Just closed on 160 direct contract at grand Cali

TheSnowWhite_

Earning My Ears
I’m having second thoughts if I made the right decision. My guide sold me 160 grand Cali direct points at $310 a point. I know resale is lower but it would lock you out of staying at Disneyland villas hotel. I calculated it cost me about 14k more than going resale route and also gave me the blue card direct benefits. It’s too late for me to back out but I guess I’m looking for validation or if I made a 14k oopsies. Did I make the wrong choice ?? Do people regret going direct on aulani or other direct hotels ?

I’m having second thoughts if I made the right decision. My guide sold me 160 grand Cali direct points at $310 a point. I know resale is lower but it would lock you out of staying at Disneyland villas hotel. I calculated it cost me about 14k more than going resale route and also gave me the blue card direct benefits. It’s too late for me to back out but I guess I’m looking for validation or if I made a 14k oopsies. Did I make the wrong choice ?? Do people regret going direct on aulani or other direct hotels ?
Everyone here is gonna wanna know how you got a direct Grand Californian contract. I would've bought it had i had the ability. But was told no just like many others.

Oh I think most here (who want a Disneyland resort DVC, of course) would definitely reassure you that they would have absolutely jumped at the chance to purchase 160 direct points at Grand Cal. VGC might be the one resort that few people would regret going direct on:)

Congrats and welcome home!

Oh I think most here (who want a Disneyland resort DVC, of course) would definitely reassure you that they would have absolutely jumped at the chance to purchase 160 direct points at Grand Cal. VGC might be the one resort that few people would regret going direct on:)

Congrats and welcome home!
Okay that’s good to know because I wasn’t sure if people would pay the extra amount direct at $310. It seemed steep for an extra 14k but I don’t know anyone in my inner circle or in general besides these websites of other dvc owners.

I told my guide I wanted that hotel and he called me to offer it maybe a month after I told him I was interested in that hotel.
Thats great! I told a guide I wanted it and she said it was sold out never again to be offered. I knew that wasn't true and they periodically come available, she never called me back even to get my final no on VDH either.

We bought 170 direct VGC points without hesitation earlier this year - the delta on direct vs resale isn’t very large and VGC resales with the right points/UY may be challenging. We got lucky - right place right time in that we walked into the DL lounge and asked to speak with whichever guide was there . He just happened to have 170 points. He is also our new guide.

Congrats on the purchase!!

Thats great! I told a guide I wanted it and she said it was sold out never again to be offered. I knew that wasn't true and they periodically come available, she never called me back even to get my final no on VDH either.
That seems odd because I found out about direct grand Cali points on the Disney website. It had a button you click about inquiring about sold out hotels. And then I called the Disney hotline and spoke with a guide.

We bought 170 direct VGC points without hesitation earlier this year - the delta on direct vs resale isn’t very large and VGC resales with the right points/UY may be challenging. We got lucky - right place right time in that we walked into the DL lounge and asked to speak with whichever guide was there. He just happened to have 170 points.

Wow okay so you were offered around the same points as me ! That’s fantastic. How come you jumped on the offer so quick? What is your math for the delta on direct vs resale ? Is 14k not considered large ? Sorry for the questions haha I don’t know anyone about dvc besides these chat boards. I also was wondering why Hilton timeshares and Marriott are so cheap compared to Disney timeshares.

We bought 170 direct VGC points without hesitation earlier this year - the delta on direct vs resale isn’t very large and VGC resales with the right points/UY may be challenging. We got lucky - right place right time in that we walked into the DL lounge and asked to speak with whichever guide was there . He just happened to have 170 points. He is also our new guide.

Thank you! Also, how come you decided on 170 points as your magic number? How come that many and not a different number? I only ask because I was offered 160 and just took what was offered. What would you consider your ideal amount of points to the grand Cali ?

If you want to stay at VGC, then it's best to own there. So, I think you made a good choice to jump on those points. Also, I would hate to own points so close to VDH and not be able to stay there too, so another benefit, in my mind, to buying direct.

Wow okay so you were offered around the same points as me ! That’s fantastic. How come you jumped on the offer so quick? What is your math for the delta on direct vs resale ? Is 14k not considered large ? Sorry for the questions haha I don’t know anyone about dvc besides these chat boards. I also was wondering why Hilton timeshares and Marriott are so cheap compared to Disney timeshares.
DVC currently has a high resale value compared to other timeshares.

Your VGC contract could resell around 250 a point on the market now.

Does CA have the 10 day rescind period?
If so, you can change the amount of points within this period.
150 points is the minimum to get the DVC direct benefits with a new contract.

Why is it super rare to get VGC points ?
VGC has been sold out for years.
Disney only gets VGC points from non ROFR normally.
So these points may have been foreclosed on or surrendered to Disney.

You are very lucky to have been offered VGC direct points, especially 100+ at once.

Many people local to DL prefer direct points to bounce between VDH and VGC based on availability.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest