Just back -- our "Bottom Line" on the dining plan

Great review! Love how you broke it down by the minimum of what you would order. After our last trip I figured out we would save by getting the DP on just what we ordered and we were being quite frugal. Of course, now DD is going to be 10 before we go back so that is more calculating for me!

Grandmouse said:
I'm really confused about this free dining plan. In order to get this dining plan you have to pay the rack rate for the resort, correct? If that is the case, are you really saving that much money? Or do you make two separate resort ressies -- the rack rate for one night, and a disounted rate (AAA, AP, etc.) for the remainder.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out of this is worth it for us if it's offered the next time we plan to go--three adults, two children.

IMHO: It's only a good deal, for most, if you stay at a Value or Moderate Resort. You are right, rack rate for the Deluxe Resorts really negate some of the value. Especially, when it's only 2 adults going, like us. I have never stayed at a Value resort, but for a rate of about $13. per night, after backing out Free Dining, I think I can survive :teeth: I hope. :guilty:

Enjoyed your report, Jim. :thumbsup2

JimMIA said:
Thanks B.

BTW...have you ever had a Hatuey? Not many of us have...

LOL, no. Someone used to post under the name Hatuey. That word evokes memories from my childhood but I can't pinpoint of what for the life of me. :rotfl:
So in responding to a post by Hatuey, I told him/her that I loved the name.

When the Tag Fairy was kind enough to gift me with tags...that's what I got. :sunny:

Do you know what or who a Hatuey is? Was it in a song.....Hatuey, Hatuey.....from Music Man maybe?

BCV23 said:
LOL, no. Someone used to post under the name Hatuey. That word evokes memories from my childhood but I can't pinpoint of what for the life of me. :rotfl:
So in responding to a post by Hatuey, I told him/her that I loved the name.

When the Tag Fairy was kind enough to gift me with tags...that's what I got. :sunny:

Do you know what or who a Hatuey is? Was it in a song.....Hatuey, Hatuey.....from Music Man maybe?
Hatuey is a Cuban beer. Rather bitter, but not all bad. Hatuey himself may have been an Indian chief in colonial Cuba...but that's just a guess, based on the picture on the label.

Hmm, since I grew up many moons ago in Illinois, I don't think that is what I remember. But I will have to try a Hatuey beer since it has been my tag for so long....if I can that is.

Can you get them anywhere in WDW? Or is it like Cuban cigars?

Great Reviews! Thanks... I love the fact you would have spent 4 zillion dollars!!!!!! :) :rotfl2:

I agree with you, we usually do a CS for lunch and a TS each evening but there is no way I would be ordering an appetizer and dessert every night or desssert at a CS. But I am looking forward to being able to do this without wondering how I am going to pay for all of it when I get home! And I do anticipate us saving money even if we only add up what we would have eaten had we actually paid each meal itself.

Great review! We looked at it similarly to your analysis before deciding to use the plan last year. We looked at all the menus on allearsnet.com and priced out what we would be spending for dinner each night and every night it was either within a few dollars of the dining plan price per day or over. So for us it was like getting a counter service and snack credit free each day. We did end up with 16 snacks at the end and so on our last package night I rolled the stroller on down to the Pop Century food court and loaded up with bottled waters and milks for the way home. I'm sure I looked like a complete maniac :crazy: but oh well. May as well use them! Oh and we also took home quite the stash of counter service desserts. I don't think we'll have as much leftovers this time now that they've expanded the snack offerings and also now that our twins will be two when we go and not eating baby food anymore. We're still going to come out way ahead though. Two of the biggest non monetary values to me though are having it paid ahead of time and not having to think about it at all and having DH not be a cheapskate when he orders and actually ordering whatever he wants instead of what's reasonable. It's just so much more relaxed and enjoyable. :thumbsup2

english rose 47 said:
Can you get the chicken and ribs meal at Cosmic Rays for 1 cs.2 of them would feed all 5 of us

It counts at 1! Mom and I split it for lunch last trip, after skipping breakfast (we're not breakfast eaters) and still didn't completely finish it. I wasn't sure what to expect from "fast food" chicken and ribs but was actually impressed.

rlduvall said:
IMHO: It's only a good deal, for most, if you stay at a Value or Moderate Resort. You are right, rack rate for the Deluxe Resorts really negate some of the value. Especially, when it's only 2 adults going, like us. I have never stayed at a Value resort, but for a rate of about $13. per night, after backing out Free Dining, I think I can survive :teeth: I hope. :guilty:

That's exactly what we did. It's been I think 12 years since my last stay at a value but looking at the numbers we just couldn't pass it up. I swore I'd never stay at a value again (that first and last time was horrible - I know it's a "hot topic" but we there in the middle of Brazilian tour group season and every night of our trip this one particular group would run through the buildings pulling fire alarms - so they'd go off randomly all through the night every night) We figure the end of September there shouldn't be as many groups so it may be a lil safer. Any discount on the rooms couldn't come close to the value we'll get with free dining. We originally were going to go moderate but I started playing with numbers and it became a game of getting it as cheap as possible :rotfl2:

Glad to see you made the plan work for you. plan on doing the same thing in the next few days!

rlduvall said:

Hi ... I don't understand this ... what is 'rack rate' ? If I stay @ a DVC Resort, I can get DDP for $38.00 per adult per day ... how do I get it for $13 ??

Thanks for a great review. It has helped us make decisions on how to adjust our eating patterns.

April :Pinkbounc

jdg345 said:
Hi ... I don't understand this ... what is 'rack rate' ? If I stay @ a DVC Resort, I can get DDP for $38.00 per adult per day ... how do I get it for $13 ??

Rack rate is the cost of the room per night without any discounts. The poster is going during the free dining promotion so I believe they are taking what they would have spent on the dining plan and subtracted it from the cost of the room. You can't actually get anything for $13.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter