Keeping an eye on Tropical Weather 2024

We have flights for Saturday morning, flying into Tampa. I think by Saturday the storm will have passed. However, I am concerned about power outages in the area. And whether Tampa airport will be open.

I’d start with Chat because I’m lazy, and if they can’t do it then I’d call that number.
Yes that should work it is the non-reservation Support line.

I would second @gottalovepluto on trying the Chat feature in the MDE app. Start on the Main Menu. It is the right most button on the bottom of most screens (3 horizontal lines) aka the Hamburger menu button.

Scroll down to the Chat With Us link, the CMs are available 6 AM ET - Midnight 7 days a week.

Dave
Thanks! I usually just call but this was much better. Had to wait 33 minutes before someone responded, but I got the confirmations that they have refunded them.

Just saw an update on Tampa Airport. Closing at 9 am Tuesday morning. Opening TBD. They are worried about damage to the runways and infrastructure from storm surge. Choosing my words carefully as this is not a direct quote.

They are worried about damage to the runways and infrastructure from storm surge.
While that is important precaution. The main reason that TPA is closing tomorrow at 9 AM and MCO on Wednesday Morning (time TBD) at this time. is due to the planes being moved out of the cone of the Hurricane.

Airports are not evacuation shelters and no one should try to wait out a Hurricane at an Airport.

Dave

While that is important precaution. The main reason that TPA is closing tomorrow at 9 AM and MCO on Wednesday Morning (time TBD) at this time. is due to the planes being moved out of the cone of the Hurricane.

Airports are not evacuation shelters and no one should try to wait out a Hurricane at an Airport.

Dave
TPA is in a zone A evacuation area. That’s why it’s closing.

Our kids' long-awaited birthday trip is coming up this weekend. Flying to MCO on Friday night and then to VGF...hoping that MCO is reopened by then and that the CMs in the area and those staying stay safe the next few days.

If Tampa/St Pete can do it...

I'm not sure how flood prone WDW really is, but this wouldn't cost them anything.

1728327482188.png

j

We have flights for Saturday morning, flying into Tampa. I think by Saturday the storm will have passed. However, I am concerned about power outages in the area. And whether Tampa airport will be open.
If Tampa Bay actually does take a direct hit, given the location of the airport, I'm going to guess that it will not be open on Saturday.

If Tampa/St Pete can do it...

I'm not sure how flood prone WDW really is, but this wouldn't cost them anything.

View attachment 901449

j
One of he reasons in Tampa, especially for electric vehicles is that the flooding from surge is an issue to lithium batteries. Salt water and those batteries don’t mix. There’s been fires. With Orlando, any type of flooding would be fresh water.

My friend flew down couple of years ago right after hurricane said it was great. Of course it was not as close at his one.

Salt water and those batteries don’t mix. There’s been fires. With Orlando, any type of flooding would be fresh water.
Not only Salt water. Any water submersion of an EV increases the fire risk due to the possibility of a thermal runaway. This is when the battery cell discharges energy and heats up from one cell to the next, causing a fire.

Dave

If Tampa Bay actually does take a direct hit, given the location of the airport, I'm going to guess that it will not be open on Saturday.
Yep, that's definitely our concern. We couldn't move to MCO due to prices. Unfortunately, we have until tomorrow to cancel the hotel without penalty.

Not only Salt water. Any water submersion of an EV increases the fire risk due to the possibility of a thermal runaway. This is when the battery cell discharges energy and heats up from one cell to the next, causing a fire.

Dave
Any water penetration, not necessarily submersion, can cause a soft short depending on the cell architecture and chemistry. Thermal runaway is actually when a cell's exothermic reaction cannot be thwarted until the fire source is removed/exhausted (like O2). The cascading effect is a function of the battery pack with the cell construction.

Now back to Milton:

I just crossed under I-75 about an hour ago (I live about 45 minutes north of Orlando). The interstate northbound lanes were crawling. Some folks that are trying to bypass the highway, are backing up the secondary routes as well.

I just filled my bathtub(s) and am going to photograph my property for auditing purposes if need be. Tomorrow is a final test of my generator, removal of anything that can fly and ensure all electronics are fully charged. It's going to be a rough couple of days/nights.

Are you going to Disney? How do you plan on getting there? The airport might be open on Saturday but that doesn't mean the planes will be there. Power outages will for sure by going on by Saturday. There is also a gas shortage here where places are running out of gas. Not only talking Tampa, talking the entire central FL. While the storm may be passed by then, I don't think anything will be going on normally by then personally

Tough call. Not sure what I would do in that situation

Not sure why they wouldn't move you to MCO for free based on all this. Not saying it will be much better there either though

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest