Just off the Fantasy and DCL continues to amaze us!

On this cruise, we had a small toilet issue. No big deal. We called Guest Services, they sent someone right up and it was fixed quickly. For the next 2 days, we received calls and a little card, asking us if everything was okay and checking to see if we had any more problems. On the 3rd day, it was struggling to flush again, so we called again. Again they came up and fixed it immediately. That afternoon, we had a care package of Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats and a bag of popcorn as an apology gift! So unnecessary, as these things happen and we had no sore feelings about it, but DCL went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. We felt like VIP's, even though we were only on deck 2, in a category 9 room!

We had the exact same thing happen on the same cruise last week... same deck as well (2010). And we got the rice krispy treats as well. The customer service we experienced was 1st class!

Not to take away from your experience, it was great customer service, however I will tell you that we received much the same care on our sailing on the Oasis in October. When I left to use the restroom, which was out of character for me, the wait team both quizzed my husband on whether or not I was okay, did I need any assistance, was there anything that they could do. We were both impressed that they noticed that leaving the table was not something that was a norm for me. DH said they stopped by the table three times to check before I returned. Again, your wives experience was a medical emergency and mine wasn't so its hard to compare however when you get good CM's you remember.
Having that sort of attention certainly is a thing you don't forget.

It was more than just noticing that she left though. It was them taking on themselves to watch her like a hawk without intruding on her - insisting that I stay and record the show, and in presenting her a special gift - anything - because I mean there is no point to a free desert when it's already free - because even though it was not their fault, they felt that her experience was sub-par.

There are so many. The ship itself is beautiful! I lost my sunglasses at CC, when going down the waterslides. I told the lifeguard. He told me not to worry, that the glasses would be waiting for me at Guest Services when I return to the ship. I thought, "Yeah, okay. The glasses are in the ocean!". Sure enough, I got back on the ship, went to Guest Services and there were my glasses!!! Disney magic!!! :tinker:

Wow!! This is why I love DCL!!

It was more than just noticing that she left though. It was them taking on themselves to watch her like a hawk without intruding on her - insisting that I stay and record the show, and in presenting her a special gift - anything - because I mean there is no point to a free desert when it's already free - because even though it was not their fault, they felt that her experience was sub-par.
I hope you don't think I was making light of your experience, that was not my intent. I'm sorry if that is how it sounded.

What I was trying to get across was that we also had great CM's that cared about how we were doing. No, we didn't receive a special gift, that would have been weird for just going to the bathroom, lol. Seriously though, you don't forget when a CM cares enough that they question how you are doing, whether or not there is an emergency. Mine just didn't happen to be with DCL. Very glad your wife was okay, having a grandson with life threating allergies I know it could have been much worse.

❤️❤️❤️this post made me feel so emotional! Love family Disney vacations, thanks for sharing!!
I agree, it's the little things! Too many to count! From my six year old asking how the kid club counselors always remember his name (as in before we check in, as we are approaching the counter). Or the one night in the dining room when my son fell asleep on my lap at dinner and the waiter cut up my steak into bite sized pieces so that I could more easily enjoy my dinner. Or every time we would return to our stateroom our hostess would genuinely inquire about our day and always made us feel so at home. Or seeing Captain Jack Sparrow stop and kneel beside an elderly woman in a wheel chair and make small talk before kissing her hand and going about his way. Or seeing a cast member poolside help a mom with a child in a wheel chair with her lunch tray and then ask her what she would like to drink and go get it for them. The random character interactions like Minnie and Daisy passing in the hall and giving one another a little hug. But the big one for me on this trip was when on the first day, while unpacking, I realized I forgot to pack my formal dress for formal night. I was so disappointed because my husband and boys all had 3 piece suits and my daughter had her beautiful dress and I was looking forward to finally getting a nice family photo. I was bummed! DH called down to guest services and the next morning they brought me 2 brand new black dresses to try. One of them fit! I felt like Cinderella!!!
emotia

Here is our story about the Fantasy. It was the DW and I plus our DS15 it was a Eastern Christmas cruise. The DS was not super thrilled to be away. The first night in the Dinning room when we met our serving team including the head server who asked us about ourselves and if we had any food preferences. My DS said he was training for High School wrestling and did not want to eat any junk food! He was also peeved that he could not go into the gym(under 18). It turned out the Head server and our server where both into keeping fit and arranged for a veggie tray and a beautiful fruit tray every night. They also talked to him about how to exercise on the ship. ie running laps on the promenade deck, pushups and situps in the cabin. So it became a nightly topic, how many laps he ran that day, how many pushups and situps were done. The Head server also talked to someone in the teen club who said they would arrange for some teen time in the gym. My DS really bonded with these two and it made my our cruise that much more enjoyable!

I don’t mean this as a negative at all, but does anyone else have insight into the uncanny degree of guest information they have?

During our Fantasy cruise, one night during a deck party, a CM was bumped from behind and domino-effect spilled a serving tray of filled champagne glasses (plastic), soaking my young daughter’s fleece pullover. Stinky.

I reported it later that night to GS to ask for assistance with the cleaning. They offered to take care of the dry cleaning which was all I wanted.

By the time I got to our stateroom, the attendant already knew about it and had made arrangements. The servers at dinner the next night knew all about it too. The morning after the incident though, 2 surprise stuffed toys were waiting for the kids, very unexpected. But here’s the kicker... they were exactly the items they had been perseverating over in the shops earlier in the cruise.

How?! Did they track their bands (not sure they were wearing) and pull up a video file from the gift shop? Did the gift shop employee jot a note in a digital file that they all share. Was it pure coincidence?

It was great of course. Just thought provoking too.

There are cameras in every part of the ship in public areas. For example, they could easily look up the people in your cabin (that photo you take in the terminal and put on your KTTWC) and then pull footage from when you or the kids are shopping in the stores. Then they know which stuffed toy or item seemed to draw them. The CM's in the shop are also very observant and might be able to help to direct as to which items someone covets.
Magical yes, but definitely there are ways to make the magic happen. :)

Here is our story about the Fantasy. It was the DW and I plus our DS15 it was a Eastern Christmas cruise. The DS was not super thrilled to be away. The first night in the Dinning room when we met our serving team including the head server who asked us about ourselves and if we had any food preferences. My DS said he was training for High School wrestling and did not want to eat any junk food! He was also peeved that he could not go into the gym(under 18). It turned out the Head server and our server where both into keeping fit and arranged for a veggie tray and a beautiful fruit tray every night. They also talked to him about how to exercise on the ship. ie running laps on the promenade deck, pushups and situps in the cabin. So it became a nightly topic, how many laps he ran that day, how many pushups and situps were done. The Head server also talked to someone in the teen club who said they would arrange for some teen time in the gym. My DS really bonded with these two and it made my our cruise that much more enjoyable!

That's awesome!!!

There are cameras in every part of the ship in public areas. For example, they could easily look up the people in your cabin (that photo you take in the terminal and put on your KTTWC) and then pull footage from when you or the kids are shopping in the stores. Then they know which stuffed toy or item seemed to draw them. The CM's in the shop are also very observant and might be able to help to direct as to which items someone covets.

Of course there are, but the fact that Disney goes to all that trouble, not to mention the time and expense, to go above and beyond is what leaves me in awe and keeps me coming back!!!

I hope you don't think I was making light of your experience, that was not my intent. I'm sorry if that is how it sounded.

What I was trying to get across was that we also had great CM's that cared about how we were doing. No, we didn't receive a special gift, that would have been weird for just going to the bathroom, lol. Seriously though, you don't forget when a CM cares enough that they question how you are doing, whether or not there is an emergency. Mine just didn't happen to be with DCL. Very glad your wife was okay, having a grandson with life threating allergies I know it could have been much worse.

I didn't take it that way. I was just communicating that - to me and in my experience - the level of concern and attention she received from DCL was a level above what we have seen on or received on other cruise lines. I don't mean to dismiss those other lines or say they do a bad job per se. Certainly I think RCL is a terrific cruise line and have been on several. However what I have seen from DCL is a step above (and thus worth the cost).

Of course there are, but the fact that Disney goes to all that trouble, not to mention the time and expense, to go above and beyond is what leaves me in awe and keeps me coming back!!!

Preaching to the choir about coming back. :) I was just explaining to another about HOW DCL does it. That is what sets them apart from other cruise lines.

Preaching to the choir about coming back. :) I was just explaining to another about HOW DCL does it. That is what sets them apart from other cruise lines.
Agree! I could save a lot of money (sometimes) if I went with another cruise line...but the premium is worth it due to the level of service

Reading this thread is making me smile from ear to ear! We made Gold on our last Disney cruise in 2014. Until this summer when a large group of friends cruised to Alaska on RCI, we had only cruised Disney. Our experience on RCI was.... less than magical and I have no plans to cruise anything but Disney from now on. We have booked an Eastern in 2019 with our son's friends and cannot wait! Yes, DCL costs more (a lot more), but it's worth saving a little longer to have the most magical vacation possible. Disney most definitely has cornered the market on customer service and shows it time and time again!

Reading this thread is making me smile from ear to ear! We made Gold on our last Disney cruise in 2014. Until this summer when a large group of friends cruised to Alaska on RCI, we had only cruised Disney. Our experience on RCI was.... less than magical and I have no plans to cruise anything but Disney from now on. We have booked an Eastern in 2019 with our son's friends and cannot wait! Yes, DCL costs more (a lot more), but it's worth saving a little longer to have the most magical vacation possible. Disney most definitely has cornered the market on customer service and shows it time and time again!

I know what you mean. I have been on RC and have only heard bad things about Carnival. That's why it confuses me so much when I see folks on this board complaining about the prices of DCL. You get what you pay for!! You pay for a cheaper cruise line, but many niceties are lost in the discounts. :rolleyes:

"Magical" is the glass-half-full way of looking at it. The flip side is rather Orwellian. :rolleyes1

Same topic, different setting: when we were at WDW a couple of months ago, our son left his (cheap) swimming goggles next to the pool at Poly. We knew exactly where he left them, but it was a day or so before we realized they were missing, and by the time we went looking they had been picked up. We checked at the front desk to see if they had been turned in. They hadn't, so the CM suggested we could buy a pair at the gift shop and bring the receipt to the front desk, and they would credit our account for the cost! We didn't end up taking them up on it, but I was pretty blown away that they offered. I guess it doesn't really cost them much, but whose fault was it that the goggles were lost in the first place? Certainly not Disney's!

I love these posts - we are newbies and are headed on our first cruise with our kids in January. It's actually our first family vacation - hopefully will be a hard one to top!

I just got off the Fantasy two days ago. it was my second cruise in 3 weeks time, did the same cruise in October for Halloween. I'm a huge characterfan and go through pretty much all the lines so the contact with the ent staff was a bit more personal.
For Christmas they had a new show that has special unique costumes for Minnie, mickey, chipmunks and Goofy. I'm not talking about the regular costumes but about specific ones for that show only (they are all around the world costumes, African Mickey, Chinese chipmunks etc)
In the show they ahve a VERY short meet and greet moment. I knew where Mickey would be standing so anticipated on that and then got chipmunks done. So I was a bit bumbed not seeing Minnie and Goofy. Several of the greeters asked me afterwards how I liked the show and who I had seen (Daisy and Donald were also in the show but didnt have unique costumes) so I told them I didn't get Minnie and Goofy. Well later in the week an invite showed up at my stateroom for a private meet on the last afternoon with Minnie and Goofy in those costumes...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter