Lasseter may return to Disney

I would hope, should Disney make the decision to bring him back, the animators and artists of Disney and Pixar go on strike and make a ton of noise that would get picked up by the news circuit. I remember the day the Lasseter story broke I heard about it on quickly on CNN, but nothing afterwards. The day of listening could have been a nice story, but I think Disney wanted to have their cake and eat it too on that one - make it known to the public they were doing *something* but still try to keep it hush hush. Yes, those of us who know what's happening can boycott the company, but considering the breadth of Disney's reach that would be incredibly difficult for us and impossible for those with children. Honestly, whether he's guilty of sexual misconduct or not, it's clear (from sources such as this article) he's turned Disney and especially Pixar into toxic work environments, and I think that should be enough reason to show him the door. I know in corporate all people care about is results in the form of money, but the animation industry has noticed the artists and directors jumping ship from Disney/Pixar over the last year and I can only imagine bringing Lasseter back would result in an exodus.

Sooooooooo... what would happen if we had a time machine and we could go into the Studios to see the "closed-door" antics of the Nine Old Men and the other legacy Disney artists? I bet we'd see all sort of sordid, "sabbatical-generating" behavior...

One thing is for sure, Disney sure seems to be sticking to "hugging" as a term for Lasseter's behavior, they have not used other language. Maybe he really just is one of those touchy-feely people who loves to get in other's personal space. As annoying and uncomfortable as that is, it's a very different ball park than say, Weinstein, with alcohol, drugs, stalking, showing at hotel rooms, and actual physical assaults.

I have no idea how HR would run a seminar on, "Don't show emotion or hug your employees" when the name of the game in the studio is to "re-create the Illusion of Life". :( You need emotional people to animate this! But yeah.....

I feel bad for the animators who feel bad, but .... I don't know if there is an one-size-fits-all type of solution to these types of workplace behavior. "You hugged Sally! You're FIRED!" "Uhhhhh she hugged me?" "YOU'RE BOTH FIRED!"

I agree with keeping him remote at his home office and tele-networking if he does come back! NO need for him to make other creative artists uncomfortable now that we have screen-share software where you can watch artists work in real time.

Last edited:
Sooooooooo... what would happen if we had a time machine and we could go into the Studios to see the "closed-door" antics of the Nine Old Men and the other legacy Disney artists? I bet we'd see all sort of sordid, "sabbatical-generating" behavior...

One thing is for sure, Disney sure seems to be sticking to "hugging" as a term for Lasseter's behavior, they have not used other language. Maybe he really just is one of those touchy-feely people who loves to get in other's personal space. As annoying and uncomfortable as that is, it's a very different ball park than say, Weinstein, with alcohol, drugs, stalking, showing at hotel rooms, and actual physical assaults.

I have no idea how HR would run a seminar on, "Don't show emotion or hug your employees" when the name of the game in the studio is to "re-create the Illusion of Life". :( You need emotional people to animate this! But yeah.....

I feel bad for the animators who feel bad, but .... I don't know if there is an one-size-fits-all type of solution to these types of workplace behavior. "You hugged Sally! You're FIRED!" "Uhhhhh she hugged me?" "YOU'RE BOTH FIRED!"

I agree with keeping him remote at his home office and tele-networking if he does come back! NO need for him to make other creative artists uncomfortable now that we have screen-share software where you can watch artists work in real time.

Well, it is not about "hugging" it is about unwanted hugs - and clearly there was a patter of inappropriate - and unwanted - behavior that would be exacerbated when he would drink at events

So if you make it clear you don't want a hug and your boss/superior hugs you - that is not cool

Times definitely change and I am sure things took place 80 years ago at the studios that wouldn't acceptable now - and we are sort of in that weird time period where people are paying for past sins - but it doesn't mean what happened in the past should be be ignored

I think the problem with bringing him in any official capacity is the notion of that studio not being a place where women can advance and if you bring him back you are basically messaging we value him more than an environment that is open to all

Maybe it can work out but I think it is tricky - and at some point they need to move beyond him ... maybe this can be that catalyst

I generally agree with you and @skier_pete about what probably did happen, but I have tried to differentiate in my posts what has actually been communicated publicly. It is all we really know. I said it before in some other thread, but when this all broke they should have CLEARLY said up front that they take all such allegations seriously and they were going to put Mr. Lasseter on leave until they could conduct an investigation. Instead, Mr. Lasseter was the one to release his own statement about mis-steps (I think that was the word he used), and take a specific 6-month sabbatical like some professor recharging his batteries. The only thing we have heard since then was that they were going to have a "Day of Listening." It has been a huge public affairs fail. As @adam.adbe mentioned, it has not done Mr. Lasseter any favors either.

@JaxDad - I agree 100% with every word here. Publicly I think Disney has handled this very poorly. The ONLY excuse I give them is that this has really not really made a significant noise in the general media as others like Lauer/Weinstein/Cosby. There's articles out there on the internet, but in terms of the major media sites - very, very little has been said. It may just be that Disney hasn't said much because of the lack of publicity. Those of us that pay attention to all things Disney can't believe the lack of response'

I also think there needs to be a little bit of a "let's wait and see" here. Just because a few pretty unsubstantiated discussions saying they are bringing him back in so

I would hope, should Disney make the decision to bring him back, the animators and artists of Disney and Pixar go on strike and make a ton of noise that would get picked up by the news circuit.

Another thing we don't really know is how bad the issue is within Pixar/Disney. I mean, many employees might just think "sure, he's a bit of a creep - but I like my job and I'm not going to risk it over protesting the boss returning." Easy to suggest that from the outside, but when your job is on the line - it's often not going to happen. Organizing a walk-out can be a pretty CLM (career limiting move). Just ask Colin Kapernik what he got for suggesting people kneel during the national anthem.

I have been sort of waiting for this to happen. Disney does not want him going to one of thier competitors and we are all just fooling ourselves if we thought no one else would take a shot at him. Now knowing what he has been accused of will Disney bring him back and then make sure the attitude is not repeated? I could see where they might put a buffer in front of him and many of the people he offended.

Will all of those threatening to boycott Disney if he returns boycott one of their competitors if they scoop him up?
Some of the other animation studios are hurting right now with none of them really scoring a home run lately. While he is one serious momzer on his morals, his skills on the movies is 2nd to none. Someone will scoop him up and take the chance. Remember this is America and while people might kvetch right now if he goes to one of Disney's competitors and turns our a hit or two his past behavior will be a side note and if the potential new studio were to keep up on a short enough leash I would expect them to say well he has not done anything while working for us. If Disney does bring him back I do expect that to be on short leash he will be one with people to keep on eye on his behavior. Not saying its right but I don't expect Disney to let him go to the competiion.

I think of the things we used to do to each other working in surgery during the 80's.....we'd be burned at the stake now.
You make a good point if you heard the things we (guys) says to each other in temple you would thing we were all anti-Semitic and not a bunch of Jewish guys just talking. I mean we get down right mean to each other. Think Monty Python And The Life Of Brian and you can get a good idea.

Will all of those threatening to boycott Disney if he returns boycott one of their competitors if they scoop him up?

well, I indicated I can't see myself fully boycotting Disney - but it would make me less excited to give them my money and thus if I was on the fence about something I might decide against it. I mean, I loved Coco and then at the end when his name came on the screen it made me sand and in less of a positive mood

So I would likely act the same about any company that hires him

I think of the things we used to do to each other working in surgery during the 80's.....we'd be burned at the stake now.
Yeah ok and you shouldn't have been doing it then either tbh but you're not STILL doing it
Lasseter has a PATTERN of this behavior UNTIL recently
I don't know that I will boycott Disney but wouldnt it be better for them really if they let him go and I boycott whatever studio picks him up? I'm sorry I know he has great ideas and everyone has such an infatuation with what he did for Pixar but I just don't buy it and his name on a project is NOT worth it! So what if he gives the OK on everything? That means he does even less than he used to!

as @TheMaxRebo pointed out, they were gonna face the challenge of replacing him anyway just do it now, why not?

I don’t believe any active posters on these boards would boycott Disney, despite what they may say here.

I don't think I would be able to watch another movie where he's the director. That being said his last one was Cars 2, which I've never been able to finish. I probably won't even try to force myself to watch it now. I know he had a big role in The Good Dinosaur, but that one sucked too.

I know this may be a dumb question, but what does he do anyway? I know he's an "Executive Producer" and gets a movie credit for pretty much everything, but what does that even mean?

I don't think I would be able to watch another movie where he's the director. That being said his last one was Cars 2, which I've never been able to finish. I probably won't even try to force myself to watch it now. I know he had a big role in The Good Dinosaur, but that one sucked too.

I know this may be a dumb question, but what does he do anyway? I know he's an "Executive Producer" and gets a movie credit for pretty much everything, but what does that even mean?

He was head of all of the animation studios, so any big decision still had to go through him and he would give his inputs and would have to give his approval to final scripts and directions things were going and stuff like that.

he was also influential in getting Pixar into the parks

He was head of all of the animation studios, so any big decision still had to go through him and he would give his inputs and would have to give his approval to final scripts and directions things were going and stuff like that.

he was also influential in getting Pixar into the parks
Right and now it's in the parks so who needs him now? I am sure plenty of people are just as capable of saying yes and no to projects with good judgement and that can keep their hands to themselves.

Right and now it's in the parks so who needs him now? I am sure plenty of people are just as capable of saying yes and no to projects with good judgement and that can keep their hands to themselves.

well apparently he was looked at as almost a Deity in there with how people looked up to him and that sort of thing - so it isn't like replacing just another worker bee (I mean, he was basically considered this generations Walt Disney - so replacing Walt wasn't exactly easy)

By no means am I saying the shouldn't move on or anything as I don't think he should come back but I also get why, in a perfect world, Disney would want to find a way for it to be ok to bring him back

well apparently he was looked at as almost a Deity in there with how people looked up to him and that sort of thing - so it isn't like replacing just another worker bee (I mean, he was basically considered this generations Walt Disney - so replacing Walt wasn't exactly easy)

By no means am I saying the shouldn't move on or anything as I don't think he should come back but I also get why, in a perfect world, Disney would want to find a way for it to be ok to bring him back
I get it. But aren't we disillusioned now anyway? Would bringing him back really fix that?

You make a good point if you heard the things we (guys) says to each other in temple you would thing we were all anti-Semitic and not a bunch of Jewish guys just talking. I mean we get down right mean to each other. Think Monty Python And The Life Of Brian and you can get a good idea.

But joking with your co-workers / friends is not the same. He is the BOSS. Imagine the top administrator of the hospital walking in and playing grab-you-know-what with the nurses, and then treating the female staff as less than the male staff. I work in a union environment and the guys here can get very raunchy, but as the boss i have to hold myself to a higher standard at work. Since being promoted I watch what i say a lot more.

Disney has to worry about Lasseter's damaged reputation rubbing off on his cartoon characters. People are now going to look at Buzz, Woody and Lightning McQueen as having questionable turpitude. You've got to wonder if the cartoon characters also had substance abuse problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter