• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

KA WA‘A, a luau at Aulani - ??

I just got reservations for the 12th, a Saturday. It was the only one available during our stay. I hope it's good!!! I am glad my kids got to see the Starlight Hui last year when were there, even if I could not (I was with the baby!) :D

We are doing it the same night as well. I was suprised there was only one night for our week trip. I hope my kids survive it since we get in the day before.

Thanks for the videos! How was it? I just realized I get a discount to Paradise Cove... is the Aulani luau one not to miss?

Thanks for the videos! How was it? I just realized I get a discount to Paradise Cove... is the Aulani luau one not to miss?

It's more of a storytelling, how the island came about and the story of Maui vs the sun. The employees are wonderful, such sweethearts and make you feel very welcome. The food is delicious. I have a video with a lot more on it but haven't uploaded it to my computer.

It's more of a storytelling, how the island came about and the story of Maui vs the sun. The employees are wonderful, such sweethearts and make you feel very welcome. The food is delicious. I have a video with a lot more on it but haven't uploaded it to my computer.

Did you have VIP seating or general admission?

We went last night, but have never been to a Luau before so I have nothing to compare it to.
They had activities for
The kids prior with live music as you arrive. Everyone gets a shell Lei and rum punch as they enter. They had stations for the kids to pound Poi, make flower bracelets, stamp cards and get tattoos. They dancers drew them on and I saw some adults doing this one as well. We had general seating and were back from the stage but near the middle aisle where there was a lot of action also so we felt very close to everything. Dinner was good. They had salad bar with salad, poke, lomi lomi salmon poi, and of course macaroni salad. Food bar with chicle pork and fish and carving stations with prime rib And a roasted pig. My husband felt a little rushed trough the eat process, but we were one of last groups to get food and he is slow. They had a Keikei bar at kids height with chicken fingers. Pasta and meatballs and Mickie macaroni and cheese. The show was hosted by Aunty and her brother Noah and seemed very personal To their family and local area. Aunty teared up when talking about her mother.
They dancing was beautiful and the highlight was of course the story of Maui and the sun with the fire dancers. It felt bet intimate with Auntys walking around before just chatting with everyone and all the people at the stations were friendly and sharing of themselves and their culture. Overall I wasn't blown away in anyway but very content with our experience. My husband was really impressed also and the kids loved it but would do any of kid participation parts lol. I hope
That helps people.

Thank you guys so much for the video and review so far. Keep them coming. Any real difference between VIP and general seating?

We have been to aulani 5 times and going again in May 2017. We bring two adults, 'my daughter and her friend, both disabled. They loved the Starlight Hui for the crafts, the dancing, etc. my husband liked it more than me. I refused to sit on the ground! The last couple of times the girls went on their own taking a pizza with them while we went to AMA AMA for dinner. I read the prices for the new luau somewhere and the best tables were about 130 a person with less for tables further away. I also thought there was an option to not eat but it still wasn't free. I don't think liquor was included.

Personally I don't think any luau is worth the cost but if the girls want to do it we will probably pay.

For those that went, was it worth it? Do you think you would do it again?

I wouldn't do it again. I think I had higher expectations. Definitely a few areas of improvement. Aulani has on site photographers and photo pass so I was expecting at least one picture taken with photo pass. Other luaus offer a photo at the entrance, they could've done a photo with Aunty and uncle at the entrance. Maybe have the photographers walking around and taking a picture of each family.

It's Disney and the story of Maui was being told, but neither offered a photo opportunity.

Other luaus you can gather around where they're cooking the pig, something not offered here. The pulled pork was at the buffet table already setup.

I honestly regret going with this luau vs Chiefs luau or paradise cove.

I wouldn't do it again. I think I had higher expectations. Definitely a few areas of improvement. Aulani has on site photographers and photo pass so I was expecting at least one picture taken with photo pass. Other luaus offer a photo at the entrance, they could've done a photo with Aunty and uncle at the entrance. Maybe have the photographers walking around and taking a picture of each family.

It's Disney and the story of Maui was being told, but neither offered a photo opportunity.

Other luaus you can gather around where they're cooking the pig, something not offered here. The pulled pork was at the buffet table already setup.

Boo, not sure what I we should do. I don't really care about the photography side honestly. But with a 3.5 year old and 10 month thought staying right on property would be so much easier.

But we leave in a week for Aulani so not even sure we could book something else.

There was one photopass photographer running around. He got some pictures of my kids smashing the poi. I would of liked a family photo also given we all had on our best Aloha wear.
I don't regreat it at all and would probably do it again at some point.. given the price point and the overall experience I wouldn't rush back if I went to visit again in a year or two but if it had been 5+ years I might do it again. Although I am curious about other Luau's in general. Another person I spoke to on the speedi shuttle ride home thought it was better than most Luau's in general. As someone else mentioned Luau's in general seem very high priced.

That's disappointing to hear. Thanks for being the guinea pig for all of us. They put lots of folks in a crummy position the way they rolled this out :( I think I'll stick with Paradise Cove.

So one person wasn't thrilled with the experience and everyone has already condemned it. Sad.

So one person wasn't thrilled with the experience and everyone has already condemned it. Sad.

We are going on sat still and not changing our plans. The two things the one person complained about don't bother me at all and we have never done a luau before. I am sure we will enjoy it and in the end we will have a 10 month old and 3.5 year old with us so the convenience is worth it.

Meh. I haven't condemned it, but was on the fence and on a tight budget, and we can save nearly $200 by doing paradise cove instead, so this is enough to help make that decision. If the reviewer had been blown away and said its not to be missed, maybe I would have reevaluated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter