Keeping an eye on Tropical Weather 2024

How did Lakeland fare overall? I see online that power is out almost everywhere, but how’s the flooding situation? We have a storage locker there, and their office hasn’t posted any updates yet.
The flooding is here and there. The flooding on the road into one subdivision has receded about two feet since this morning. I’m seeing so many mixed reports from my Lakeland fb friends. Some flooding up to their waist, many no flooding at all.

Hi, all - My sister evaluated to YC from Tampa; she and her daughter and pup are safe, thankfully. They're both kind of picky eaters, and I tried to warn her that she should go over to Epcot and grab some snacks and stuff from the bakery at the France pavilion, but it didn't happen. So now, we have two picky eaters with boxed snacks that they don't like, just as predicted. Anyone have any reports of quick service or buffets available or anything? I know, I know. I told them to buy the darn baguettes! Thanks!
I'm sorry, but they drove from Tampa and did not bring any food with them? o_O

The situation at CBR Is not great, the pool is freezing, activities are just colouring in for little kids a some music, 40 plus min wait to order a drink, over 60 for food, and no on demand TV
Unfortunately each resort manages their resources independently and from your posts it clearly looks like they missed the Mark. during this schedule interruption at CBR.

Have you considered walking over to the Rivera resort for a change of scenery and maybe different food options?

Dave

No direct suggestions but with all the food options around Crescent Lake they should be able to find something to eat. Also have them consider the Swan / Dolphin and the Swan Reserve.

What food options are available to them at the YC/BC?

The weather is cooperating still this afternoon so they can get out and check their options.

Dave
From her, "Just junk." Sounds like that's not the case!! There is a lot of stress on her, obviously, so I'm trying to be understanding, but I know I would be marching myself and my kid right on out to get some food and be outside.
We are here at Beach Club. They can walk up to Cape May for the buffet, Beaches and Cream, or the Marketplace. The Boardwalk has some options too. I think the pizza window is even operating.
This is great info, thank you!

I'm sorry, but they drove from Tampa and did not bring any food with them? o_O
Don't get me started. Then again, her ex was trying to keep their kid for an extra night (he refuses to evacuate), and my sister was trying to prep her house alone. The fear and stress was off the charts. My bigger freak-out was why they didn't get stuff when they had an entire half day to gather acceptable food!

It's not the airports I am concerned about. It is more about what the airlines themselves did to shuffle things or planes around.
I feel the same. Tomorrow we are scheduled on a direct flight with American into MCO. Originally the plane was coming from Miami and parking overnight, but now it is coming from Boston tomorrow morning. Will be shocked if there aren't delays. We are packing light, and keeping plans flexible.

Editing to add that we are checked in, have boarding passes, and flight says "On Time" :magnify:

I would send your feedback to Disney. They need to know their IT did not cut it as a replacement to paper in your case.
I went to the reception to mention our issues, water in the room, TV not working, messages not delivered. They just "took note" they didn't offer any additional items like a pass or a voucher of any sort.
I mean last time we stayed at the Poly they gave us a $100 voucher because we couldn't get transportation from the water park to the hotel and that was much less of an inconvenience!
I'm not someone who general expects stuff but for the amount of money we spent to stay here for two weeks it is a bit disappointing.

I went to the reception to mention our issues, water in the room, TV not working, messages not delivered. They just "took note" they didn't offer any additional items like a pass or a voucher of any sort.
I mean last time we stayed at the Poly they gave us a $100 voucher because we couldn't get transportation from the water park to the hotel and that was much less of an inconvenience!
I'm not someone who general expects stuff but for the amount of money we spent to stay here for two weeks it is a bit disappointing.
Ah. Well, I would expect 0 compensation for this. Sorry if you thought I meant you had a shot at compensation, my thinking was more for future reference for their team that evaluates how their hurricane ops went.

Yesterday we got notice our Saturday flight might be cancelled so we moved our flight to next Wednesday.
Originally scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, I scrambled to change our SWA flight

Day wasn't included in their stated switch days, so couldn't use the link they send

Watched replacement flights disappear, finally just (over) paid for new one on Saturday.

Got ahold of them & they agreed to refund us the difference between the prices, nice!

Received this text Tuesday AM

Your SWA flight on Oct 12 may be affected by potential weather conditions. For more info and travel options, please visit xxxx

Then, an offer via email to take a potential voucher

We’re looking forward to seeing you onboard 2606 on 2024-10-12from PIT to MCO. We may be looking for volunteers with the flexibility to change flights. Once you complete the form here’s what to expect:

• A Customer Service Representative may call you on or prior to your day of travel to discuss your options. We will not call you less than 4 hours before your flight.

• If you decide to switch your flight, we will provide you with a Southwest LUV voucher to use on your next trip.

• You are still on your original flight until we contact you.

• Change your mind? No problem, just tell us when we call.

If you’re willing to volunteer to switch your flight, please sign up below.

Thank you for being flexible,
The Southwest Team

Volunteering doesn’t guarantee being selected.

Flight obviously oversold. For the first time in forever :rolleyes1, I quickly added EBIC.

DH asked if we'd get A. HA, explained we would be lucky to get high B or C. I just want a seat, any seat on flight that takes off at this point!

We also have no power - about 35 miles SE of Orlando.44% of our county has NO POWER.
good luck they have the power up soon!

Last edited:
Hi, all - My sister evaluated to YC from Tampa; she and her daughter and pup are safe, thankfully. They're both kind of picky eaters, and I tried to warn her that she should go over to Epcot and grab some snacks and stuff from the bakery at the France pavilion, but it didn't happen. So now, we have two picky eaters with boxed snacks that they don't like, just as predicted. Anyone have any reports of quick service or buffets available or anything? I know, I know. I told them to buy the darn baguettes! Thanks!
Hurricane Hanna's should be open now (I was told as soon as the pools opened, which they should be by now). There are options at The Market at Ale & Compass and at the Beach Club Marketplace. I know that places are open on the Boardwalk, and at the Dolphin, Swan, and Swan Reserve. We got Dole Whip at Fuel at the Dolphin, and flatbread pizza at Swan Reserve. Today was a day for exploring places we ordinarily would not go to, ha ha. There is always ice cream to go at Beaches & Cream, or walk-up reservations (I just saw that it listed "Join the Walk Up List.") What kind of food are they looking for? We picked up a gluten free pizza yesterday afternoon at the Pizza Window.

Hurricane Hanna's should be open now (I was told as soon as the pools opened, which they should be by now). There are options at The Market at Ale & Compass and at the Beach Club Marketplace. I know that places are open on the Boardwalk, and at the Dolphin, Swan, and Swan Reserve. We got Dole Whip at Fuel at the Dolphin, and flatbread pizza at Swan Reserve. Today was a day for exploring places we ordinarily would not go to, ha ha. There is always ice cream to go at Beaches & Cream, or walk-up reservations (I just saw that it listed "Join the Walk Up List.") What kind of food are they looking for? We picked up a gluten free pizza yesterday afternoon at the Pizza Window.
Slight derailment, how was their gluten free pizza? DH has celiac and our upcoming trip is the first with him diagnosed!

She's all set now. Apparently, my niece does not want to leave the room and walk around (the teen years on approach), so Marketplace it is. As long as they are safe, I am happy and keeping my opinions to myself. There's a first time for everything 🤣 !

She's all set now. Apparently, my niece does not want to leave the room and walk around (the teen years on approach), so Marketplace it is. As long as they are safe, I am happy and keeping my opinions to myself. There's a first time for everything 🤣 !
This is bringing me back so many memories of when I took my baby cousin at that age, bless. I’m glad they’re okay though.

My daughters kept track of how long they waited for rides yesterday

Pirates - 1 minute
Tiana - 10 minutes
Big Thunder - 2 minutes
Haunted Mansion - 0 minutes
Peter Pan - 18 minutes
Small World - 0 minutes
Tron - 10 minutes
Space Mountain - 2 minutes
Buzz Lightyear - 0 minutes
Winnie the Pooh - 0 minutes
Little Mermaid - 0 minutes

Argh...so bummed to hear Beaches n Cream was opened today (well good for you all.) We had a reservation and I have a car, but I couldn't get any info on if was open and it sounded like only ride out team type things were open. I tried our front desk and the chat, but neither knew (front desk said probably not.) I actually drove off property (almost never do that), but still pretty limited options.

Slight derailment, how was their gluten free pizza? DH has celiac and our upcoming trip is the first with him diagnosed!
My DD (25) liked it! She has had it from there before. We walked over in the pouring rain yesterday after eating a late lunch at Beaches & Cream at 2:30. No one was walking over to the Boardwalk at 3:45, and there was just one person leaving that area when we got there. Full staff at the ice cream/milkshake place, and zero customers. They said they would be open until 10:00 PM. We were surprised that the Pizza Window was open. DH got a deli sandwich nearby. We were set for shelter in place at 8:00 PM last night with food after I walked over to The Market at Ale & Compass to grab a garden salad (Marketplace was all out of salads).

Argh...so bummed to hear Beaches n Cream was opened today (well good for you all.) We had a reservation and I have a car, but I couldn't get any info on if was open and it sounded like only ride out team type things were open. I tried our front desk and the chat, but neither knew (front desk said probably not.) I actually drove off property (almost never do that), but still pretty limited options.
Oh! Maybe you can snag another reservation! It seems like all of the resort dining options are open at YC/BC and most are open at the Boardwalk.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest