Just added on 300 pts at OKW direct with Disney at $135 per point thru 2057. Added magical beginnings and that reduced the price to $115 per point.

My guide is off till Monday. Anyone talk to their guide recently to get official confirmation on if they are still having this good OKW direct promotion.

My guide is off till Monday. Anyone talk to their guide recently to get official confirmation on if they are still having this good OKW direct promotion.
My guide confirmed they were about still offering it about four days ago. He confirmed a Feb use year is still available, too (which is my use year).

They are still selling OKW direct, but the promotion discount is not as good as it was earlier this week.

They are still selling OKW direct, but the promotion discount is not as good as it was earlier this week.
What has changed beyond the 249 point cap? My guide didn’t mention anything about changes to the deal specifically (at lower point levels).

Yeah they probably won't change anything with the current list as I said. They would be more likely to stop adding in future resorts if they make them for the trust. That's the most likely change I could see, though even with that there would definitely be an uproar. It just depends if they think that would make them more money in the long run. Who know? Or they could specify for new resorts that direct points only from certain resorts can book it, etc (no OKWe or SSR for example)

A massive amount of direct OKWe points will probably be fine, I'm just saying they could change it if they want to.

No one can predict the future, but the scenarios you describe are beyond credible. The liability from a class action DVC owner lawsuit would render these scenarios unthinkable from a business perspective. I do this for a living.

But hey! Your crystal ball is as good as mine!

We are looking at a 150 point contract at OKW under the current promotion, but as we don’t live in the US aren’t eligible for Magical Beginnings. Is the “developer’s credit” referred to on some DVC sites just another way of referring to the basic discount? Does anyone know what the best rate is at the moment for a 150 point contract for non-US residents? Is it just the $165 per point?

Are you Canadian? Do you like cruises?

You can rent out your points and consider a swap for a cruise. It’s non-taxable as an exchange, but magical beginnings and renting points are both taxable. Hence why you cannot out of country, it’s too complicated as a taxable benefit for Disney to bother.

Something likely not being accounted for correctly when people are reporting their magical beginnings price per point? But then I also imagine there might be some non-reporting.

Edit- I see you’re UK based. I think you can still swap with the rental programs, but it would be a US based cruise reservation. Not a cruise in the US, but one booked in USD.

No one can predict the future, but the scenarios you describe are beyond credible. The liability from a class action DVC owner lawsuit would render these scenarios unthinkable from a business perspective. I do this for a living.

But hey! Your crystal ball is as good as mine!
My crystal ball looks pretty dark has an 8 on it and says "future unclear, try again later" lol

It's been talked about before that they are pretty clear that they can choose whether a resort gets put into the BVTC if you search for BVTC or "only thing guaranteed." So I don't think they would get sued if they stopped adding resorts. But like I said it's unlikely that they do it, but who knows. They could.

Anyways, you'll have your pick of any unbooked room in the whole catalog come 7 months, so I think you'll do just fine lol, especially if you are flexible like you said

I have very very very slim hopes that they might extend one 5-15 years to raise capital to pay for the other, and then let the first one renovated/rebuilt sell out before bringing the other to market…but I believe @Sandisw suggested that instead they could move them to a joint trust and do construction in various stages by sell it all upfront?

That is exactly how I understand it. They remain owner of the properties so Feb 1st, 20242 they can declare into the trust and still access to them.

Now, I do think y they’d probably want them to have some level of soft goods. But do like the cabins…add certain units and sell with an opening date a few months later and then as they renovate, more are added. Which is what is going on with the cabins in a way b

Actually, after thinking about it, I would be worried that Disney will eventually make changes to how points can be exchanged at 7 months. The only thing that is guaranteed to you is the ability to book at your home resort. Anything else can be changed or removed by Disney. Having all of my points at a resort that I don't want to stay at could be a gamble.

If newer resorts fail to sell well I could see them changing something with the 7 month exchange. Maybe limit it to your total number of points and only every other year. Maybe even removing the ability to do it from certain cheaper resorts or hamstringing it in another way if they lean into the trust concept in the future.

Everything is based in the DVC resort agreement as part of BVTC.

So, they have the power to choose the trading window..it could become less than 7 months…but what I don’t believe they can do is make different rules for points eligible to trade.

With the restricted resorts, they could because of the way those resorts entered and why they grandfathered resale prior to 2019.

But, if you buy resale points that can trade, then direct points should have to have the same trading rules.

My crystal ball looks pretty dark has an 8 on it and says "future unclear, try again later" lol

It's been talked about before that they are pretty clear that they can choose whether a resort gets put into the BVTC if you search for BVTC or "only thing guaranteed." So I don't think they would get sued if they stopped adding resorts. But like I said it's unlikely that they do it, but who knows. They could.

Anyways, you'll have your pick of any unbooked room in the whole catalog come 7 months, so I think you'll do just fine lol, especially if you are flexible like you said

Just to clarify, any resort that DVD wants to develop doesn’t have to be added to BVTC, but unless they want to become a location specific timeshare that is unlikely. It’s no longer would be considered a multi site timeshare program.

So, thst is pretty much the only way that direct points will ever not be included.

However, if the resort you own is removed from BVTC…and there are pretty detailed reasons they can do that…then yes, no more trading

I am signing contracts for another 1000 points at $95 per point - no cheaper price in the last 20 years to get direct points. People keep saying they don’t want OKW, or to be stuck at OKW… that comment is irrelevant to me because I can be flexible with short term booking options. With enough points I can book cabins, bungalows, grand villas and 1 bd room villas at lots of places even 7 months out or less - I doubt I will ever stay at OKW.
A quarter of a million dollars on Disney in one month! I am stunned!

You will certainly be able to take a lot of nice Disney trips in the next 33 years!

Ugh, we just bit the bullet too 😆. But we LOVE Old Key West, even our teen. He calls it “Old Key Best”. So, being “stuck” there is kind of the point for us. I can’t imagine getting a better deal on direct at this junction so it seems like a good move for unrestricted SAP going forward. 90% of our points are grandfathered in and unrestricted, but we only use them at home resorts and don’t have a lot of leeway with “extra” points, so this seems like the way to ensure that for the next 30 years or so!

I am curious, never stayed in a one-bedroom, only a studio and upcoming stay in a 2-bedroom so we could invite more people.

Sometimes I think about adding on points so I can stay in a one-bedroom. But then I look at the points for a one-bedroom vs. a studio, and I just can't stomach it. It is more than double the points! At least for Riviera... I feel like if I added on, I would end up taking more/longer trips in a studio rather than spending more points for a one-bedroom.

What is it about the one-bedroom that you love and makes it worth that many points? Is it just the laundry? Do you spend a lot of time in the room? Am i just cheap?? (Probably, yes)
Yes, i agree i haven't stayed in a 1Bd yet either, & i hate that it is double!! (2bd coming later this year tho, so we'll see how that goes. lol)

Hey Chrionne! If not being too nosey, were the 300 points for one contract or 2, etc.? And what use year?
I was wondering if they got split up at all, did that get answered somewhere?

A similar thing just happened to me at CCV; our 2br VGF room was unavailable so they moved us to a cabin at CCV. We fell in love with the resort, and the cabin, and we got home and purchased a CCV contract. Never accept an upgrade, it will cost you! 😂😆
Nice!! I wonder how often that kind of upgrade happens?

I don’t think there will ever be a serious crunch for the Grand Villas, Bungalows, etc… so having a Jeff Bezos sized war chest of points insulates the owner significantly more from lockout risk than people who only have enough points for a studio or who are counting on a bank/borrow strategy.
So i'm gonna need more points is what you're saying?? ;)

I actually already switched my plan to be near a 1bd every other year, for just that reason, could do 2 studios, or just a 1bd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter