LA day trip from LAX

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Not sure why, but I saw Southwest's California fare sale and thought maybe I'd take advantage of it. Originally I was thinking of doing it as overnight (Tue-Wed), but then the cost seemed to go up on every OAK-LAX flight on Tuesday even though it was still listed as the lowest price ($29 or 1088 Rapid Rewards points). It just gave me a message saying the price went up after I selected it, so I figure maybe I don't make it an overnight but a day trip.

I was caught up in the Christmastime Southwest meltdown, and they did make good with the 25,000 apology points, a prompt full refund (I believe that's required by law anyways), and reimbursement for Amtrak fare that replaced the flight. So I'm seeing what I can do with those points.

But I'm wondering what I might be able to do without a car for maybe 10 hours between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure at LAX. I don't think I've even been to LAX in over 20 years other than pass through the area during bus travel. I've got a TAP card and I know how to take public transportation, although sometimes the discount transfers get confusing. I was thinking maybe Santa Monica, Venice Beach, or Marina del Rey. I wasn't sure if I might have enough time to go the The Getty. I don't have any specific reason for this trip other than it sounded like something I could do fairly cheap and burn a PTO day. I'm not really sticking around too long in any spot, but obviously I'm going to need to eat and some place quick might be nice.

Did you already buy the airfare?

If not, are there any concerts or live performances happening in LA that you'd be interested in attending? If so, plan a trip around that.

What about Universal Hollywood for Super Nintendo World? It opens next Friday.

Did you already buy the airfare?

If not, are there any concerts or live performances happening in LA that you'd be interested in attending? If so, plan a trip around that.

What about Universal Hollywood for Super Nintendo World? It opens next Friday.
I only have a bit over 10 hours and my flight back is at about 7:30 PM. I don’t think I’ll have enough time for LA, and especially not for OC. I’ve done that before when I had lots of time, but this is more a test of how much I can pack into maybe 8 hours including public transportation.

I checked the fares for other airports, but they were all way more, where the lowest fare sale prices were only for LAX. I booked with the 1088 points each way, but Long Beach or OC all jumped to at least 3600 points each way.

I only have a bit over 10 hours and my flight back is at about 7:30 PM. I don’t think I’ll have enough time for LA, and especially not for OC. I’ve done that before when I had lots of time, but this is more a test of how much I can pack into maybe 8 hours including public transportation.

I checked the fares for other airports, but they were all way more, where the lowest fare sale prices were only for LAX. I booked with the 1088 points each way, but Long Beach or OC all jumped to at least 3600 points each way.

I didn't suggest OC...

Stay in LA. Do griffith observatory, Hollywood boulevard, . There is a LAX to union Station bus, I think, which you can then take the metro to Hollywood

Stay in LA. Do griffith observatory, Hollywood boulevard, . There is a LAX to union Station bus, I think, which you can then take the metro to Hollywood

Already did that in December. I stayed two nights in Hollywood at a place right on Hollywood Blvd. Went to Griffith Observatory at night. My main concern would be all the time spent just getting to Union Station, so I'm thinking of stuff closer to the airport. I was thinking of just strolling for an hour in Venice Beach although I'm not sure how cold it will be in March.

Is there any reason you are rushing to use these Southwest points? They don't expire.

Is there any reason you are rushing to use these Southwest points? They don't expire.

Two-day fare sale. but it's over now. This article isn't correct that it was a one-day sale. It went live on Tuesday. Round-trip was 2176 points plus $11.20.

The “super sale,” which is live until midnight on Wednesday, boasts seriously cheap fares for spring trips. You can fly as cheap as $29 one-way from the Bay Area to Southern California destinations like Los Angeles, Long Beach, Lake Tahoe, and San Diego. For $30 more, your options can also include Palm Springs.​

If there’s a next time, one idea is rideshare to Manhattan Beach then rent a e-bike and ride along the coast as far as you’re comfortable. There are bike paths up to Santa Monica if you’re up for it and plenty of things to see on the way there and back.
https://www.mbebike.com/
It’s about 12 miles from MB to SM, about an hour to 90 mins or so with an eBike

Managed to spend an uneventful day but I wasn’t terribly stressed out and really had no expectations. I think I spent less than $15 out of pocket while on the trip. Windy as heck though. I was worried about rain, but didn’t experience any. But I heard there was graupel further inland, including Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter