Justin Timberlake : DWI arrest

Yeah, saw that. Billy Joel said the biblical 'judge not lest ye be judged,' which is reasonable until the facts come out. Saw Gayle King on CBS this morning saying how he is a really good guy and maybe made a mistake, wonder what she would have said if he had killed someone. I was disappointed by her comments.

"Defending his character, she continued: 'He's not an irresponsible person. He's not reckless, careless." Really?
Brock Allen Turner was a good guy also but really what they mean is he's a nice looking white guy so let's just let this go.

Aren’t you the poster who, every year, starts another Oscars thread to celebrate and talk about the clothes that famous people wear? Do you also start threads about the clothes that other, non-famous people wear? Or do you only discuss the famous ones?

I start the award show threads as these entertainers hire stylists and fashion experts to dress them for the Red Carpets. They want to be seen on the Red Carpet as part of their jobs.

I do NOT start or usually participate in threads like for "People of Walmart," or other people who are just out living their lives, and may have unfortunate fashion choices or occurrences that routinely happen to people.

There are times celebrities are "celebrities" and other times and other time they are people living their lives and yes, they do **** up. MY POINT is, with the amount of attention this has gotten, If THIS story is going to make the front page news, then so should the non-famous people who also not only drove drunk the same night, but actually KILLED someone drunk. I'm sure someone in the U.S did die do to a drunk driver that same night. Maybe even at the same moment Justin was pulled over. THEY should be made famous too, on the front page of papers, especially as they DID murder someone.

Why is this case more important/newsworthy than the lives that were snuffed out due to drunk driving that night? We should be lighting a candle for those lives lost than focusing so much attention on this one. 🕯️

First offense DWI will likely be just a fine, but refusing the breathalyzer gets him an automatic license suspension. He spent about 9 hours in jail.

Driving drunk is not cool. Why on earth didn’t he get a ride?

Why is someone who is worth hundreds of millions even driving themselves around? He could get Morgan Freeman to drive Mr. NSYNC around.

I heard he was driving a 2025 BMW. He likely wanted to enjoy his very new ride.

Why on earth didn’t he get a ride?
I heard he was driving a 2025 BMW. He likely wanted to enjoy his very new ride.

It was likely a rental. His wife, Jessica is in NYC filming a movie. So, they may just be staying here.

My guess is that celebs aren't used to waiting for people or things. They don't want to wait the 10 min for a Black Uber to show up. (A Black Uber is the limo category of Ubers. They are 2-3 times the price of a regular Uber. My boss made me order one for a client once, and I went, "What's a Black Uber? You just want a black car?" :confused: )

Plus, when one is drunk, err, had one martini, ;) waiting 10 min can feel like half an hour. 🥴

Last edited:
Why is this a front page news story? Did he do something wrong? Absolutely! Should he have been arrested & tossed in jail overnight like he was? Yes. Is he lucky he didn't kill someone? Yes. 🙏

Where is the list of the other drunk drunk drivers arrested that night so people can vilify them too? Why aren't their arrests on the front page of national news too?

To those whom much is given, much is expected.

People need to know that the police, FBI, etc, are not your friends.

Yeah, I've watched enough cop dramas to know that if they want you to come into the station to question you as a "witness" but then mirandize you and say it's routine, you are not being viewed as a witness. And witnesses do not get mirandized. They are not being friends. It's time to get a lawyer.

There are times celebrities are "celebrities" and other times and other time they are people living their lives and yes, they do **** up. MY POINT is, with the amount of attention this has gotten, If THIS story is going to make the front page news, then so should the non-famous people who also not only drove drunk the same night, but actually KILLED someone drunk. I'm sure someone in the U.S did die do to a drunk driver that same night. Maybe even at the same moment Justin was pulled over. THEY should be made famous too, on the front page of papers, especially as they DID murder someone.
Drunk drivers who kill people, could become front page local news.
But those names are usually quickly forgotten anyways. Also, I find, the focus is often on the victims in these cases.

Sadly, there are so many murders in the US every day. Very few murderers will make it to nationwide papers. And if I’m being honest, it would be depressing to see nothing but murderers on the front page news.

It was likely a rental. His wife, Jessica is in NYC filming a movie. So, they may just be staying here.
Could be. The car had Florida plates, but he is officially listed as a resident of Tennessee (with an address presumably from his driver’s license). I’m not a Timberlake fan, but live in the area and heard about it on local news. Yes his wife was in Manhattan and he was apparently staying with friends on LI. He is scheduled to play two concerts at Madison Square Garden next week. He was quoted as saying to the police: “This is going to ruin the tour.”

Drunk drivers who kill people, could become front page local news.
But those names are usually quickly forgotten anyways. Also, I find, the focus is often on the victims in these cases.

Sadly, there are so many murders in the US every day. Very few murderers will make it to nationwide papers. And if I’m being honest, it would be depressing to see nothing but murderers on the front page news.
Come to the DC area, there is a murder several times a week in the area that makes the morning news. >:( Almost always with guns.

People need to know that the police, FBI, etc, are not your friends.
This is a pretty sad thought to have IMO - they are doing their job. Bet if your family member was murdered / kidnapped / assaulted / house broken into etc you wouldn’t have this as your first thought.

This is a pretty sad thought to have IMO - they are doing their job. Bet if your family member was murdered / kidnapped / assaulted / house broken into etc you wouldn’t have this as your first thought.
Their job does NOT involve them being your friend when you are suspected of breaking a law.

Yeah, I've watched enough cop dramas to know that if they want you to come into the station to question you as a "witness" but then mirandize you and say it's routine, you are not being viewed as a witness. And witnesses do not get mirandized. They are not being friends. It's time to get a lawyer.

Truth is that more often than not they will not Mirandize you immediately. You showing up at their invitation is voluntary, as is sitting down to chat in an interview room -- where the door will distinctly not be locked, you will not be restrained, you will be expressly told you are free to leave as you wish, all while the camera records everything. Immediate invocation of Miranda has a chilling effect, which does not help law enforcement in their pursuit of information.

Mirandized or not, the moment you mention that you feel you need an attorney the questioning will stop. If you attempt to leave at that point it is likely you will then be informed you are under arrest. You may then be Mirandized or not. If they Mirandize you they may make some sideways attempts to keep you talking via an opening verifying that you want an attorney in hopes that they can get you to verbally waiver on the attorney demand and elect to continue talking to them. If they don't Mirandize you it will seem as if you are suddenly radioactive and they will disengage with you entirely, beyond possibly strictly business of formally booking you, until you have counsel. Most departments have policies requiring suspects be offered Miranda verbally and in writing at booking to officially document their provision of due process.

When the defense attorney attempts to get the statement quashed on due process the prosecution will demonstrate the multiple ways the defendant was not in custody and any statement was entirely voluntary. Judge then makes the decision which position is supported by evidence credible to a reasonable mind and any statement will be deemed fair game or not. It's usually a high bar to convince the judge that the verbal waiver of the attorney demand is voluntary and knowing, but that boundary is frequently tested nonetheless, to varying success.

Generally the trickier situations involve suspects making statements in the heat of the moment to law enforcement responding to the scene and detaining someone. Hearings determining if those statements are permitted or not are beyond tedious, where body cam footage and witness testimony is reviewed to parse what is deemed excited utterance versus unknowing and involuntary statement against interest, and precisely when and how a specific party is deemed "in custody". Suspects are often deemed "in custody" some time before handcuffs or being placed in the back of a squad car. It's a battle of showing what did the suspect believe versus what would a reasonable mind believe. Often it comes down to a ruling such as -- not in custody when Officer Doe has taken six steps towards defendant, but once he takes the seventh step it seems clear to a reasonable mind that defendant is in custody and not free to leave. Everything defendant said up to the time Officer Doe took these six steps is in, everything defendant said after that point is out because he had reason to believe he was not free to leave and had not yet been offered his due process to remain silent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter