Keeping an eye on Tropical Weather 2024

I zoomed in to the track on the 11 am advisory:

1728400339871.png

Looks like the official track is just south of WDW by maybe about 15-20 miles. It is still forecast to be a category 2 hurricane (100 mph) at that time.

I ended up switching my flight to fly in Friday night into Palm Beach Airport. Then I have to drive 2.5 hours after a long travel to Saphire Falls Resort. It was the only way I get get there for our trip.

I ended up switching my flight to fly in Friday night into Palm Beach Airport. Then I have to drive 2.5 hours after a long travel to Saphire Falls Resort. It was the only way I get get there for our trip.

It's an easy drive. I have done it. Just make sure you fill up with gas down there incase there is no gas in the central Florida area. Gonna depend on the roads around the central florida area after the storm

I was due to arrive on Thursday and was able to change resort for arrival on Sat and get airline change made. I'm on hold now to see if possible to change MNSSHP tickets from Thursday to next week - fingers crossed.
I'm at a loss how to handle the park reservations and LLMP and LLSP. Will I lose those if I change the park reservation to another day?

I zoomed in to the track on the 11 am advisory:

View attachment 901696

Looks like the official track is just south of WDW by maybe about 15-20 miles. It is still forecast to be a category 2 hurricane (100 mph) at that time.
Being that close to the eye means WDW will be in the worst of the weather as it passes by. I don’t expect they will have a lot of structural damage to buildings, but they will have debris and fallen trees to deal with. Falling trees can cause damage if they hit buildings, so any resort buildings that are closely surrounded by trees, such as WL and FW, could sustain damage where someplace like AKL might not.

So my best guess is no less than an early closure for Wednesday because everything needs to be secured. Closed Thursday. No less than a late opening on Friday, depending on debris cleanup. It may be that they stagger the reopening of the parks. I recall AK opening later than the other parks at least once, due to additional debris cleanup. We also need to remember that CMs may not be able to get to work, and the ride out crews are not large enough to support a full opening on Friday. I would expect at least 95% open property wide by Sunday morning. They are good at recovery.

My neighborhood will have similar weather. My home is concrete block, reinforced and poured solid with concrete. I do not feel safe there for this storm, so I evacuated out of state. I just hope I have a house to return to. Stay safe everyone!

SeaWorld Orlando remains OPEN on Tuesday, October 8th. We will be CLOSED on Wednesday, October 9th and Thursday, October 10th. Please check our social media for updates regarding park opening on Friday, October 11th.

I'm at a loss how to handle the park reservations and LLMP and LLSP. Will I lose those if I change the park reservation to another day?
No anything you already have booked as far as LLMP and/or LLSP they are fine.

If you change your park reservation (only required for AP or non-dated tickets) they don't change or impact your existing selections. Just which park you enter first on a particular day. Now if you want to modify your LLMP and/or LLSP selections to a different park you can do that at any time before you enter the Park where your LLMP and/or LLSP selections were made.

What scheduling changes might you be considering for your Park days?

Good luck on your MNSSHP move to next week. It will be easy to get a refund for Thursday. It should be automatic when the Park is closed but the MNSSHP nights are sold out for next week.

Dave

There is also Brightline to MCO if service resumes.

HURRICANE MILTON UPDATE: LEGOLAND Florida will be closed on Wednesday, October 9 – Thursday, October 10. Hotel operations continue with limited capacity.

Rode out Ian at the Wilderness Lodge. Disney had activities for the kids, movies in Artist Point, and characters. And PLEASE treat the CM’s kindly. They are as “stuck” as you are. I ran into a woman in the laundry room who was out of her mind ranting that Disney was making them change hotels to a “lesser” property. When she found out (through me not realizing this would really really set the lunatic off) that some of the rooms were for CM ride out crew she really lost it-I mean medication needed lost it. And flew off to confront the front desk staff. What she didn’t know was that they were putting 4 CM’s in a room whether they knew each other or not. Hi Mary meet Sally you’re sharing a bed for the next several days. Heck we were concierge and lost our room to a CM (we kept access to the Club but were moved a few floors down). So please be kind.

BTW check out the gift shop-not fully advertised but all games were on sale. Maybe Disney Springs will have “sales”. Who know🤷‍♀️

The storm is strengthening again after dropping down to a CAT 4. Pressure is dropping, temps are rising, and the wall eye is becoming more defined. This is not good. These are all signs that the storm is getting stronger again. The stronger it gets now, the higher it will be upon making landfall. Yes, it will weaken due to wind sheers, but that will only be a specific amount. So if it starts stronger, then it will stay stronger through that.

The storm is strengthening again after dropping down to a CAT 4. Pressure is dropping, temps are rising, and the wall eye is becoming more defined. This is not good. These are all signs that the storm is getting stronger again. The stronger it gets now, the higher it will be upon making landfall. Yes, it will weaken due to wind sheers, but that will only be a specific amount. So if it starts stronger, then it will stay stronger through that.
Anyone else driving to WDW on Friday? We’re supposed to be driving from Pensacola. I’m concerned about the gas situation. Wondering if there will be gas on Friday along the I10 & I75 corridors. Don’t know if we should cancel or what???

No anything you already have booked as far as LLMP and/or LLSP they are fine.

If you change your park reservation (only required for AP or non-dated tickets) they don't change or impact your existing selections. Just which park you enter first on a particular day. Now if you want to modify your LLMP and/or LLSP selections to a different park you can do that at any time before you enter the Park where your LLMP and/or LLSP selections were made.

What scheduling changes might you be considering for your Park days?

Good luck on your MNSSHP move to next week. It will be easy to get a refund for Thursday. It should be automatic when the Park is closed but the MNSSHP nights are sold out for next week.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Pixie dust was flowing today. I was able to switch MNSSHP from Thursday night to Monday night. CM told me there have been a lot of cancellations. If anyone is looking, call but expect to have a long wait.
She was also able to switch my park days from this week to next week and schedule all the LLSP and LLMP for me with no extra charge.

I would fill up when you felt it was closet. And then maybe again if you made it further. Maybe even buy a gas cap lock, depending on where you are gonna be parking. But I am incredibly paranoid.

The storm is strengthening again after dropping down to a CAT 4. Pressure is dropping, temps are rising, and the wall eye is becoming more defined. This is not good. These are all signs that the storm is getting stronger again.
This was expected as it went through an eyewall replacement cycle late yesterday. That typically causes a temporary weakening and strengthening in the next 12-18 hours. They are still predicting sheer to lessen the strength before landfall, but this will still be a huge impact for Sarasota. Hopefully those predictions are accurate. I have several friends on the coast that evacuated this morning and don't know if they will have anything to return to.

Right now, they are saying the strongest winds are 10-15 miles out from the eyewall and drop considerably beyond that. If the track stays south of WDW this hopefully means weak Cat 1 winds only for WDW. The latest alert (11am) for Kissimmee from the National Weather Service is predicting 60-80 mph sustained winds. "Orlando" is slightly less.

1728409251279.png

j

Is anyone else scheduled to get to WDW in the next few days? We're scheduled to fly in mid-day on Thursday (I think there's a good chance that won't happen as planned). We talked about trying to push our plans back a couple days, but then we would get into the issue of trying to add a couple days at the other end. At least we weren't planning to hit the parks until Friday afternoon (Animal Kingdom). As of now, we're still thinking we'll head out Thursday morning, fly as far as Austin, TX, where we change to the plane that supposedly going to take us to WDW. Anyone else?

Is anyone else scheduled to get to WDW in the next few days? We're scheduled to fly in mid-day on Thursday (I think there's a good chance that won't happen as planned). We talked about trying to push our plans back a couple days, but then we would get into the issue of trying to add a couple days at the other end. At least we weren't planning to hit the parks until Friday afternoon (Animal Kingdom). As of now, we're still thinking we'll head out Thursday morning, fly as far as Austin, TX, where we change to the plane that supposedly going to take us to WDW. Anyone else?

We are supposed to land at MCO at 11PM on Friday. Likely going to just cancel and head to DL or skip the vacation.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest