Just back from Courtyard

Raysplus1

<font color=red>DIS-aholic<br><font color=blue>Tha
We just got back from the Courtyard by Marriott. We have a few complaints about the upkeep of the place. I asked for a room with a disney view the day before I arrived and then also told them again when we checked in. They had a room, but they said they needed 10 minutes to confirm that it was clean. So after 10 min. I came back and they said they needed 30 more minutes because they just started to clean the room. The whole process of check-in ended up being 1 hour and 15 minutes. When we arrived in our room the toilet bowl was not filling after flushing and the timer on the heat lamp would not shut off, which the maid would turn on everyday. The comforter had a few stains, and the room smelled like smoke. It was a non-smoking room.
The bus system worked fairly well, if we wanted to go to another resort we would walk to downtown disney for the proper bus. It seemed everytime we left the park the bus for the hotel was there waiting.

Unfortunately we found the same thing. Rooms were super cheap but we didn't want to spend anytime time there at all. I know the saying you get what you pay for, but we did expect better than what we got. Carpet was filthy, switch plates missing bathroom was still dirty. We went to front desk and was told the hotel was full and they couldn't put us any place else. If this was a Disney hotel, something would have benn done. Never again even at 29.00.

This just cracks me up. I posted similar feelings in a much gentler way a few months back when the great rates first came out. You wouldn't believe how upset people were with me for daring to say anything. Now I'm seeing these sentiments posted all the time with no challenges. What a difference a few months make! I'm with you. It just wasn't worth the savings to be in a dingy place!

We were lucky. It did take an hour to check in, but we were in our room one hour before check-in time anyway. We had room 807. Granted, it was plain as far as the furniture and decor, but it was very clean and everything worked. Believe me, I came armed with my cleaners after reading this board. We had a pool view, view of DD and fireworks at night. Definitely worth the 25.00 we paid. We had our own car, so that always helps. It was not AKL savannah (our original ressies), but we saved 500.00 on three nights. I guess it's hit or miss!

My room faced the front of the bldg. 3rd floor and when I stepped out onto the balcony had a lovely view of some roof below us. Very ugly and noisy. The mattress was so thin and the pillows were a joke. I had to call for more pillows. They were actually balled up inside the case. The room was clean and in good shape and since I was only staying one night I didn't complain. Other than the view and pillows, everything else was ok.

We just returned from the courtyard in down town Disney. Our previous stay was at the Carribean Beach resort in Disney. I have to say that we enjoyed the Courtyard more than the CBR. We also requested a room facing DD six weeks prior to our stay and we were told as I suspect everyone is told that they would accept our request but it wasn't a guarantee because more people request them than there are rooms available. We checked in at 3:45 and it took about 5 mins. I suspect that the people who had to wait arrived prior to the 4:00 check-in time, I find it hard to believe the maids stay into the evening cleaning rooms. They gave us a room without a balcony because all the ones they has left were smoking. When we requested a room change they said no problem but we would have to wait until the next day when one would be available. They moved all our stuff the next day while we were in the park to a room on the 11th floor with a balcony facing the parks. Both rooms were very clean with new carpets bedding and curtains. Nothing was broken missing or out of place. EVERYONE from the front desk to the maids and maintenence people were cheerful and pleasant to be around. We found the hotel and ammenities to be the best of the hotels we stayed in on the way down and back. We stayed in the Wynham Myrtle Beach Resort on the way back for two days. And if you want to talk about an alleged 4* hotel that needs a makeover believe me it was a dump compared to the Courtyard. Obviously we were very pleased and had read negative posts about it and I don't know what you are accustomed to but the courtyard rated very well with us. The rooms were very well appointed,larger than all but the luxury rooms in the Disney resorts, Clean. And judging from the 5 to 6 other names on the room move list, they move people who are not pleased without a problem. I just don't get the negative posts. We are talking about the Marriot Courtyard at Downtown Disney on Hotel Plaza Blvd. right? Also the person who complained about the smell of smoke in the room the FLOORS are clearly marked "NO SMOKING FLOOR" you can't fault the hotel if someone smokes where it's not permitted We saw evidence of ignorant smokers all over Disney who feel they have the right to smoke where ever they wish.
In conclusion, NO I do not work for Marriot. We just enjoyed that hotel and its ammenities so much I had to speak out. CBR is my comparison and it didn't have an exercise room, you had to call a cab to take you to the restaurant or pool, and I don't remember a hot tub. I do remember a very tiny room with a small bed not a king bed with a sofa a big TV and room to walk around! My 2 cents and honest opinion.

livsea2,
what you can't do is ignore the insight and experiences of lots of other DISer's. It is apparent that you lucked out by being given a renovated room. Apparently, not everyone else has been so lucky. The odds would be pretty good that the next time down, if you didn't request a certain room, you would not be as pleased. People don't just make up reports of old, broken, stained, torn, etc. I know our room was dingy.

I think Livesea2 is entitled to his/her opinion and is just giving a balanced view. I stayed at this hotel in August. I had a couple of small complaints but on the whole I was happy with my stay.
Tracy

Originally posted by Belle5
livsea2,
what you can't do is ignore the insight and experiences of lots of other DISer's. It is apparent that you lucked out by being given a renovated room. Apparently, not everyone else has been so lucky. The odds would be pretty good that the next time down, if you didn't request a certain room, you would not be as pleased. People don't just make up reports of old, broken, stained, torn, etc. I know our room was dingy.

I also agree with the previous poster (TracyK); I don't think livsea2 was ignoring anything, just giving a report of her experience. I think different people have different experiences. I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Courtyard WDW (Dec. 2-6). I was able to get the $29 rate- and was VERY pleased with the level of customer service, the cleanliness of the rooms, and the overall impression. Sure, it looks a bit dated, but our room (and actually we had 2 rooms, they kindly moved us for a Downtown Disney view) was very well maintained- no dirty carpets or blankets, everything in great working order. I thought the housekeeping was perfect. The front desk staff was very courteous and helpful. Heck, $29 a night, a fantastic location, a great view of the fireworks and DD, and a very clean and comfortable room- you can't beat it. I'm sorry that others have had less than a stellar experience there, but I don't think it's fair to assume that all DISer's will have the same experience. We had a great time!:D

zen and tracy,
What I was doing was trying to NOT assume that all DIS'ers have the same experience. What I saw was livsea saying that we who had a less than optimal experience must have stayed in a different hotel. I was trying to point out that-- no, the same hotel CAN provide two totally different experiences. It was I who was pointing out that everyone's opinion is valid. Livsea is the one who says she just doesn't get the negative posts. It was I who pointed out that there can be two different valid experiences happening. I apologize for not making my point more clearly.

We just returned from the Courtyard. We stayed Dec 8-13. We had a great time and the place was great. We had a tower room 809 facing DD Disney. We could see the fireworks in the parks at night, it was great. We needed a roll away the first night it was $10 but Ginny the lady that checked us in gave it to us at no charge. Also we wanted a refrigerator they were $6 a day no charge for that either. Buses where good, restaurant was good. They had a happy hour, the pools were heated, rooms were nice and clean. Nice gift shop. Very pleased and We would stay there again in a heart beat, in the tower only though.

We stayed at the DD Courtyard a couple years ago and Ginny also came to our rescue....if it is the same Ginny (mature lady, very friendly and customer service oriented). She took our ressies and kept us informed when we called asking ?? about all sorts of things. She was great. We liked the hotel and also found the transportation, on sight rest. fine. I was so disappointed when I heard negative reviews recently....because that was not what we had found at all.

I totally agree with you about Marriott. My family loved it!! It was clean and very nice. The nicest hotel we have been in. The only other place we have stayed was the AllStars. I liked them but thought the Marriott was more upscale and had larger rooms. We had room 1111 and 1112 and were very pleased. Our check in was 5 minutes also and a nice man helped my husband get all of our things in one trip. I realize that I can't compare it to any of the deluxe or even moderate resorts , but thought that the price we paid($29) was great and the bus service was as well. If we could get the same rate we would definately stay again. I don't know that I would pay 100 per night b/c we have to have 2 rooms or something for 6 people. Well, just thought I had to put in my 2 cents!

I too was a bit distressed to hear the negative reviews about the Courtyard before our stay Dec. 15-21, especially since I cancelled our reservation at CBR after getting the 29.00 rate. But, knowing that I hear good and poor reviews an all hotels, I tried to take a positive outlook. We checked in at 9 a.m. Our room was not ready, but I didn't expect it to be and Virgil at the hotel stored it for us. The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. When we returned that night after 9 p.m., our luggage was in our room waiting for us. We were put in the fifth floor of the tower. Our room was odor-free and very clean. The beds were comfortable and our pillows were not flat at all. Although we had no special requests other than a non-smoking room, we were given a room with a balcony and had a nice view of the surrounding area. The maid service was good during our stay, as our bathrooms were always clean when we returned and fresh towels, etc. were supplied. We walked to Downtown Disney several times during our stay. It took about 10 minutes, depending on how tired our kids were. The bus transportation was okay. It took us a couple of days to figure out what time buses came for different parks. I would stay at this hotel again with no hesitation, and hope that our next stay would yield the same positive results.

Are there more than one Marriott Courtyards in the Disney area? (in '96 (our trip we got engaged:D ) we stayed at one off of International Drive. It was pretty nice, nothing special but nice and I seem to remember paying 70-something a night. I know a lot of can happend in 5 years, but wondering if this could be a hotel people were talking about.

Just to let people know, I was not totally bad mouthing the hotel. If was bad enough of a place I would have went to another hotel after the first night. I was just pointing out that the room I was in needed to be updated. The toilet bowl not filling I repaired myself and the heat lamp not dialing down we would manually turn it back. The staff was very friendly and we were in our room only to sleep (we did not use the comforter). Other than that for $29 it was manageable.

We had two adjoining rooms at the CY 12/23 - 25 at the $25/nite rate. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and very tidy. We had requested non-smoking adjoining rooms. We did have a nice view of DTD as our rooms were on the 5th floor in the tower. I have to say I was more impressed with our rooms than the hallways, especially those in the back going out into the back parking lot. The glassed in elevators also seemed fine, but the rear one (which it took us two tries to determine didn't even goto the tower - LOL) did make some interesting & possibly disturbing noises. The breakfast buffet was one of the best food values of our trip. It was a GREAT BARGAIN in our opinion, but I probably would only stay in a tower room after looking over the place. WE did not use their bus service, but I did buy some discounted tickets for Disneyquest. All the staff was very friendly anc courteous. No complaints here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter