the bus to The Contemporary Resort then ride the Monorail loop, or bus over to one of the Epcot Area resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club) where you could easily walk over to the Skyliner and ride that. It would just depend on what you want to see. Remember that it is possible to watch fireworks from the TTC or the beach at the Polynesian, or if you have well-timed dinner reservations at some of the places in The Contemporary, so you might consider that.

It may be easier to park at a resort rather than Disney Springs, however I do not know the specifics of that or costs. Someone else may know a bit better.

Last edited:

So, one thing you can do is park at Disney Springs, and use Disney Transportation from there. You could hop on the bus to The Contemporary Resort then ride the Monorail loop, or bus over to one of the Epcot Area resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club) where you could easily walk over to the Skyliner and ride that. It would just depend on what you want to see. Remember that it is possible to watch fireworks from the TTC or the beach at the Polynesian, or if you have well-timed dinner reservations at some of the places in The Contemporary, so you might consider that.

It may be easier to park at a resort rather than Disney Springs, however I do not know the specifics of that or costs. Someone else may know a bit better.
Parking at resorts can be difficult depending on how close to a park (or desirable transportation such as the monorail or Skyliner) they are, unless you have a dining reservation there (in which case you're supposedly limited to parking for three hours while you enjoy your meal). So for free parking, DS is the best place - but don't expect rapid transit to anywhere, especially to a park, from there. If you want to visit the MK resorts, park at the TTC where you can catch the Resort Monorail or even walk straight to Poly and enjoy some time there before catching the monorail around to the other MK resorts. And from the Contemporary you can catch the boat to Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness, both of which can be fun to visit.

Anyway, your friend's information is incorrect - there's no problem visiting the resorts and riding any Disney transportation. The only thing they crack down on at times is parking at the resorts themselves, because the resort parking lots can't handle all their guests as well as all the people who want to visit there (and use the resort as free parking for the parks).

I was just about to start a thread about my monorail crawl experience this past week. Your friend is wrong. I monorailed, skylined and boated to every resort I could! Transport is easy and there is no restriction. The only issue is there is a security check at the hotels before boarding the monorail but they are efficient and it is not an issue. I would recommend visiting the monorail resorts...I will detail more in my thread and maybe you can get some ideas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter