• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids got quite an education...

RUDisney

Mom to Ivan & Kristina
I hadn't thought of this until last Saturday. We took the kids to the Philadelphia Zoo for the day. This is the first time they've been to a park type place with us for the whole day that covered alot of ground.

By the end of the day, our legs hurt; our feet hurt; and we were tired. They had started to complain about everything. We used this opportunity to discuss how they (and we) will feel at WDW in just a little over a month.

We explained to them that we can take breaks when they want and we can go back to the hotel to swim, etc.

I'm so glad that we had this experience with them prior to our big trip. Experiencing the aches and heat was much more meaningful than us trying to tell them about it.

It also made me think to put an extra bottle of children's motrin in our suitcase in case they need it.

Hi RU!!!

I hear you!

You reminded me that in The Unofficial Guide To WDW, Bob Sehlinger suggests a pre-Disney workout and that everyone be able to do about 4 miles!!!!!

Almost made my DM stay home - but she did fine!

It's taken me a few trips to understand pacing and the joys of "other things" in WDW besides the parks. We came home with an extra day on each of the kids' tickets and I upgraded to an AP. More trip time - less commando-park thinking.

You're gonna have a great time!!!!!!

After having hip surgery I'm a true believer in good quality shoes with good support. I feel a definite difference between Target shoes and nike's or reebok's. I still buy cheap shoes for everyday but for any length of walking I have to have my nike's or reebok's!!!

RUDisney, we also had a leaning experience this weekend. We will be going to Disney nexy month also and my children are small--4yrs old and 23 months-twins. Our first trip and not sure if they would be afraid of the characters. Our town had a community day and bob the builder, spongebob and elmo were there. I was happy to learn that 2 out of three kids loved the characters. Now I will be prepared and keep one of them away. Maybe we will see you in disney. Have a good trip.

Keep in mind that there are baby comfort stations at the MK for those who need a break and in case you forgot something at home. This gives you a little time to take a break and relax for a few moments.

Take in some of the shows where you can sit for a while. Time off your feet.

If you are traveling with infants or children too small for a ride, no need for one of you to miss a ride. Do a baby switch. Just make sure you let the ride attendant know and they accommodate you. If you don't know how it works its simple. You all get together in the line, tell the attendant and those meeting the height requirement get on. They will direct you to where to go and stand, etc. When their ride is complete, you hand over the children to them and you take their seat. It works great.

Originally posted by RUDisney
I hadn't thought of this until last Saturday. We took the kids to the Philadelphia Zoo for the day. This is the first time they've been to a park type place with us for the whole day that covered alot of ground.

By the end of the day, our legs hurt; our feet hurt; and we were tired. They had started to complain about everything. We used this opportunity to discuss how they (and we) will feel at WDW in just a little over a month.

We explained to them that we can take breaks when they want and we can go back to the hotel to swim, etc.

I'm so glad that we had this experience with them prior to our big trip. Experiencing the aches and heat was much more meaningful than us trying to tell them about it.

Hmmm. Maybe we should have my in-laws come out so we can take them to the zoo before we hit WDW with them. Unlike on little house on the prarie, no one in the mid-west it seems walks further than the distance between the front door and the garage. :)

Actually, this reminds me of the time we took them to the Mall in DC. Maybe if I point out it's like that, but only worse. At least the Mall has turf in places.

-Joe

By all means take a swimm or nap break during the hottest part of the day. There have been times when no one wanted to leave but, we were pooped so we sat thru a few dark cool shows to take a break. When we told the kids we are going back in March 2003 the 2 things they look forward to are the hotel pool and the hotel kids club. For 2 nights of our 8 day trip my girls (9 & 6) get to go to one of the kids clubs and they always have a great time and DH and I get some time to ourselves in EPCOT.

Have fun!

163 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter