Juneteenth set to become a federal holiday in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for and informative and respectful reply. It is appreciated.

It's such a shame that so many people took offence to my question. I only heard about this the other day and didn't know what the date was and I didn't take the time to look it up. Sorry I'm not as perfect as some on this thead...
In addition to what Heigh-ho said, there was a link to an article with an explanation of what it is in the first paragraph. It would have taken you one click, less time than it probably took to type your reply.
To me it was that, plus the tone.

You are not improving it with a passive-agressive apology, you could also say 'sorry, I could have googled that myself before replying'.

Honestly, I don't know a single black friend that celebrates Kwanzaa.

I think Juneteenth is more (and will be more) important to our black community than Kwanzaa. I believe it will be celebrated widely, especially now that it is a federal holiday.
Same here, I am from a city that is 87% black, in a county that is 70% black. Kwanzaa is kind of a joke to folks there. I would bet 99% of folks never heard of Juneteenth until the past year or so.

People got upset because you called it a 'so-called' holiday. Not about being perfect, not about having not heard about it before. Not everyone has heard of the date, the meanings it has and more but few will approach it with a more 'is this a fluff holiday?' feeling.

You may have not meant anything by it perhaps thinking it was like some 'national donut day' or something like that but I can see how your wording would bring out responses especially because it was a Federal holiday created (which takes a lot to do so).
People look for anything and everything to be offended by these days. I rolled my eyes at the first person to point out her faux pas and thought, "here we go."

People look for anything and everything to be offended by these days. I rolled my eyes at the first person to point out her faux pas and thought, "here we go."
I agree sometimes things get amplified when they didn't have to be :flower3: but I disagree on this one. It came off dismissive (even if honest curiosity was there) though I won't say I was offended. They may not have intended that (which is why I felt I needed to add that on my response to them) but none the less there was quite a consensus here (and that's saying something for this forum). I doubt the response would have gotten much other than the date if all the question was 'what date is it' but adding in 'so-called holiday' turns the conversation into something else. The disrespect seen is because of the significance behind it and changes the perception of the addition of 'so-called' into a dismissive nature.

I'm really trying to give benefit of the doubt here but I see and agree with the other side too.

20 years ago, yeah. Now, not so much. All of our local places, like grocery stores, that used to do that, do not anymore. On a personal level, this does not affect me at all. I work in one of those places that does not give people holidays off(except for Christmas Day) and we sure as heck don't get any extra money for working on holidays. In fact, they even block them off so you can't take any holidays off. We don't celebrate holidays because there is no point. My hubby gets many of them off, but I usually have to work and if I don't even get something like the 4th of July off, there sure as heck are not going to give us June 19th off. Holidays are just an annoyance at this point.

the last time I worked retail was only15 yrs ago and I got double or time and a half

I wonder why they stopped doing that

I can understand why so many have no clue what Juneteenth is. As I said, it’s really a Texas specific holiday. Outside of Texas, I wouldn’t expect anyone to know much about it.

I can understand why so many have no clue what Juneteenth is. As I said, it’s really a Texas specific holiday. Outside of Texas, I wouldn’t expect anyone to know much about it.
My boss, who is Black, told me it is a big holiday for her family in Detroit. Bigger than the 4th of July.

Our company just made it an official holiday, so I am covering her work so she can celebrate with her family.

It wasn't made on the 4th, it didn't become our thing on the 4th. The date was put in there and stuck in official documents when they were sent forth. There's dispute on the date of when it was actually signed (I've usually seen in August). The vote and technical separation was July 2nd.

4th of July is what we observe as our date of independence.
July 4 is the date it was adopted as worded as a joint resolution of the continental congress. Hancock was the only signature and only Thomson was present. The fancy printed copies we are familiar with came later. They couldn't just go to the copier and churn out 100 copies in 10 minutes like we can today. Only Hancock and Thomson's signatures first appeared on copies sent to each of the 13 colonies and on the copy sent to England. Most signed it in August but some signed it later and others, including one of the people that drafted it, never signed it.
"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America" John Adams.
D'OH!!!!

It's such a shame that so many people took offence to my question. I only heard about this the other day and didn't know what the date was and I didn't take the time to look it up. Sorry I'm not as perfect as some on this thead...

When you put "so called" in front of something it means you don't think it's legit to call it such. Hence why people took offense. I just figured that some people might not know what it was. The name Juneteenth does't really give anyone a clue what we're celebrating any more than Cinco De Mayo or 4th of July does. You have to otherwise know.

I worked at Macy's until 2012, we got time and a half for Sundays and holidays.

If we were off the Holiday, we got our Holiday pay. If we worked it we got time and a half for working plus the Holiday pay. That's probably a thing of the past though.

Man, people will complain about everything.
Well that is how it goes. If they're against it, they'll find something to torpedo it. And if they think being against it is bad optics, they'll claim well I'm all for it but....... insert excuses that they don't think are bad optics. The thing is, well it's a Holiday now whether they like it or not. So I'm not going to let them dampen my spirit.

It's like my MIL when we went out to eat.

Where do you want to go.
OH ANYWHERE IS FINE.....
What about X
Too greasy
What about Y
Too loud.
What about Z
Too health nut
What about W
Not loud enough.
Me getting wise. What about (names her favorite place)
SURE!!!

That's the only place she'd accept all along but she didn't want the bad optics of saying so. So instead she found a way to torpedo what she didn't want that she didn't think was the bad optics of demanding to go to her place no matter what anyone else might want.

Last edited:
If they don't outright give them June 19 off a whole holiday won't be lost. It'll just be changed.
My company took away Veterans Day when MLK day became a holiday. That was a big change and meant I now had to save and take a vacation day to celebrate Veterans Day with my Dad. I am sure my company will take away another holiday for this change. I wish they would just switch to "floating holidays" instead, that way people can take the day(s) that works best for them and their families.

My daughter who graduated from college in May 2020 has worked retail quite recently, and she LOVED "time-and-a-half" on holidays.

I am glad some places still give it. Not many still do that where I live unfortunately.

If you work a company holiday (assuming you're 'exempt' or 'hourly'), you should get paid double time.

8 hours "holiday" pay.
8 hours "work" pay

If you don't work a company holiday, you should just get the 8 hours "holiday" pay.

Obviously companies can choose to pay more.

It’s about time! We should all be happy about this as it IS a part of our history. Why anybody would be upset by it is strange to me.

I agree with you. I just don't think some Army soldiers reading a proclamation in Texas really changed the course of history. I don't care if people celebrate it, but the MLK holiday is much more meaningful to me.

All due respect, it doesn’t really matter which one is more meaningful to you.

It was 100% your response and nothing about being perfect. There are plenty on here who said they hadn’t heard of it before, but the difference was they took the time to at least learn the basics before commenting. The link was right there for you. So this isn’t one you can spin on to others.

Being disrespectful often brings offense. It wasn’t a faux pas - it was on purpose. Some people will defend anything though, even when it’s clearly wrong.

Last edited:
I'm Canadian who spends very little time in the USA and I've heard of this holiday. There is no reason an American should claim ignorance about not knowing what it is.

Just because you have heard of it before just recently doesn’t mean everyone here in the US has. Our country like many others (even your with the recent discovery of children’s bodies being discovered at a school to ‘civilize native people) , tend to brush bad stuff under the rug until someone stumbles upon it or just ignores certain things.
For example: The movie Hidden Figures: I partially grew up where women were part of NASA at Langley and it was NEVER mentioned in school. Why? Because women back then and more so women of color were thought of as “less then” and white men took all the credit for sending up things and men into space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter