• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Kindergarten and speech delay

dizzyami

<font color=green>That makes me happy<br><font col
Please excuse my ignorance - but I have a few concerns...and thought this might be the best place for help.

My DS (4) is severely speech delayed. I have taken him to numerous pediatricians, and all I can get is a referral for him to attend preschool. I had him in speech therapy for a few months, but we just moved and it was way to costly for us to pick back up right now. My concern is how he is going to survive in kindergarten. He seriously only has a handful of words that others can understand - along with a bit of sign language. As next year approaches I am getting more and more stressed about how this is going to work. Please, any advice or experiences that you could share I would greatly appreciate. :goodvibes

Have you had him evaluated by your local school district? They'd be the ones to offer speech services for a school-aged child.

Have you had him evaluated by your local school district? They'd be the ones to offer speech services for a school-aged child.

Schmeck is right about the school services but you don't have to be school aged. Call you local department of ed and have him evaluated for early services. Most likely if his speach is really delayed they will put him in one of their early education classes with other kids with disabilities.

I am a speech pathologist in the public preschool setting. Please check with your special education department to see what is available. I believe that kids should move on with their peers, but early intervention is critical. You would be amazed at the progress that can occur in the preschool years!

We have three different options for preschoolers in need of speech therapy. The first is to attend our inclusive preschool program. This preschool setting is very language and sensory based and kids with special needs are included in the classroom. All therapies are conducted within the classroom unless there is a goal that needs to be targeted outside of the classroom setting.

We also have small group speech therapy sessions. Parents bring their children for 30 minutes per week to a group of 3-4 kids with the SLP for a speech therapy session.

The last option we have is for kids with significant speech and language delays without other special needs. This group works for 2.5 hours once or twice each week (depending upon the need of the child) and it is basically a preschool format with speech goals targeted in every activity. We do not charge for either group setting and there is a charge to be in the regular preschool class. However, the fee is often waived if the family is unable to pay.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. DS is in special needs preschool through the school district. He also attended all last year - but there was little to no improvement in speech (why I got the outside speech therapy). He is also attending preschool through the school system this year, and is guaranteed 30 minutes/week speech therapy. I am just starting to freak out now (knowing that kindergarten is so soon - full day at that), and I just don't know how he is going to be able to deal with it, or survive in a classroom. I know there are many others out there dealing with something similar, or even much worse - it just seems like every professional (doctor/school/state early intervention) wants to defer the problem, and not really be concerned with it.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. DS is in special needs preschool through the school district. He also attended all last year - but there was little to no improvement in speech (why I got the outside speech therapy). He is also attending preschool through the school system this year, and is guaranteed 30 minutes/week speech therapy. I am just starting to freak out now (knowing that kindergarten is so soon - full day at that), and I just don't know how he is going to be able to deal with it, or survive in a classroom. I know there are many others out there dealing with something similar, or even much worse - it just seems like every professional (doctor/school/state early intervention) wants to defer the problem, and not really be concerned with it.

I typically see kids in our preschool program at least 30 minutes each week. But, I also train the staff to include the goals in their play with the children while I am not in the classroom, so they truly get more than the minimum on their IEPs.

Kindergarten is a scary thing for parents- believe me- my DD just started this year, I work in education and I am a mess worrying about her! You will probably see a great improvement over the school year. Kids often show an improvement in their attention in the 4/5 class and make great gains. Remember, too, that is is really early in the school year and kids are still adjusting to new classrooms/ teachers/ friends/ routines, try to give him time to adjust before worrying too much.

If you really feel like the therapists/teachers aren't listening to you, call for another IEP meeting and get a parent advocate involved. As a professional, I am a firm believer in early intervention and have always had great experiences with parent advocates.

It really is imperative that you call another CPSE meeting and request more speech services. 30 minutes of speech per week is the bare minimum and frankly (I'd have to look up the federal statutes) I believe it's below the minimum. If your child NEEDS speech as much as five times a week for more than 30 minutes a session to attain an APPROPRIATE education, then that is what they need to provide. I emphasized the words NEEDS and APPROPRIATE, because they're very important words to use in your meetings. Never use the words want or best. They don't care what you want for your child, only what your child needs. Don't say you want whats best for your child, they don't have to provide the best, only what's appropriate.

Has your child received a diagnosis? Is it something like Apraxia of Speech, something on the autistic spectrum, or is it an oral motor problem? How they approach his therapy will vary.

There are accommodations and services that will help him when he's in kindergarten, but you really want to get as much help now that you can. A year can make a remarkable difference.

Thanks for all of the replies - I knew you guys would be a great resource :goodvibes

He first had a speech eval a couple months short of his 3rd bday - so they sent him straight to the school system (he had barely met all other milestones, so every pediatrician dismissed the delay as a two year older sister that spoke for him). The evaluator refused to make a diagnosis, saying he did not have enough speech to make a determination.

The speech therapist at his preschool last year had never heard of apraxia, and really did not have a clue...(I had researched apraxia, and that is my guess)

The independent speech therapist we paid for guessed it was apraxia, but could not make an official diagnosis.

We just moved - so new pediatrician and school (holding out on speech - way to expensive). New pediatrician said aphasia (which does not make sense to me), and referred to the school (where I was already getting him enrolled). The speech therapist here does believe apraxia, but again, no official diagnosis. Deep down I think there is some sort of mild autism, and whatever OCD is as a child :confused3

This is just all so new to me - I sit through the IEP's, and am non-confrontational by nature, so I am afraid I am too compliant and not asking enough - is there some place I can learn what my rights are and get more of a clarification....:confused:

Wowzerz Dizzyami!

First of all, I'm 1 year from being an SLP (started my second year of the masters program this week) and at this point even I could provide an opinion regarding your son's speech or language "delay"! Seems like someone keeps dropping the ball.

You didn't say if therapy is helping. But at this point knowing if it is a speech delay or a language delay is imperitive because it will lead the therapy- if your son has developmental apraxia of speech, he should be working on the sounds, how to make the sounds... If he has developmental apraxia, he would be attempting to communicate but depending on severity, be unintelligible as you suggest.

Some children on the autism spectrum on the other hand, have little desire to communicate- they wouldn't necessarily point out things that interest them just to comment on them (or share attention) unless they wanted an object

Aphasia is actual damage to the brain- most frequently after a stroke or truamatic brain injury. I would be nearly certain that your son does not have aphasia at this point in his life.

Even without speech a determination can be made regarding apraxia vs a spectrum disorder vs something else (e.g. a language delay). I personally would do 2 things besides what has already been suggested- I would call his current speech therapist and ask when it would be a good time to sit in on a session because you want to know how best to work with him at home and I would have him reassed by the school district- at this age, there are TONS of different standardized tests that they can use to make determinations where to go from there.

Just my .02

With your added information, I would call the school and request that he be retested. This testing should include the full evauation team- speech, occupational therapist, psychologist and physical therapist (if you see any gross motor issues). Even with very little verbal speech, they should be able to determine his present levels in all these areas. If you suspect any type of autism, request testing for autism. I know this is all very scary and can be overwhelming, but you are your child's best advocate and you may need to stand up for him. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

I am a speech pathologist in the public preschool setting. Please check with your special education department to see what is available. I believe that kids should move on with their peers, but early intervention is critical. You would be amazed at the progress that can occur in the preschool years!

We have three different options for preschoolers in need of speech therapy. The first is to attend our inclusive preschool program. This preschool setting is very language and sensory based and kids with special needs are included in the classroom. All therapies are conducted within the classroom unless there is a goal that needs to be targeted outside of the classroom setting.

We also have small group speech therapy sessions. Parents bring their children for 30 minutes per week to a group of 3-4 kids with the SLP for a speech therapy session.

The last option we have is for kids with significant speech and language delays without other special needs. This group works for 2.5 hours once or twice each week (depending upon the need of the child) and it is basically a preschool format with speech goals targeted in every activity. We do not charge for either group setting and there is a charge to be in the regular preschool class. However, the fee is often waived if the family is unable to pay.

I agree Early Intervention is critical!!!

Wowzerz Dizzyami!

Children on the autism spectrum on the other hand, have little desire to communicate- they wouldn't necessarily point out things that interest them just to comment on them (or share attention) unless they wanted an object

Wow I wouldn't be throwing out loaded statements about ASD children in your field. Perhaps you do need one more year! Your statement is absolutely untrue. That is why they call it a spectrum disorder.

[/QUOTE]Children on the autism spectrum on the other hand, have little desire to communicate- they wouldn't necessarily point out things that interest them just to comment on them (or share attention) unless they wanted an object[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but as mother of an ASD child be very careful of how you label autistic children. There is a huge spectum.

SLP is not qualified to give a dx of ASD.

I agree that is not enough ST. If you feel its autism, take him to a developmental ped. HAve you thought about red shirting him??

PM if you need anything else.

First of all, I'm 1 year from being an SLP (started my second year of the masters program this week) and at this point even I could provide a diagnosis! Seems like someone keeps dropping the ball.

As I said in the last thread but forgot to include this.... You are not an Dev Ped, or a Ped, or a neurologist or a gen p. So how could you possibly provide a diagnosis for anyone for that matter?

First of all, I'm 1 year from being an SLP (started my second year of the masters program this week) and at this point even I could provide a diagnosis! Seems like someone keeps dropping the ball.

As I said in the last thread but forgot to include this.... You are not an Dev Ped, or a Ped, or a neurologist or a gen p. So how could you possibly provide a diagnosis for anyone for that matter?

Okokok I get the point, I should have been clearer (and will edit my previous post to clarify)

I can differentiate between a whole host of speech and language disorders- no, i can't diagnose ASD, never said I could. But the OP stated that her son wasn't talking- I was trying to give her a differentiation between a neuromotor SPEECH disorder (apraxia was my example) and Autism which has a LANGUAGE componenet.

I never said that EVERY child with ASD has no desire to communicate- but her son doesn't talk... does he not talk because he doesn't want to or because he can't make the words come out... there is a difference.

Yes, I still need another year- no doubt about that. But at least I wouldn't test a three year old and say "nope, don't know whats going on" without consulting colleages and making sure that someone DOES figure out what's going on.

Get an advocate! I have one. She is my wing man literally. I have had her for 5 years. That is my best advice to you!! PM me if you need further assistance.

Okokok I get the point, I should have been clearer (and will edit my previous post to clarify)

I can differentiate between a whole host of speech and language disorders- no, i can't diagnose ASD, never said I could. But the OP stated that her son wasn't talking- I was trying to give her a differentiation between a neuromotor SPEECH disorder (apraxia was my example) and Autism which has a LANGUAGE componenet.

I never said that EVERY child with ASD has no desire to communicate- but her son doesn't talk... does he not talk because he doesn't want to or because he can't make the words come out... there is a difference.

Yes, I still need another year- no doubt about that. But at least I wouldn't test a three year old and say "nope, don't know whats going on" without consulting colleages and making sure that someone DOES figure out what's going on.

You are back peddling here. Don't you think? A word of advice. When you go into the districts for a position. I would use a lot more diplomacy than what we have seen on these boards.

Get an advocate! I have one. She is my wing man literally. I have had her for 5 years. That is my best advice to you!! PM me if you need further assistance.

I totally agree with getting an advocate. I am an SLP and love when advocates come to our conferences. I feel like they help us all to put things in perspective and put the child's needs first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter