Just back -- our "Bottom Line" on the dining plan

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
We are just back from WDW, having spent 5 days there on the dining plan.

We learned a couple of interesting things using the dining plan for the first time -- including what could be a potential pitfall for prospective users.

Basically, according to the Disney receipts we received -- some of which I forgot to keep, and others which are all $0.00 and would require extensive accounting work I choose not to do -- we "saved" approximately $4 Zillion over the five day period. However, that's $4 Zillion at Disney prices, assuming we would have purchased a whole bunch of stuff we definitely would NOT have paid for. So, I have tried to distill things down to what we REALLY would have done without the dining plan, with some accommodations just for fairness to the DDP, and have come up with an answer...for us.

For us...it worked well.

First of all, there were three of us -- 2 adults and one 4 y/o, which worked out to $434.85 for the five nights.

MY first test is: Did we save money -- not compared to our receipts, but compared to what we would actually have done, based on our two recent previous trips?

Our normal pattern is: we are not breakfast folks, and we often don't eat lunch either. But we usually make up for that with a "nice" dinner at Epcot each night. We also usually do at least one Character meal for DD4goingon24. We do some snacking, but that is usually limited to water and ice cream, so it's not a ton of money in our scheme.

So -- to compare -- I decided the fairest way would be to disregard breakfast entirely (we actually did zero breakfasts), and lunch, and snacks ... and focus on the two things I knew we would do. Nice dinners, and two character meals.

Character meals: We did two, both dinners -- Goofy's Liberate Your Appetite, and 1900 Park Fare. We would highly recommend both to anyone -- the food was good and the character interactions were excellent! Those cost us roughly $90 each, and their value is the same with the dining plan or without. So that's $180 either way.

Epcot: According to my receipts, we spent almost $500 at our three Epcot dinners, but I GUARANTEE you, we would not have spent that if homey had been paying the bill. We ate (in order) at Teppenyaki, Le Cellier, and Coral Reef. I've gone back over the menues, and if we'd dined there under normal circumstances, we would have spent a little over $300...probably about $325.

Net, net? If you add the $180 for character meals and $325 for dinners at Epcot, we would have spent $505. So, in this limited -- really ultra-conservative -- example, we saved roughly $70...not the $4 Zillion Disney claims we saved.

BUT...in addition to what we have listed above, we also used all 15 CS credits, bringing 3 Earl of Sandwich sandwiches home with us, and all 15 snack credits, consuming a bunch of ice cream and water, and still bringing home half a dozen cookies, brownies, etc. And, although eating CS is not normally our style, I can tell you we thoroughly enjoyed almost all of our CS selections (Columbia Harbour, Cosmic Ray's, and the Earl of Sandwich). [I also got fish and chips at England, and that was a truly mediocre use of one CS. Won't do that again -- if only they would accept one CS for a half-yard!]

The one potential snag I noted occurred when DW suddenly decided to be sick on our first full day. She actually stayed home in bed, leaving Girlie and I to demolish MK on our own. The second day, she still wasn't feeling much like eating (except for ice cream and water :rolleyes1 ), so we had two unused CSs from that day too (DD's only 4, but she's not stupid! If Mommy is eating only ice cream and water...).

We got sandwiches to bring home, but I wonder what Disney Dining would do if someone got sick, and stayed sick, to the point where they really couldn't use their DDP? For longer stays, I'm sure it would work out, but for someone on a short weekend trip, I wonder what they'd do?

wonderful review of the DDP, and I whole-heartedly agree that we too would have not had the opportunity nor the funds to attend all of the more expensive TS locations. I don't think the DDP "saves" you money, but it does afford you options that you may have not been afforded before.
Thanks again for a great analysis of the Dining Plan! :thumbsup2

I agree with you 100%. We definitely don't look at the DDP as saving money on what we would already buy - that's our DDE's job - but as allowing us to prepay our meals and order things we would never do.

We've done the DDP twice now (once paid for, once free :cool1: ) and are doing it again in Sept. :cool1: I agree, while it may not be saving us money (except when it's free) since we dine pretty budget conscious, we have tried restaurants that we hadn't tried before and have found a few new favorites. Kona Cafe and Park Faire just to name two. :goodvibes

We too are not big breakfast folks and usually eat something quickly in the room. This year I guess we'll also be having some pastries for bfast since they are now on the snack plan. On our prior 2 visits with DDP we had snack credits leftover on the last day (even after treating strangers to some free ice cream).

Thanks for the great review!

We aren't going until October but I am sure we will be saving money. I am just anxious to see how much. Our #'s have just been upped to nine people going and 2 of those are 17 year old males. both of whom can be like hobbits and would eat 2 dinners a night if it was available. One has been perusing the menus on line and pciking what he wants already. He is his mother's son. (me) So IF October ever gets here and I get to go I will let you know if it is a good deal when feeding 2 human hoovers.

pigletforever said:
We aren't going until October but I am sure we will be saving money. I am just anxious to see how much. Our #'s have just been upped to nine people going and 2 of those are 17 year old males. both of whom can be like hobbits and would eat 2 dinners a night if it was available. One has been perusing the menus on line and pciking what he wants already. He is his mother's son. (me) So IF October ever gets here and I get to go I will let you know if it is a good deal when feeding 2 human hoovers.
One suggestion I would have is take the Hobbits to Cosmic Ray's (MK) for lunch and feed them ribs or 1/2 chicken on a CS.

The other suggestion would be to explain to them that an infinite array of dinners are available to them -- and you'll get the first one. Whatever they can afford after that is fine with all concerned!

JimMIA said:
One suggestion I would have is take the Hobbits to Cosmic Ray's (MK) for lunch and feed them ribs or 1/2 chicken on a CS.

The other suggestion would be to explain to them that an infinite array of dinners are available to them -- and you'll get the first one. Whatever they can afford after that is fine with all concerned!

I'm sorry but "take the Hobbits to Cosmic Ray's" made me laugh out loud...thank you for that lovely mental picture!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

pigletforever said:

in a word: BUFFETS!!!!! :rotfl2:

the dining plan saves our family money... why? because even when going oop we eat two to three meals a day, and drink a lot of water... we tend to end up paying for one or two TS meals oops and use up all our CS credits... it's all a matter of how you eat when you're on vacation...

gigi1313 said:
in a word: BUFFETS!!!!! :rotfl2:
Good idea. They could do 1900 Park Fare at GF, eat all the Prime Rib they can hold...and hang with Cindy to boot! :thumbsup2

i agree with gigi from long Island. WE just returned today and I think the dining plan is a no brainer. we are from NYC and i agree it depends of the way your family eats! I went w/ my husband 5yo son 3 yo daughter and we easily used the credits. I dont go on vacation to eat fast food, or to limit what i can eat in order to save money. We ate in Mcdonalds ever morning for a quick light breakfast, and by 1 or 2 we were ready for lunch, by 7 we were ready for dinner, and we ate better than we would have thanks to ddp.

"we "saved" approximately $4 Zillion" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: If you can save this much, just imagine what I can save on the 'free' dining plan! :woohoo:

"but I GUARANTEE you, we would not have spent that if homey had been paying the bill"

Now that was funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also dont think that we are saving that much money with the Dining Plan....I had already made all of our ADR's before it even came out. While we "may" be saving $200 - $300 (which is debatable as I tend to undercount the $ for the meals because I just choose to NOT look at the bottom line - haha) what we are gaining is the ability to allow all of us to order whatever we want without having to think about the $ and worrying that the kids will order something really expensive and not eat it. Also we never get to the desserts. We usually just order 2 appetizers for 6 of us. My husband and I have to watch over what our kids order otherwise we will be aggravated when we pay for a very expensive meal just to see them not eat enough of it. I FEEL SO FREE NOW!!!!

Please dont get me wrong and FLAME me - I am NOT encouraging food waste...my DH would not let that happen anyway (he eats everything left on everyones plate lol)...but if one of us orders a meal we dont care for or are still hungry (is that possible?!) then we STILL have dessert coming.

I thought I knew about all the character meals at WDW.....did I miss one?Where is it, what do they serve, and who is there?

frannn said:
I thought I knew about all the character meals at WDW.....did I miss one?Where is it, what do they serve, and who is there?

The Liberate Your Appetite Character Dinner is at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the Magic Kingdom. Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and "Friends" (Chip and Dale, maybe others?) appear there.

Food: DECLARATION SALAD - Tossed Mixed Greens, served with our special Tavern Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing

PATRIOT'S PLATTER - A generous serving of roasted turkey breast, carved beef, and boneless ham, accompanied with Tavern-made mashed potatoes, market vegetables, herb bread stuffing, and Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese.

Lots more info on AllEars.

I'm really confused about this free dining plan. In order to get this dining plan you have to pay the rack rate for the resort, correct? If that is the case, are you really saving that much money? Or do you make two separate resort ressies -- the rack rate for one night, and a disounted rate (AAA, AP, etc.) for the remainder.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out of this is worth it for us if it's offered the next time we plan to go--three adults, two children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter