Just checked my credit card statement ...

You say you have raised your credit score over 100 points you may be eligible for a better credit card now with a lower interest rate and no annual fee where you can transfer all the balances. Sometimes they will give you a promotional intro lowered interest rate to open the new card too for a fixed period of time. I would definitely get rid of the "protection fees" on all your cards its just a way to make extra money off of you and will offer not much protection on a card that you have a $700 limit on. Definitely don't keep a $1 balance on any card you will always be charged interest which is what you are trying to get away from. The only thing a card needs to stay open is a small charge every now and then and it to be paid in full each month when you get your statement. You can also send money towards your credit card balance at any time, it does not only have to be once the statement arrives, lowering your average daily balance does help lower your interest when calculated at the end of the billing cycle.
I think you need to read a lot of different financial fitness books from a variety of authors and take the pearls of wisdom that best fits your situation as the advice they give is not a one size fits all and you can use your newfound knowledge to forge a path to financial literacy and stability.

Just to update. I just did a little spreadsheet by sitting down and looking at all 3 cards. I just wanted to know exactly what I'm paying. So dthis may change what I need to pay towards/off first.

CC1
CL - $300;
Monthly Fees - $0 (no credit protection fee either);
Annual Fees - $0;
Interest Rate - 30.74%;

CC2
CL - $500;
Monthly Fees - $0 but it has credit protection fee each month;
Annual Fees - $99.99 (billed monthly at $8.25)
Interest Rate - 29.24%

CC3
CL - $700;
Monthly Fees - $12.50 monthly fee + credit protection fee;
Annual Fee - $49;
Interst Rate - 35.90%

I would like to keep CC3 open. It has the highest credit limit, but the problem is it also has the most fees and highest APR. CC1 has lowest CL but no fees. So that's where my conundrum stands. Should I pay off CC1 or put all $300 towards CC3 and just keep paying monthly minimum payments on the others?
I would pay off CC3 and close it as its the most expensive interest wise and with fees, that's why they gave you a higher limit as they keep you locked into paying all the fees by keeping you overextended where you can't pay it in full each month. I would then focus on keeping cc1 & cc2 which have a combined $800 charging limit each month if you are able to pay it in full each month. I would call CC2 and get rid of the protection fee and say you don't need it, I would also ask them if they have a no annual fee credit card that you could switch over to instead. CC1 is the winner of all three as you have no fees and your is only slightly higher than #2, you could also call and ask to see if they would be willing to lower your interest rate since you have a good history of repayment and being ontime with them (hopefully). Remember once you start paying your CC bills in full each month it doesn't matter what the interest rate is as you won't get charged it, but the fees will still be there even with full payment each month.

First of all, congratulations on raising your credit score 100 points! That's pretty awesome.

I agree with @princesscinderella in everything she said. Pay off CC3 first, don't carry a balance (eventually) on the other two, get rid of the scummy protection fee and see if you can get a credit card with no annual fee from one of your credit card companies and transfer the balance.

I also think you really have to look at WHY you need credit cards. Is it to raise your credit score so you can rent a home easier or eventually get a mortgage? Is it to have emergency access to funds? Is it to pay for stuff on time rather than right away? IMO, the fist one is the most valid, followed by the second one and the last one the least valid of all.

You say what the credit limits are - are you actually maxed out on the cards? If not what it the actual balance on them at the moment?

Thanks. To answer the last part, it's a combo of all 3. My credit was bad and when we moved form East Texas to DFW (moved for our jobs), we had so much trouble getting into a place. We had to live in a hotel for 2 months because we had bad credit and couldn't get approved (we had enough cash from selling our house to pay for 2 years of rent, but nobody would give us a chance). So trying to build my credit score to make it easier to get a house/loan, lower payments (I'm currently paying 26% APR on my car payment). Secondly, we want a card in case an emergency happens, i.e. our fridge goes out, the AC unit goes out, etc. We don't so much want the extended time to pay for every day things (eating out, trips). Instead, we want to have it in case we have to purchase something big that we can pay out over time.

First of all, congratulations on raising your credit score 100 points! That's pretty awesome.

I agree with @princesscinderella in everything she said. Pay off CC3 first, don't carry a balance (eventually) on the other two, get rid of the scummy protection fee and see if you can get a credit card with no annual fee from one of your credit card companies and transfer the balance.

I also think you really have to look at WHY you need credit cards. Is it to raise your credit score so you can rent a home easier or eventually get a mortgage? Is it to have emergency access to funds? Is it to pay for stuff on time rather than right away? IMO, the fist one is the most valid, followed by the second one and the last one the least valid of all.

My DD who’s in college got a Chime credit builder card in her name. She has no job, her only bill in her name is her phone which we pay for her, and somehow she has a 780 credit score just from using that card and her phone. I don’t understand it, the way credit works is so stupid. She recently applied for and got TWO credit cards each with a starting $5,000 credit limit. I have no clue how that was possible, she’s young, no job, hardly any credit history. She says it’s the chime card. Insane. I cautioned her against using them and building up debt (and she says they’re for emergencies only) but she’s an adult now, so that’s all I can do.

Just to update. I just did a little spreadsheet by sitting down and looking at all 3 cards. I just wanted to know exactly what I'm paying. So dthis may change what I need to pay towards/off first.

CC1
CL - $300;
Monthly Fees - $0 (no credit protection fee either);
Annual Fees - $0;
Interest Rate - 30.74%;

CC2
CL - $500;
Monthly Fees - $0 but it has credit protection fee each month;
Annual Fees - $99.99 (billed monthly at $8.25)
Interest Rate - 29.24%

CC3
CL - $700;
Monthly Fees - $12.50 monthly fee + credit protection fee;
Annual Fee - $49;
Interst Rate - 35.90%

I would like to keep CC3 open. It has the highest credit limit, but the problem is it also has the most fees and highest APR. CC1 has lowest CL but no fees. So that's where my conundrum stands. Should I pay off CC1 or put all $300 towards CC3 and just keep paying monthly minimum payments on the others?

Personally, I’d keep card #1 with no annual fee. Card #2 & 3 most of your minimum payments are just going towards annual & monthly fees… just making money for the lender & keeping you in debt. If you get those 2 cards paid off & closed, you should be able to get your credit limit increased for card 1.

Last edited:
My DD who’s in college got a Chime credit builder card in her name. She has no job, her only bill in her name is her phone which we pay for her, and somehow she has a 780 credit score just from using that card and her phone. I don’t understand it, the way credit works is so stupid. She recently applied for and got TWO credit cards each with a starting $5,000 credit limit. I have no clue how that was possible, she’s young, no job, hardly any credit history. She says it’s the chime card. Insane. I cautioned her against using them and building up debt (and she says they’re for emergencies only) but she’s an adult now, so that’s all I can do.

How long has the phone been in her name? And was she an authorized used on any of your credit cards? I got an Express store card when my daughter was in high school. I made her an authorized user & she had a card in her name. Basically, just having her on my account as an authorized user gave her a good credit score, even tho she had no job & no other credit cards or bills. So you paying her phone bill probably had a lot to do with her score.

Last edited:
Thanks. To answer the last part, it's a combo of all 3. My credit was bad and when we moved form East Texas to DFW (moved for our jobs), we had so much trouble getting into a place. We had to live in a hotel for 2 months because we had bad credit and couldn't get approved (we had enough cash from selling our house to pay for 2 years of rent, but nobody would give us a chance). So trying to build my credit score to make it easier to get a house/loan, lower payments (I'm currently paying 26% APR on my car payment). Secondly, we want a card in case an emergency happens, i.e. our fridge goes out, the AC unit goes out, etc. We don't so much want the extended time to pay for every day things (eating out, trips). Instead, we want to have it in case we have to purchase something big that we can pay out over time.
Ok. Fair enough. As your credit gets better you can swap out cards for ones that don’t cost you so much money. Once you pay off your cards, you can make a two pronged approach to get out from under that absolutely usurious car loan by paying more per month (check there is no pre payment penalty) and then set aside some money for emergencies. Good luck!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest