Kidani vs Jambo - first DVC visit

ClosetDisMom

Mouseketeer
After having my 9 year old help me research the DVCs for our July 2018 trip, she decided that our first choice for booking at the 7 month window will be AKL - the animals won her over. ;) This will be our first DVC trip.

I have looked into Jambo vs. Kidani on other sites, but I thought I would post it here because... well... you guys usually know everything...:disrocks:

So, we will be getting a Savannah view 1 bedroom (if available at 7 months - but threads on here indicate that it should be for July:cool1:). Which is better for a family of 4 with young kids (7 and 10 at time of trip): Jambo or Kidani? Why?

Kidani has a few benefits on the room side. There are 2 bathrooms in the 1BR's there vs 1 at Jambo so the kids would have one to use out in the living area and you'd have one in the master bedroom. Also the savannah views at Kidani go down to the 2nd floor which would place you closer to the animal viewing. Jambo rooms are on the 5th floor there and there can be some tree's interfering with the views. Of course you could have a higher room at Kidani but at least it's a possibility. Kidani also has the Community Hall if you like to use that and the pool has a splash area and probably a little better slide.

Jambo has a good quick service area (Mara) and more activity going on around. Kidani is a little quieter. But of course you can use amenities at either location no matter where you stay and they do operate a shuttle between the two buildings.

Jambo has a good quick service area (Mara) and more activity going on around. Kidani is a little quieter. But of course you can use amenities at either location no matter where you stay and they do operate a shuttle between the two buildings.

Thanks! Can you walk between the two or is the shuttle the only way to get from Jambo to Kidani?

It's a fairly short walk, or if anyone in your party has an ECV, they can even get over there other ECV. I rode over to Mara for dinner, then back to our room in Kidani. Frankly, although Kidani was available and Jambo wasn't, I wish we could have stayed at Jambo. I like their lobby, their bigger gift shop, and closer to Mara.

Don't forget about the differences in the master bathrooms between Jambo and Kidani. Kidani is luxurious. Jambo is converted hotel bathrooms so no separate shower from the tub and you have to cross the hallway to get to the bathroom from the master bedroom. No running to the bathroom in your birthday suit at Jambo if you have someone in the living room.

I love Jambo house and always thought that I would choose it over Kidani until we actually stayed in a Kidani 1 bedroom. It was set up so much nicer than the Jambo 1 bedroom that I will only stay in Jambo if I am staying in studios, anything else we will book the nicer set up at Kidani.

I was booked in a 1 bedroom at Jambo for the week before Christmas and then read that the 1 bedrooms at Kidani had two bathrooms. We switched. I’m so excited that the kids will have their own bathroom!

If you choose Kidani, ask for a Sunset savanna view as the small Pemba savanna does not have giraffes.
The Kidani pool has the kid’s splash area - which looks like a lot of fun, however you can visit both pools.
There is a shuttle between Jambo and Kidani, it’s a fairly short walk or you can take downtown Disney buses from Jambo to Kidani and any park bus from Kidani to Jambo (check when you board as they occasionally deviate from the normal route.)
Jambo’s lobby is simply gorgeous and you have the chance to end up on any of the 3 larger savannas, albeit on the 5th floor.
Kidani’s lobby is ok, but you get an extra bathroom in the 1 br. and slightly more space plus the chance to be on a lower floor and thus more ‘eye level’ w/ the animals.
You are more likely to get a Kidani villa as there are more of them, thus your choice may be made for you.

Jambo for value rooms. Absolutely loved where our studio was, super quick and easy to get to. Favorable odds of getting a room with a pool or savannah view.
For all other room types though I'd have to say Kidani, which I've never stayed. But we did use the pool which was better and had a great kids area. The Kidani lobby, back viewing area, and breakfast at Sannaa were all notable aspects of our trip. I think the resort is nicer there. Plus an extra bathroom as mentioned above. Sold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter