Just returned...Good, Bad, and Best

SCDisneyfanatic

Mouseketeer
Well, we just returned from a week at WDW...I have some things that were good (as expected), some things that weren't so good, and a few things that were spectacular. Overall, the trip was a great success. All the planning that took place over the weeks and months prior to traveling paid off. That Sunday (14 Dec) was a perfect example. AK in the morning, FP+ for Dinosaur, EE, and Kilimanjaro Safari...saw Tough to be a Bug, Nemo, Lion King and took a trip to the conservatory...out of there by 3:00, back to the hotel to freshen up and grab a cold adult beverage. EPCOT from 5:00 until 8:30 to get started on our Drink Around the World Passport...boat to HS at 8:30 to see Osborne Lights. Bottom Line: the planning and the FP+ made things pretty smooth.

So, what was the bad? Considering the crowds were projected at 4's most days and we went to the recommended parks each day, I can't imagine the crowds on "busy" days. I've seen it that crowded before, but it was in June or July. MVMCP was a ZOO!!!! Some awesome stuff (will mention that soon), but it was so crowded around the events that I often felt like I couldn't breathe. It was wall-to-wall people!!! It seemed to be the norm that something was broken every day...Pirates of the Caribbean was down both days at MK, FP+ was delayed (although they honor it later) for Dinosaur and Spaceship Earth...any popular ride without a FP was a really long wait (from 60-120 minutes). Luckily we did RD (+ 10 minutes...because the Monorail was delayed) at EPCOT on one day and hit TT Stand-by (still took 30 minutes)...we never even attempted 7DMT or TSMM since we didn't have FP+ for them.

The Best: Candlelight Processional is amazing...sat almost center stage about 5 rows back...it was incredible to witness. Unbelievable shows included Osborne Lights, Wishes at the Christmas Party, MVMCP Parade, and Fantasmic. Nemo, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast were all excellent. Dining at Jiko - The Cooking Place was phenomenal (although too pricey for some). For adults, doing the Drink Around the World Showcase Passport was great. We did it over two evenings at EPCOT and had each country's rep sign in their language saying "Merry Christmas" or something close (based on their language). It was a great trip and I look forward to returning in the future (problably a few years because we want to have Grandchildren old enough to remember what the experience).

Thanks for posting. It's always nice to read about Disney trips and get my 'fix'. Sounds like you accomplished a lot of fantastic things! Glad you had a good time. I'm adjusting to FP+ and on our last trip (August 2014) I also found that the planning paid off, making our trip fairly smooth. I enjoy planning, so it was a positive for us too. Thanks! :goodvibes

I agree about the crowds. We were at the World last week too and the crowds were much more than predicted. On Monday (15), we walked, very quickly, first thing in the morning to Soarin. It was at 20 min when we walked up, as we were walking & waiting, I checked the app & the wait time was up to 90 min! We also went to MVMCP & OP is right, it was a zoo. We went to MNSSHP earlier this year & it was a breeze, MVMCP not so much. The crowds were so much worse, especially during the parade, so many rude people. I have never seen it like that during a party. By 10 pm, we left the park. We were just done. I'm not sure if we'll go to MVMCP next year. But times heals all bad feelings, so maybe.

We thought the Osborne Lights were crazy crowded on the 14th, but much more manageable on the 18th. I'll try to avoid weekend visits to see them in the future. :goodvibes

Just a quick question. I see people mention rope drop, just wondering how early people usually get to the parks. Is it norm about a half hour before the park opens to be there? Or can you get there right at opening and get on a ride or two relatively easily.

we just got back a few days ago as well. MK last Saturday was plain awful but I felt the crowds were normal levels... what I am used to in June or May. The parks were pretty empty the first few hours. We had little success at MVMCP.

Just a quick question. I see people mention rope drop, just wondering how early people usually get to the parks. Is it norm about a half hour before the park opens to be there? Or can you get there right at opening and get on a ride or two relatively easily.

We were also there last week, and I agree with the crowd level assessment...it was far busier than the predictions, I believe. Still doable, but after about 10:00 a.m., there were practically no headliner rides you could get on without at least a 45 minute wait, and even the secondary attractions had super long waits. Anyway, with an 8 a.m. MK opening, we didn't arrive until 8:15ish the three days we did RD, and everything (other than 7DMT) was a walk-on for the first 90 minutes-2 hours. The biggest snag was the fact that so many rides were down at opening, particularly POTC, which didn't open at all one day and didn't open until after noon the next, and Splash, which didn't open until after 11 a.m. one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter