Just Back - All my questions answered

1st*toright

DIS Veteran
Just back from a June 5th - June 10th trip. We were first timers, and I was so glad I had the benefit of the Dis's collective experience when I was planning! A big thank you to all for sharing your knowledge.

What I learned (finally got answers to some of the eternal Disney questions):
1) Disney in the rain is still totally fun - we are definitely in the "pull on a poncho and keep trucking" camp.
2) Pandora really is super cool - during the day, at night, in the rain, it is really beautiful. We were lucky to be in AK on a rainy day, and only waited an hour in standby for FOP - our only significant wait all trip. Totally worth it, esp. since we were walking pretty constantly through most of the queue, and the theming is amazing. Did NRJ twice - FP and standby (~15 mins) and enjoyed it a lot. Not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if I had waited an hour for it.
3) Keens are good shoes for Disney, at least for the first 18,000 steps, even when wet. The next 8,000 steps, however, were blister city for me. Fortunately my kids' feet were fine (and I had sneakers to wear the next few days).
4) MY 4 year old did not need a stroller - and I'm glad we didn't have to lug one. Of course, I still can't help anyone else make the decision about whether or not to get one :goodvibes
5) Rider swap worked well for us - 4 year old is tall (over 44"), and doesn't like going fast (did 7DMT with us at rope drop, but didn't want to go on when we had our FP). We got RS for Space and BTMRR - we just asked for them, they never measured the kid.
6) The DXDP worked well for us - lots of splitting meals (and making up the credits on signatures), skipping dessert, and we were well fed, but not stuffed. Haven't run the numbers yet to see if we came out "ahead" or not cost wise, but I'm pretty sure we did. We especially enjoyed 2 TS lunches where we sat in comfy air conditioning and looked out the window at everyone scurrying around in a downpour. Not sure we will do it again - we might not do as many character meals next time, so the $$$ probably would work in our favor.
7) We are totally going back - DH was a Disney skeptic before we went, but he gets it now. You know its a good trip when as soon as you get back everyone is talking about what we would do next time.

So glad you had great trip. You learned 1 great lesson, even a rainy day at Disney is a great day!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear what first timers think

Glad you had a great trip, and were able to do so even with (what sounds like) lots of rain.

For us, rain is a major downer at WDW. If I could have no rain while on our WDW vacations, I would choose that option every time.

Dan

Sounds like you totally get it, love that you did your research on your first time!! Glad you all had a great time!

I've been through the usual Florida afternoon storms, but I've been lucky enough not to encounter a whole-day downpour. How do people deal with wet ponchos once they are inside and on rides? Do you just wear them all the way through?

I've been through the usual Florida afternoon storms, but I've been lucky enough not to encounter a whole-day downpour. How do people deal with wet ponchos once they are inside and on rides? Do you just wear them all the way through?
yup. it gets a little messy, but hey, you are at Disney!

We had plastic bags to stick our ponchos in when we weren't using them - we would pull them off when we were under shelter waiting for/doing rides most of the time.

Glad you had a fun trip! When you go back, get a product called body glide. Put it all over your feet in the morning before you put shoes on. By all over, I mean everywhere your shoe could possibly touch your foot (before issuing it, I got blisters in some strange places on my feet at Disney). There should be no more blisters. I am very blister prone and got them every time we went to Disney. I learned about body glide on these boards and haven't had a blister at Disney since- and that has been years ago. We are open to close in the parks people too. I also use it at home when I get a new pair of shoes (which used to always give me blisters) or just anytime I will be walking a lot.

Sounds like a great first time, and more to come. Watch out and you might be joining the DVC club too.
Although you did not have a stroller, we loved ours for storing things during the day. Girls are older now, so back packs it is.
Many happy planning in the future

Glad you had a great time! Your reviews of Pandora give me hope that I'm not going to have to spend my entire AK day in line.

I loved hearing how much you appreciate all you learned from reading the advice on these boards. I learn something new here every day! Like you, I return from one trip thinking about the next! Thanks for sharing your experience.

So glad you had a great trip! The Disboards were a huge help for our first trip too! So much great information on here that I felt very prepared and, sure enough, even in a downpour on our MNSSHP night, we pulled on our ponchos and kept trucking! Love your post!!

Glad you had a great time, we arrived same time and are here for a bit more still....I feel so bad for first timers and people who visit rarely as there has been SO. MUCH. RAIN. but it is true! You can have a great time even when weather does not cooperate.

My daughter and I also encountered a terrible day of rain at MK. We had ponchos and moved along, went on many rides with no wait, and got lucky to have lunch at BOG!!! She kept asking why everyone was standing around underneath overhangs and in stores doing nothing instead of going in and on rides that were running! LOL Once the sun came out we were reading for round two!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter