Kids & Deployment

GJM

DIS Veteran
My DH is suppose to be deploying next month - we have dates, but no orders yet. He is gone for 3 weeks training then back for a week, then gone.

We have told our DS 8 about this, that is is probably going to happen. He is just so upset, which I understand. He keeps talking about the war, and we are answering his questions. The thing he is most upset about is that DH won't be here for his birthday, he just started crying about that.

My DH is Army Reserve, so we are not close to a base.

Does anyone have any advice or any good books that I can get DS.

Thank you so much for any suggestions.

there are some excellent resources at Military One Source. (www.militaryonesource.com). There is a sesame street video that i have heard excellent things about ( my children are grown-and were teens during our first deployment so my issues were different than yours) and I know they did a live show here on post-they have a sesame street show that deals just with deployment even-the tickets were free and they had to add shows to meet the demand. Military one source will have other resources-including idividual and family counseling if you need it. Also you might want to see if your Family Readiness Group has other families with young children you might be able to net work with. I know its tough-i honestly dont know how the girls with young kids do it.

Thanks for the info. I was actually on that site today looking at some things.

Hi! Sorry to hear your DS is having such a hard time. I saw you were in Myrtle Beach. Have you considered driving to Shaw in Sumter, or over to Charleston. I know they are AF Bases, but they might be able to help also. My DH recommended Ft. Jackson also. Our previous base held a program each year to show kids what their parents go through when they deploy. They climbed into a bus, went to a location where tables were set up just like our loved ones go through to be deployed. I don't know if one of the other bases close to you might have something like this.

Read through the threads on the United We Stand page. There have been lots of others that have asked the same question and have gotten some great advice. One idea I really liked was for your DS to send something with his Daddy, since we are talking about a boy, maybe an action figure or it can be a stuffed animal. Then your DH can send pictures home of him with this item. My DS was also 8 when DH was deployed. I sent Yu-Gi-Oh packs to DH and he would mail them to our DS. He still can't believe they had Yu-Gi-Oh packs in Iraq.

Be sure to take care of yourself also!

Thank you - I love the idea of him sending something with his Dad. My DS is very into Star Wars and Bakugon.

I have been to Charleston AFB, I will go shopping at the Commissary once in awhile and stock up.

I really appreciate the suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter