Keepin' the Magic, Keepin' the Magic...An August 2014 trip report!

You guys got a lot done, and with a break in between, gives me hope for the new system. I've heard such awful things it's put some fear in me.

Good for your son for standing up to that terrible woman! And there is Disney jail, but something tells me it isn't intended for rude individuals who push around young children... Although it ought to be.

You guys got a lot done, and with a break in between, gives me hope for the new system. I've heard such awful things it's put some fear in me.

We did get a lot done! We even had a pretty long meet with Gaston in there that I forgot to mention...after meeting Ariel and before our FP for mine train.

I know some people have really been trashing the new system, but I think it's genius. It really could not have worked better for us.

I was a fan of old fast pass in general. I liked that I could pull one and guarantee a quicker line trip through a ride. That's great, in theory.

But...you couldn't guarantee what time it would be for. That is not very efficient, in my opinion. I hated feeling "trapped" by the time on the paper.
I know how we want to tour each park, and setting up the fast passes to sync up to that was great. With the hour window, you have a lot of flexibility.

I know there will always be detractors, and that's ok! Not everyone has to like everything. But we are certainly fans, and we always had plenty to choose from when we went back for more. In fact, we only used more than three when we were at the Magic Kingdom. Changing them wasn't hard. I made a few changes and it was relatively simple.

I think if you know about the new system, and are prepared for the worst but hoping for the best, you will have a great time with it! It's all about the attitude, I think :)

So we had just finished a very long day at the Magic Kingdom, and passed out cold.

The joke was on us though, we had to be up early for a very special morning! We had somewhere totally awesome to be:

It was time for breakfast at 'Ohana, the one place my boys requested, because they wanted to meet Stitch (we didn't know they'd get the special one on one meet and greet the previous day!!), and we knew this was the place to guarantee that happening!

Our reservation was at 8:00am, so before the new monorail schedule, my plan was to take the ferry to the Contemporary and ride the monorail to the Polynesian. I was a little worried about how we'd manage with the amended schedule, but I had faith that Disney would take care of us.

It was suggested to us by the CM at check in to ask the Magic Kingdom bus driver to drop us off on the way. So we asked, and he said no, but if we went with him to the Magic Kingdom there would be a bus for us to the Poly. I was nervous to say the least, but I knew we'd get there one way or another, even if we had to call a cab.

We boarded the bus, disembarked, and got into the line he pointed out to us. By line I mean...totally empty place with no other people around. I was still nervous, but I knew I had allowed us plenty of time. It was 7:13 at this point, we were ok. Soon, others filled in the line behind us. Hope!! And sure enough, before much longer we were on our way to the Polynesian (after a stop at the Contemporary, where we were greeted by no one. Totally empty bus stop).

We got upstairs and checked in early, about 7:30. We were seated quickly, there were hardly any other people in there besides us.

I did not take food pictures I guess...I found one of half-eaten bread, but I didn't think you'd want to see that!

Our friendly cousin took us to our table with a basket of the yummy pineapple bread and a cinnamon roll/raisin bread thing. Youngest DS, aka the King of Carbs, was allll over that! The pineapple bread was so yummy, I loved it!

Then our server came out and gave us our crack...er, I mean, Stitch juice (Disney POG juice)

I don't even know how much of this stuff we went through. I think at one point she just left the carafe. What can I say?

First to arrive at our table was Stitch!! He had a photopass photographer with him, so after a scan of our band, they were with our other Memory Maker photos. We took a few ourselves:

Next was Lilo. She was so cute!

Then Mickey, who was kind of a disappointment. He was the only rushed character, and I even saw him pull out of a hug from the kid at the table near us. Chill Mickey, don't be a Mouseketool!

Last was Pluto and he was GRRREAT!!

We enjoyed the food here. You are served family style on a skillet/platter thing that has scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage (yummy! and i don't usually eat sausage!), potatoes and Mickey waffles. What is it about Mickey waffles that are so darn good?? The don't taste like regular waffles, they taste like Disney perfection!

You can ask for more of anything you want, but we were good after one platter. We didn't want to gorge and make ourselves sick.

I might not have mentioned it yet, but all three of my guys were celebrating birthdays this trip. L and DH had bdays in July, and X would be celebrating his ACTUAL birthday on 8/8. They got many, many, many "happy birthdays" from the CMs, and this morning they scored free cupcakes and a birthday song from our 'Ohana server:

Overall, we enjoyed this meal, and I think I would book it again. I'd only ever had dinner here previously and didn't know what to expect, but we liked it!

After breakfast we went out to catch the monorail for Epcot.
Monorail selfie!!

We got there right after the opening and forged ahead. We stopped for some photopass pictures and wandered. We happened to pass the Character Spot with no wait, so we stopped in and met Mickey (who was MUCH better than breakfast Mickey), Goofy (who was phenomenal) and Minnie (who was sweet and charming). All of these pictures are on our Memory Maker, so they'll be shared later.

L asked the CMs where to find Chip and Dale, as they were priority number one for him today. Luckily they were meeting right around the corner. We have several photopass pics of this meet, but I snagged a couple, too! I did not cry, if you can believe that!

After this, I put the phone down and lay off the pictures. I am happy to report that I did not "live through the lens" this day, but a little sad I didn't get pictures of many of the things we did!

We'd had a great time with our animal friends, but it was time to get moving! We started by heading to our first FP+ of the day, Soarin', with a return time of 10:05-11:05am. I had never ridden Soarin' before, and was excited to see what the hype was all about. Unfortunately, after riding it, I still don't see what the hype IS all about. We all agreed we'd rather just go see an Imax movie (and after World Showcase, we agreed we'd just as soon watch Impressions de France or Reflections of China)

So good news Soarin' lovers! There will be four less fast passes being picked the next time we head to the world.

After Soarin' we learned how to Live with the Land, visited Nemo and his friends

then crossed the park for our next FP for Mission Space (return time of 11:30 -12:30). I rode the green side with X (he was afraid of getting sick) and DH and L rode the orange side.

The green side was much less crowded, so we finished before they did and went to the training lab and were part of the team up top at that little matching game thing they have in there. We thought that was pretty awesome!

We were already dragging at this point, so I suggested heading toward the World Showcase. I always start with Mexico, but we decided to mix it up and start with Canada...but first we stopped for a Cronut at the Refreshment Port.

Try the Cronut!! It's so good! We got one to share, but next time we will each get our own!!

This duck was hovering around and begging with about 5 or 6 of his buddies

First stop, Canada:

Second stop, England:

Then France:

where we saw Serveur Amusant

His act is great, but it stresses me out! We decided to de-stress with Las Hallas!! DH, X, and I chose the ham and cheese croissant (which I have pics of but they're boring), and L chose the winner of the day: the chocolate tart:

It doesn't look like much, but it was mouthwatering. So buttery and so delicious. Please try this!!

We were really winding down now, but X had been so patient, waiting to get to Japan and Mitsukoshi. He was thrilled!

We were beyond done by now, it was time to head back to the resort. We caught the Friendship boat in Germany and made our way to the bus stop, skipping our 3rd FP for Spaceship Earth.

The plan was to swim, rest, and return...but that's not exactly what happened. DH took the kids to the pool so i could take a nap, but the pool closed due to lightning in the area. A storm was rolling in. It poured and poured for hours. We decided to just hang out at the resort that night. DH and the kids went down to the arcade and I took a shower and relaxed. Later we had dinner at Roaring Forks again.

I had that roast beef and blue cheese sandwich I raved about earlier, DH had the pulled pork sandwich (which was good, but nothing special), and both boys had the pepperoni flatbread. We also got a vanilla cupcake (good, but just your average vanilla cupcake - grocery store-ish) and a s'mores cupcake. Holy Amazingness, Batman! The S'mores cupcake was really, really good!! I wholeheartedly recommend it...and I only had a couple bites, b/c I was shoveling in my sprinkled sugar cookie (remember, I mentioned that they became my obsession during the trip! I need to recreate them!!).

Then it was upstairs to relax on my balcony and watch the rain:

Chapter 5 coming up tomorrow!! It's oldest DS's 11th birthday on this day, and we have a great time!

I am loving all the updates. I am trying to make a list of all the food I want to try and the cupcakes you mention. We went to BOG lunch last year and all of us, except my son had the turkey sandwich thing and he had the pork. We all drooled as he ate every single bite. So, we are going back and trying the pork!

You aren't alone. We don't get the Soarin' fascination either. :confused3 Not sure why so many insist on riding it. Oh well, more fast passes for them to ride.

My kids had the same expression as your son in the Japan shop. We spent 2 hours (maybe over 2 hours) there. J found what he wanted quickly, but M took forever! C had already spent her money.

Sorry that it seemed Mickey was rushed when you went to Ohana. Glad that the Character Spot made up for it.

Hope you have a great week.

My DD screamed in excitement when she saw your pictures. Pokemon is her obsession - she HAS to go to Japan now :rotfl2: She's 6, you don't mess with the 6 yr old! :lmao:

I don't know if she'll be able to narrow it down to one item though. I see a lesson in economics and budgeting in her future.

I'm August FB buddy following your TR--I <3 it!! and I have declared "Mousekatool" my new favorite word!:lmao:

penny

Good morning, and welcome back!!

We were up early and raring to go on this day, because it was a special day!!

THIS guy

was turning 11!!

This calls for celebration in the form of

a family bus selfie!!

We were headed here

for Jedi Academy sign ups. They began letting us in around 8:45, and everyone was directed toward the direction they were wanting to go: Jedis, Frozen, and Toy Story. Once we got in front of the stage, we had to wait for the (literal) rope to be dropped, and we followed the group walking toward Jedi Academy.

We had a lunch ADR on this day for 11:00am, so I was hoping for the 12:40 show, and the pixie dust was on our side, because we were able to pick whatever time we wanted, so we scored our first choice.

Signing up was relatively painless. We decided to walk on Star Tours and say hi to R2

After that it was time to cross the park for our Toy Story Midway Mania Fast Pass (return time of 9:25-10:25).

We loved this ride!! I actually think I wouldn't mind waiting standby for it, just so I'd have some time in the line to look at everything! After this, L forgot to drop his 3d glasses in the bin, so we handed them to a nice CM at a sales kiosk. He acted like it happens quite frequently, so I didn't feel so bad! Then we found a photopass photographer taking magic shots. She gave us terrible directions, and we ended up looking totally wrong in the pictures. It's kind of hilarious. (I'll share those later!)

We began making our way back across the park, and decided to stop and do the Great Movie Ride. At this point it was 10am, and the wait was posted as 20 minutes. The ride is 22 minutes long, so we had just enough time to squeak it in before our ADR at Sci-Fi.

The wait seemed like it took FOREVER. I knew SciFi would let us in if we were a few minutes late, but I CANNOT stand to be late. If I'm 5 minutes early, I still feel late, so I was beginning to panic. We got to the front of the queue at 10:35, and they CLOSED THE DOORS. I was about to just get out of line, and then they reopened the doors and let another group through. Thank goodness!

While riding, we were hijacked by a cowboy:

We finished just in time, and I basically dragged my family along the streets to SciFi, where we arrived right at 11:00 to check in.

We had the BEST server here. I believe her name was Hafida, but I can't quite remember. DH asked if I wanted him to take a picture of the receipt, and I said no, because the name was unique enough that I didn't think I'd forget. Oops.

Here's L, taking in the film:

X liked it too:

The boys sat together, so DH and I were thrilled to actually SIT BY EACH OTHER for once at a meal

My sweet little family, all together:

Birthday surprise!!

This was one of my favorite meals of the trip. I had the salmon BLT and it was truly fabulous. I want one right now! X had the picnic burger, L had the kids burger, and DH had a burger, too. Everyone loved their food except DH, who said his burger was "just ok". I would rave all day about my salmon BLT though!!
It was right around noon now, so we decided to just go ahead and check in early for Jedi Academy (they ask you to be there 30 minutes early, so we had 10 minutes of extra air-conditioning. We'd need it, it was BOILING out where they do the JA show).

Soon, it was time for the younglings to learn from their master and fight the Dark Side!!

This was such a great experience!! I loved it, DH loved it, the boys loved it!! I adored watching all of the kids up there. The sweetest little girl EVER was in our group, and when it was her turn, Darth Vader asked if she would join him. She had the most fierce, serious look on her face, stared him down and whispered "Never." So cute!!

We walked on Star Tours again when we were finished and did some shopping in Tatooine Traders. It's one of our favorite shops.

Since we'd ridden Star Tours twice, and skipped our Fast Pass for it (there was no need to use it), we decided to change our Tower of Terror Fast Pass to one for the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. When we got to the line I couldn't believe how long it was. They didn't let us in until exactly at 1:35, and they didn't even have anyone scan their bands, they just let us all in.

I'm glad we watched the show, the boys really liked it. They didn't do the boulder part though, and I was sad about that.

We headed out of the park when the show was over. The boys wanted to hit the pool!

We made our way to the bus stop, and we could see the bus there so we ran for it. We got right to it, and the driver LOOKED RIGHT AT ME, closed the door and drove away. I was literally 2 feet away from getting on the bus. I was so mad!! This was the only bad bus experience we had the whole week. And no, the bus was not full. There were maybe 6 or 7 people on it.

When the bus came back around, the driver got off and switched out with a new driver. I guess he was in too much of a hurry to get off his shift, he couldn't wait the 10 seconds it would have taken for us to get on the bus. Harrumph.

Oh well, life goes on!! Keepin' the magic, keepin' the magic.....

We had a nice time swimming, then went to the Magic Kingdom to finish off our day.

I'll tell you all about that later!

Chapter 5 Part 2 coming soon!!!

I'm surprised to see that you got the cowboy scene in the great movie ride? I thought they must not do it anymore cause we always got the same old gangster scene! I like the cowboy one with the fire my boys have never seen it and they have rode that ride dozens of times! I hoe we get it next week! Fingers crossed I wanna see fire lol

I'm surprised to see that you got the cowboy scene in the great movie ride? I thought they must not do it anymore cause we always got the same old gangster scene! I like the cowboy one with the fire my boys have never seen it and they have rode that ride dozens of times! I hoe we get it next week! Fingers crossed I wanna see fire lol

I recently read you can ask the CM who loads the trains which scene will take place on your tour... That way you're guaranteed a cowboy adventure!

I told the boys and DH that we got super lucky to have the cowboy! I've only ever seen it with the gangster. I was pretty excited!!

I'll send you some of our pixie dust in hope that you get to see it too!!

Maybe it's the sheer number of times I've ridden, but I've had both the cowboy and gangster scene almost as often as each other. Though this trip we won't be ridding. With a little guy I'm concerned we'd scare him. I really don't want to scare anyone!

I'm really enjoying reading how much you get done each day. This is one of our shorter trips and I want to do so much. It's so difficult for me to choose which attractions we won't see. :crazy2:

I recently read you can ask the CM who loads the trains which scene will take place on your tour... That way you're guaranteed a cowboy adventure!
Thanks cause it's def my fav scene and haven't seen it in years!! Will def try to ask when we board!

Yes you can do this:thumbsup2 Did it on our Feb. trip as youngest DS didn't remember the cowboy scenario (it had been a couple years since we'd got that one). The "clue" is, the 2nd set of cars/train will be the cowboy one. If you want to, you can tell the CM you'd like to see that one and ask to wait. Because our Feb. trip was technically during a "slow" time, they were only loading one set of cars at a time so we had to wait a few extra minutes, but if late Aug. is still considered busier they may be loading both sets of cars at the same time so you could still load as soon as its your turn.

I suppose some days they may only do one scene, but its definitely worth asking! Got that handy tip here on the boards:goodvibes

X had spent a fun first part of his 11th birthday at Hollywood Studios, and after a break at the pool, the boys decided they wanted to spend the evening at the Magic Kingdom and try out the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game.

Whatever they want! It's a birthday celebration after all!!

Here's two of my guys on the ferry ride over...how sweet is this??

While they were picking up their card packs and learning the ropes, the Move it, Shake it parade rolled past:

Then the boys started on their mission to save the Magic Kingdom from those nasty villains. Here they are at one of the portals:

Full disclosure...I hated this game. It took us round and round all over, hither and yon, and I found it annoying. Sometimes the cards and/or portal would not work correctly. We weren't the only family having issues, and we met several frustrated people, including this one gentleman who must have been a hard core player, b/c he had his cards organized in a binder. The boys thought it was pretty neat though, so I see more of this happening on future visits.

While they were playing, we took the opportunity to shop for awhile in the stores it brought us to (well played, Disney!) and I also got to take a few pictures!

Eventually we all decided we were hungry, and X chose Columbia Harbour House for dinner again. No one complained!!

We started heading that way with a pause for some photopass pictures, and some of my own.

Here they are, still obsessing over their cards:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but on our first MK day, I had tried and failed to meet Tiana THREE TIMES. The line had always just been cut off. I was so upset, as my two main requests for meet and greets were Tiana and Snow White, because they are my two favorites.

When we got to Liberty Square, I wanted to check and see what the next meeting time would be. Turns out the line was forming and she AND NAVEEN would be out in 10 minutes. My family is amazing, because even though we were all starving to the point of almost being cranky, they told me to get in line, that they would willingly wait. I was so happy!!

We met a nice woman in line with her teenaged daughter and enjoyed talking to them while we waited. They might have thought I was nuts for being so excited about this meet and greet, but the daughter and I bonded over her autograph book. The girl was getting ready to start her first year of high school, so if they happen to see this, I hope the first day went great!!! They were both a lot of fun.

It was finally my turn, and X decided to join me. He was wearing a Kermit the frog shirt, and Naveen pointed it out to Tiana. She bent over and puckered her lips like she was going to kiss it, and Naveen said, "Now, now Tiana...we don't want you to have another of your little...incidents." So cute.

They were both fabulously in character and besides Gaston, this was the best character interaction I've ever had. They were so amazing! DH and I had our honeymoon in New Orleans, so we talked about that, and how I'd been trying to meet her ALL DAY two days before, and they were really just so great. I can't say enough good things about the pair of them!

I'm sad this picture isn't so great, I think we got a few better ones from the photopass photographer. I am not sure what we're talking about here:

After this we had dinner: fish platters, more vegetarian chili for X, and we tried the clam chowder. Gosh we love this place!

I wanted to go visit the kingdom of Corona, aka The Rapunzel Bathrooms, so we did. While we were here we got some GREAT magic shots and photopass pictures in front of the tower/waterfall. These pictures are NOT those:

This area is so pretty!!

As you can tell from the sky, storm clouds were gathering. We blamed the boys for this and punished them:

We let the kids take the lead and ended up just wandering around Adventureland again, so we took our picture for my August FB group:

It was starting to get dark and the wind was really whipping around...you could hear thunder in the distance. I said, "wouldn't it be fun to ride the Haunted Mansion with it dark and the weather like this??"

The suggestion was met with a resounding "YES!!!!!!!!!!!", so we went to the FP kiosk and got an immediate return time, and headed over to Gracey Manor. It was awesome.

The boys were ready to go back to the resort, so we started toward the front of the park and got TRAPPED by the crowd for the electrical light parade. I now hate this parade. What followed was one of the most miserable Disney experiences ever, although we tried to make light of it and laugh it off.

Everyone was literally packed in like sardines and unable to move an inch. That didn't stop people from trying to squeeze or in some cases, plow right through with a stroller, running over people's feet and even small children. People were shouting and swearing and shoving...it was pretty bad. But we just stood still and stuck it out.

Finally we were able to leave. We got back to the resort and watched Wishes from our room. Behold the terrible proof:

So that's how X spent his birthday, and overall it was a lot of fun!

The next day we were ready to explore the Animal Kingdom, and I'll tell you all about that in Chapter Six.

Thanks for joining us this far :lovestruc

Wecome back!!

This post takes us back to Saturday, August 9th, our Animal Kingdom day!!

I love Animal Kingdom. Love, love, LOVE it. We only got to spend one partial day here, which makes me sad. But it was hot. Boo. We've considered staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the sole fact that it's super close and we'd spend more time at AK by default. Maybe someday...we really love Wilderness Lodge.

We started our morning on the safari:

I like to do the safari first thing in the morning. We saw zero giraffes, which makes me sad. It was hard to take pictures with the bumping around, and most of mine were blurry, but I got a few!

Sleeping lion:

After the safari, we had some breakfast at Kusafiri Bakery. No cupcakes until 11:00. This fact nearly broke my heart. Instead the boys shared a huge cinnamon roll and DH and I each had a breakfast wrap. It was pretty good, stuffed with eggs, spinach, feta, and some kind of meatish thing. Sausage maybe??

I think it was the heat, but I got really sick feeling after we ate. Like, I actually thought I was going to lose it on the walkway. Yuck. Luckily it was a short lived bout of the icks, and nothing bad came of it!

I needed the peacefulness of the Tree of Life!

We wandered slowly toward Asia and our date with the Yeti!!

(Please channel your inner Sheldon for the next photo caption)

"Heading to Asia while I play my bongos" :

We're coming your way Mr. Yeti!!

The coolest ice cream truck on the planet:

Soon...it was time!

I would totally stay at the Dancing Yeti Inn

Respect the Power of the Yeti!!

We survived our trek up the mountain, posed for a few photopass pictures and got some cute magic shots. The kids vetoed Nemo, so we made our way here:

We took a trip back in time, then wandered around here:

We rode Primeval Whirl standby, walked on the Triceratops Spin (well, the boys and I did. DH sat that out and went to find something to drink.)

Then we shopped!

Ewok on my back! (I love Wicket. I have a little lego Wicket on my key ring)

I totally should have got this hat:

Chewbacca Forever!!

We walked back toward Asia because we had a FP for Kali coming up. We stopped for lunch at the Yak and Yeti counter service. The servings are so HUGE there. DH got the sweet and sour chicken, X and I shared the beef lo mein (and there was still leftovers), and L had the kids burger. While L and DH were in line for the food, X and I went across the way to the Royal Anandapur Tea Company, which is one of my favorite little stops in the park. The kids got frozen lemonade (which is pretty decent) but DH and I had my faaaaaavorite thing (maybe even ahead of dole whip floats, which is saying something), The Frozen Chai:

These are perfection.

The clouds looked pretty threatening and a few sprinkles fell, but no downpour. It didn't matter anyway, it was time to ride the rapids!

X insisted on wearing his poncho. We made fun of him.

We got stopped on this ride, right before the main drop. Several rafts built up behind us. They were playing the announcement thing over the speakers, but we couldn't hear it because we were right there by the rushing water. I still have no idea why it stopped and we got so backed up.

It finally started back up, and we got a little wet, but not soaked!

Has the ride gotten shorter?? I swear it used to feel longer. I would be really mad if I stood in line for an hour and all I got was THAT. We'll use FP+ for this on hot days, but otherwise I think we'll skip it.

I talked everyone into the Majarajah Jungle Trek once we got off the ride.

I told them to point at the sign and look scared.

This is what I got:

It might be one of my favorite photos from the trip, LOL!!

Prayer flags, aka, the thing I took more pictures of than anything else the whole trip:

And finally, what we all came down the trail for:

Tigers!!

This was the last attraction for us here. Boo. I would insert a string of sad faced emojis here, but I've used up my number of pictures for this post. So envision a sea of sad faces here please.

On the way out I told DH I wanted samosas, and that they were at Mr. Kamal's between Asia and Africa. He took the road toward Discovery Island, and I got huffy and sulky like a giant bratty baby. When he asked what was wrong, I got tears in my eyes and said, "You go STRAIGHT to get to my samosas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I won't get them!"

Now, he does not know his way around Animal Kingdom. This was not his fault. I should have spoken up. Instead I felt the need to be a brat. *sigh* He said, "I'm sorry! let's go back!" He was genuinely sorry. He didn't need to be sorry, he didn't do anything wrong!! But I said, "no, it's fine." and marched forward.

It was one of those moments where you KNOW you are being a witch, you feel bad about it, but you do it anyway. Please tell me I am not the only one who has these moments!!

I felt so bad about this.

I apologized, told him I knew I was being a jerk...I was hot and tired, which is no excuse. I was thinking about how our trip was almost over, and I was emotional...trying not to cry, still feeling a little sick from the morning. It was just a bad 5 minutes, you know??

I pulled myself together and we stopped in the shops along the way and found a couple of treasures to take home.

My mood improved, and we took the bus back to the Lodge.

I'm over my picture limit for this post, so be on the lookout for a short update about our evening.

It would be DH and the kids' first experience with 'Ohana dinner!!

Stay tuned!

We had just finished up a pretty great day at Animal Kingdom and were preparing for our BIG DINNER. I use capitals b/c anyone's who's eaten at 'Ohana knows that you get A LOT of food.

Like, a lot.

And it's yummy.

We took the ferry from Wilderness Lodge to the Contemporary, and then took the monorail from the Contemporary to the Polynesian.

X on the ferry:

Space Mountain and Cinderella Castle (plus bay lake tower)from the ferry:

I like the Contemporary, but I don't know if I could ever stay there. It's the question I ask myself every time I walk inside. It's beautiful, there's no denying that, but I don't get the cozy feeling there that I do at other resorts.

We made our way up the 35 million different sets of escalators to the monorail station

I gave us an hour to get from home to 'Ohana. We were doing ok on time, but we had to wait on the ferry and then it went to Ft. Wilderness before it went to the Contemporary, and I forgot to factor that in. When we got to the monorail gate, the CM started to close it and make us wait for the next train. My face must have totally given away my thoughts, because he looked at me and said, "Your eyes got big, and you look a little panicked...are you trying to get somewhere?" I told him we had a 6:20 reservation at 'Ohana, and he told us to go ahead and get on.

It wasn't actually very crowded and we found a car with a very nice family inside, and the boys chatted with their son about video games, and them mom told me how he wasn't excited at all about being in Disney World and she was sad. I felt bad for her, but her teenaged daughter was into it, so at least someone was having a good time!!

Soon we arrived at our destination!! I adore the Polynesian Resort, and before our breakfast a few days earlier, I was nervous to see the construction work. It's noticeable if you know what it's "supposed" to look like, but not as bad as I thought it was going to be!

We checked in and DH went to the bar to get me a drink! I had been waiting (im)patiently for this guy:

Lapu Lapu!
This is good! Very rummy, but not as strong as I was expecting. It definitely tastes like alcohol though!

I took a picture of the outside construction toward the pool while waiting to be seated:

I have very few food pictures. I'm the worst, I know :sad::sad:

Check out this face on L...he just realized he was "caught". He ate all the bread, LOL!!

DH ordered a drink before the food came, a backscratcher. It was good! It involves orange juice in some way, and comes with a souvenir back scratcher. Ha!

The meal starts with the lettuce wraps, which is basically a pile of lettuce leaves and a pile of the stuff you're supposed to fill it with, and a spoon. DH and I liked the filling stuff. Edamame and something else. It was tasty!

Next was wings and dumplings. Oooooh the dumplings. Pretty sure X and I cornered the market on these. We ordered more and she brought us a HUGE plateful of them (and we finished most of it off!!).

Then veggies and noodles (yum!). The first meat to come out was the sweet and sour pork. I didn't notice that it was particularly sweet OR sour, which worked for me b/c I'm not a sweet n sour flavor mix kinda gal. Next was the beef. O.M.Goodness. Perfectly cooked, juicy, flavorful...we all devoured it. Last meat to arrive was the shrimp, and we all went crazy on that stuff too!

The ukulele lady came out and the kids went up and participated. Here's blurry proof:

They got leis and came back to sit down. I've mentioned before that all three males were celebrating birthdays. They'd already received a few special treats while dining because of it (including sci fi, and 'ohana breakfast), and this was no exception. Our cousin brought them each a cupcake AND a brownie cup.

In this picture, X is declaring that the brownie thing is the best. thing. ever. I beg to differ, and so do DH and L...the real star is in the foreground:

BREAD PUDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is quite possibly the best food in all of Disney World. This bread pudding is worth fighting for. I would stab someone with a fork for this. Not even kidding.

We were all full and happy and in a great mood after our meal :lovestruc:

A monorail ride later, we were back at the Contemporary.

We had quite a long wait for the ferry back to Wilderness Lodge, but it was a beautiful evening. The temperature was low, the breeze was pleasant...all in all, a perfect ending to a wonderful day!

Gazing across the lake:

And the lovely Contemporary at night:

Be on the lookout for Chapter 7 (it's an Epcot day!) and thanks for hanging out with us :goodvibes

So much fun!! :cool1:

I had to tell you I TOTALLY understand the adult meltdown. It's not a pretty site (or thought for me either) but it is a reality! So don't beat yourself up too much about it; I think we all do it. ;)

I subscribed a few days ago and have been following along. I'm enjoying your TR while I wait for my own trip to get here in a little less than 15 months from now!

Wanted to say, I totally understand the feeling when you know you're being kind of sour, but do it anyway! And I'm sure my DH would say he knows it even better! ;-)

Thanks, girls :grouphug:

It's good to know I'm not alone!!

I still feel so bad when I think about it :(

I just remind myself I could have acted MUCH worse, LOL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter