Journey to getting healthy and hopefully the Princess Half 2012

Michele325

Mouseketeer
My name is Michele. My overall goals are to loose weight, get healthy, and run the Princess Half in 2012. We are a Disney crazy family. Pretty much all our vacations revolve around Disney. So glad someone introduced me to the W.I.S.H. boards. Hopefully this journal will help me achieve my goals.

First on running: In May 2008 I watched my oldest in 3rd grade run a 5k as part of Girls on the Run. DH had to do it with her, there was no way I could even walk 3 miles. I was determined to get back in shape. I started by walking. Working up to 2 miles. By August I found c25k. I officially graduated in Nov 2008. I ran that 5k with my DD in 2009 and 2010. After several stops and starts I started Jan 2011 recommitted and have been on the treadmill 3 times a week since the beginning of 2011. I found I love the Galloway running program. I am back up to 30 minutes (1 minute run/1 minute walk) on monday and wed and 2.5 miles run/walk on fridays. I also walk extra with a goal of 60 minutes total on the treadmill. My running goals are:
1- Running the Castaway Cay 5k on our upcoming Disney Dream cruise in April. I have wanted to do this 2 other times and didn't.
2- Race for the Cure in May and hopefully do it faster than last year
3 - Start increasing distance of long runs in the summer

Weight loss/ eating healthier: I have been slowly gaining weight 1 pound a week or so. Time to put a stop to it! A week ago I started the South Beach Diet. So far I feel great. I have only lost 1-2 pounds, but I feel so much better starting to get rid of my sugar/carb cravings. My goals are:
1 - loose 8-10 pounds by March 30 when we leave on our Disney Dream cruise!
2 - keep on my eating plan while on the cruise, while enjoying myself!
3 - continue to eat better and loose weight when I return.
4 - 20 pounds and then maintain this for a while.

Here's to a great 2011!

Well I really really don't want to get on the treadmill this morning. I went to be way too late and and had to get up real early. I am exhausted. I also am a bit frustrated with my diet. I need to start writing down what I eat more. And I need to stop weighing myself twice a day. Weigh in will be friday mornings. And I will get on that treadmill in a few minutes. Here is the menu for today:
B - eggs and cheese omelet, V8
S - coffee with 8oz milk at noon
L - still havent decided
S - nuts
D - McD or Wendy's salad
S - coolwhip and cheese

Ok, so I did it. I did the treadmill anyway. I limited myself to 30 minutes and warm up and cool down (38 minutes versus my usual 45). But I am glad I did. Hopefully I still feel good about it in a few hours. Still have to work on my menu for the day.

I have decided to seriously think about doing the Princess Half in 2012. That should keep me motivated on my running. I am up to almost 3 miles M/w and 3.5 for my long run on Friday. I will try to maintain at 4 miles then decide how to get longer. I need to get longer very slowly or my body rebels on me with injury. So I have to talk it really slow. Also, in the summer with the kids home and then in the fall with all the beginning of school stuff (my youngest will still be half days) I have a really hard time keeping up with exercise. HOpefully having a feb goal will help.

Now with the South Beach Diet. I am just doing okay. Lost 2.5 pounds, but seem to have stalled. I realized I am not truly doing phase one because I have a few things with added sugar (but I am not having cravings) and higher fat a day. So I guess my weight loss would be slower. I want to list all the things I am having that I shouldn't be: coffee mate once a day (5g sugar), vanilla yogurt versus plan (adds 10g sugar), full fat cheese (about twice a day), full fat sausage for breakfast some days, honey ham instead of regular, and my serving of fruit in my V8. So I guess I am already in phase 1.25.

Today I ran 3 miles (total 3.62) on the treadmill. That might be the first time I have ever done that. Diet is going great (down 4.5 pounds) and I still feel fantastic. I started phase 2 yesterday. Adding strawberries to lunch and today a clemintine to morning snack (with ham). Definitely thinking ahead to the Princess Half. Current goal is to get up to 4 miles total before our Disney trip, run the castaway 5k, then Race for the cure in May, and continue building millage to do a 10k in Sept. Weight goal is to be down 10 pounds by the cruise (might not make it), then a few days of lower carbs when we get back, then work on 15, then 20. And stay there for a while.

It has been a really long time since I wrote in this journal. I wanted to post an update them get back to posting. Diet went really well on the disney trip and cruise, and I was down 3 pounds and ran the 5k (38 minutes!). I have since stalled on the diet front. I am trying to pick back up on the south beach diet this week.
I am doing great with the running though. This sat is my first 10K! Really nervous about it, but I am on track to run the Princess Half in Feb. Haven't made any reservations yet though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter