Keeping an eye on Tropical Weather 2024

I’m fully in the wait and see camp. Supposed to (using that phrase with all its unknown emphasis!) arrive at MCO late Friday night for VGF. Will Disney allow for same-day cancellations of the hotel reservation if the airport is still closed?

I’m hoping to wait until Friday morning for a clearer impact assessment and guidance of the reopening timeline for MCO and the parks.

Yesterday morning, I woke up at 3:30am knowing that I had to leave. I had a bag packed with a couple changes of clothing.

Traffic in Florida at that time was heavy but moving. I drove to Virginia. Past at least a hundred linesmen heading south. My husband worked yesterday and is supposed to work Thursday, the joy of healthcare.

Was 53 degrees here in Virginia when I arrived last night. Taking advantage of that now. As I don’t know if I’ll come home to air conditioning or not. Praying no damage at home. And that our grand Oaks in the yard remain standing.

I’m fully in the wait and see camp. Supposed to (using that phrase with all its unknown emphasis!) arrive at MCO late Friday night for VGF. Will Disney allow for same-day cancellations of the hotel reservation if the airport is still closed?

I’m hoping to wait until Friday morning for a clearer impact assessment and guidance of the reopening timeline for MCO and the parks.
The cast member I spoke with yesterday said you could cancel same day without penalty.

Rode out Ian at the Wilderness Lodge. Disney had activities for the kids, movies in Artist Point, and characters. And PLEASE treat the CM’s kindly. They are as “stuck” as you are. I ran into a woman in the laundry room who was out of her mind ranting
Hey @Belle1962! We were there at the same time, also in CL. We must've run into each other. :wave2: The cast members were so kind, and I'm horrified for whoever had to deal with that lady losing her mind. We enjoyed getting to talk to the CM's on the ride-it-out crew and also waving hello in the halls as some were staying on our floor.

For those at Disney for their first ride out: The weather just after a hurricane is always beautiful as the high pressure system follows the low. However, don't get lulled by the calm weather if the "eye" of the storm system passes by. It will seem as if the storm is over, but it's just a moment and the winds will pick up on the backside of the storm. it'll pick up debris, etc if the winds are high enough. The other major danger in going out during the "eye" is it might be hard to see exposed nails, power lines, hazardous debris underneath other layers.

Another thing we learned from prior Disney ride outs is that food lines can get long, and it was little to-go boxes. Having non-perishable proteins for 3-4 days in the room will help give your family options not to have to be in a long line for the to-go boxes. If it's safe to fill the bathtub (not risking a tiny tot falling in) then keeping the bathtub with water helps for options to portion out for: teeth cleaning, toilet flushing, fill bowls for dishware/person cleaning, etc. I don't think Disney ever went to a boil water advisory in the past, but having accessible potable water helped during shelter-in-place timeframes.

Big hugs to all y'all whether evacuating or riding out!

We arrived late Friday night for eight nights. Staying at BCV and hoping that we aren't in lockdown all day Thursday because BCV is not connected to BC. Guest Relations told me that I could get refunded for 3 days of our 7-day park hopper if we don't end up using them.
Note that the last 3 days are worth about $20. apiece, namely your refund would be the price of a 7 day ticket minus the price of a 4 day ticket.

YMMV but often Disney has, upon request, allowed you to use up the rest of the ticket at a later date not too far off, like within 2 years. Lke letting you come back and finish the vacation that was so rudely interrupted by Milton. Now you would not get the room or dining discounts you have now but cou would get discounts in effect when you rebooked for the future. (You would not be allowed to add days to that ticket.)

If it's safe to fill the bathtub (not risking a tiny tot falling in) then keeping the bathtub with water helps for options to portion out for: teeth cleaning, toilet flushing, fill bowls for dishware/person cleaning, etc. I don't think Disney ever went to a boil water advisory in the past, but having accessible potable water helped during shelter-in-place timeframes.
The bathtub is not a sanitary place to hold water unless it was scrubbed with bleach or alcohol or other sterilizing agent just prior. Also the drain plug sometimes leaks and you might not notice until you wake up the next morning and find all the water gone..

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest