JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just HAD to 'steal' this one from daannzzz:

File0006.jpg

THANKS SO MUCH, daannzzz! :thumbsup2

Originally Posted by DisTeach1
I have a question about "Arusha Rock" view? Can that be bad? Like would I be looking out at a rock? I had Uzima before, which I loved. I would like Arusha Savanahh but don't really want to look out over a rock!

I can answer this. :) If you saw my post before, that was the picture. We stayed on the fifth floor on the Arusha savannah. I have a few more pictures I need to post. I don't want to overload it. :goodvibes

just wanted to say good day to all and again tx for all the valuable insight and expertise that everybody brings to this thread it has proved invaluable in helping me plan our familys vacation, no matter how many guide books i have read (read pretty much all of them) i still have learned a great deal about the akl and all that it has to offer from the great folks here, again tx

WHEW!!! I finally got thru all 190 pages of posts....I laughed, I cried...well, no, actually I didn't, but somewhere around page 50 I decided to switch our ressies from ASMo to AKL, thanks to the Wild Bunch. :thumbsup2

I must say this thread has been a great distraction for me. In November, my FIL fell off a ladder and broke his neck at work. He then developed pnemonia after the surgery, which followed with a massive heart attack. Fast forward 7 months and he was still on a feeding tube and living in a rehab home along with my MIL, who fell 6 weeks ago and shattered BOTH her femurs after she fell at home (she was there alone when it happened and layed for several hours before she could drag herself to the phone to call 911).

Last week Thursday morning my FIL fell and hit his head. By evening they sent him to the ER, not because of the fall, but because he had almost no blood pressure (duh, no wonder he fell!). By Friday we had to put him on life support, and later had to make the decision to remove him from it on Saturday after his feet "died" and kidney failure set in, along with the severe pnemonia, mersa, septic shock and completely blocked artery. He couldn't breathe without the respirator and his blood pressure bottomed out every time they changed the IV which was keeping his heart beating (but it was also shutting down the rest of him). The next night, Father's Day, he passed away.

I'm the inlaw's power of attorney, and actually they are my EX in-laws, as I divorced their son 6 years ago when I caught him cheating on me (and later found out he was stealing and had a drug & alcohol problem). They still consider me family, and don't trust him, which is why they asked me to be POA. Their daugter lives over 2000 miles away so I'm the only real family they have in the area.

So it's been a LONG two weeks for me. Thanks to your posts I can "escape" the reality of sickness & death for a few minutes each day and plan for my now very well deserved vacation in September with my DD.

And Bob, YOU ARE THE MAN!!! You give me hope that there are still NICE GUYS out there!

AKLGoofy said:
And so our story begins....

Some time ago someone had evinced an interest in seeing when I let Susan know where we were going for our 10th anniversary. Here's a couple shots I took last night when I "sprung" it on her. I think I've found a place to host a website when I get back so I can put up the complete tale and all photos and will come here to post a link for everyone.

Here's the photos (I hope):

The Layout

116166ears.jpg

And, "The Look"

116166first_sight.jpg

We leave Sunday morning. Last minute details have been "tweaked" yet again by the famous Don & Co. and everything seems to be in place. I will cross my fingers now and hope for no hurricanes...

Bob

Wow Bob, Susan certainly does look surprised and excited. :thumbsup2 You are a GREAT husband, she is going to have the trip of a lifetime. Thank you for sharing her reaction. I feel like I am enjoying your trip right along with you.

Angel paw: paw: paw: < Animal Kingdom Paw-prints. :)

shyjade said:
WHEW!!! I finally got thru all 190 pages of posts....I laughed, I cried...well, no, actually I didn't, but somewhere around page 50 I decided to switch our ressies from ASMo to AKL, thanks to the Wild Bunch. :thumbsup2

I must say this thread has been a great distraction for me. In November, my FIL fell off a ladder and broke his neck at work. He then developed pnemonia after the surgery, which followed with a massive heart attack. Fast forward 7 months and he was still on a feeding tube and living in a rehab home along with my MIL, who fell 6 weeks ago and shattered BOTH her femurs after she fell at home (she was there alone when it happened and layed for several hours before she could drag herself to the phone to call 911).

Last week Thursday morning my FIL fell and hit his head. By evening they sent him to the ER, not because of the fall, but because he had almost no blood pressure (duh, no wonder he fell!). By Friday we had to put him on life support, and later had to make the decision to remove him from it on Saturday after his feet "died" and kidney failure set in, along with the severe pnemonia, mersa, septic shock and completely blocked artery. He couldn't breathe without the respirator and his blood pressure bottomed out every time they changed the IV which was keeping his heart beating (but it was also shutting down the rest of him). The next night, Father's Day, he passed away.

I'm the inlaw's power of attorney, and actually they are my EX in-laws, as I divorced their son 6 years ago when I caught him cheating on me (and later found out he was stealing and had a drug & alcohol problem). They still consider me family, and don't trust him, which is why they asked me to be POA. Their daugter lives over 2000 miles away so I'm the only real family they have in the area.

So it's been a LONG two weeks for me. Thanks to your posts I can "escape" the reality of sickness & death for a few minutes each day and plan for my now very well deserved vacation in September with my DD.

And Bob, YOU ARE THE MAN!!! You give me hope that there are still NICE GUYS out there!

shyjade :welcome: to the Jambo thread. We are glad to have you here. :grouphug: I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-laws passing. I'm so gald that we have all been able to give you a little reprive from your reality. If you have any questions please jump right in and ask them. There is a lot of AKL experience here. I hope you and your DD have a great well deserved vacation in September :goodvibes

dm220 said:
just wanted to say good day to all and again tx for all the valuable insight and expertise that everybody brings to this thread it has proved invaluable in helping me plan our familys vacation, no matter how many guide books i have read (read pretty much all of them) i still have learned a great deal about the akl and all that it has to offer from the great folks here, again tx

.....glad to be of service :thumbsup2 ! THAT'S what this thread is all about - and THEN SOME.... :teeth: !!

Oh My Gosh! I love the Animal Kingdom, exept I had an issue...

After coming home from a busy day at Disney, we came back to the hotel, as soon a we flicked on the lights, a big nasty cockroach moved on the wall. We were asstoniched, but we delt with it. People say their common in Florida, but, we brought it to the front desk and the guy said "This is the Animal Kingdom!"

How rude, yeah it is, but it's not the bug kingdom

We wrote Disney a letter and they mailed us 50 Disney Dollars, I think they fired the man, we included a name and description.

That we very nice of Disney World. Don't you think. Not nice of the man!

I am so darn excited...we leave tonight!!Our flight is at midnight.... :cool1:

NO MORE SLEEPS...at least none at home! :Pinkbounc

I have one last thing to do and hoping somebody can answer quickly...I want to order some groceries, water etc, and BEER....I see garden grocer doesn't do alcohol...so does anybody have a better idea?

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your well-wishes. I probably should have posted the picture of the fully opened suitcase as there is lots more "stuff" in the other side (Cool-wraps, ponchos, "MouseKeeping" tip envelopes, walkie-talkies in case we get seperated, etc.).

I'm really interested in those mini-fans as well. Found a reference to those on another thread here and tracked them down online. The resevoir is a bit small, but I'm sure there are plenty of places to fill them up.

Actually, what Susan was most surprised about was the fact that she thought she might be able to make the ears fit! As you can probably tell, she'll need some bobby pins as she has that really thick, full red hair. But, since she has to wear them to get on the plane, I'm sure she'll work it out!

Remember, she has no idea where she's going to be staying or what she'll be doing (the limo driver has been primed not to give anything away and Don & Co. are not putting an itinerary in our welcome package). As you may remember, we lived in FL for 10 years and had our fill of "day trips" prior to the Animal Kingdom opening and that is the one place she hasn't been to see. We never stayed overnight, either, so hopefully the immersive experience will be something to put this completely over the top for her.

I'll get something posted for all you nice folks as soon as possible after we get back. Keep your fingers crossed for no hurricanes!

Bob

stephwynn- maybe i can help with this one..,have you checked out http://wegoshop.com/ ? we used them last year, and were able to have them pick up beer....they shop where you want, and get exactly what you ask for...overall, it was a pretty good experience for us, so maybe this will work for you...good luck.... :)

shyjade said:

....I DON'T CARE IF IT IS OFF-TOPIC - IT'S GONNA BE SAID ANYHOO:

Oh, you poor dear, my heart certainly goes out to you...sheesh, when it rains, it POURS! Onto a sunny day, a little rain must fall - I hope that the 'pendulum' of good fortune sweeps the other way for you...I, for one, (and I am sure that my 'WildBunch' sistas will agree) am glad that there is banter and ZEBRA-DOME talk on this thread for folks like yourself, who just need a bit of 'escape-ism' and to be whisked away to the magic of WDW.....prayers and :pixiedust: your way..... :rolleyes: God Bless you and your family....

I really hope that cm did not get fired.

i<3disney70 said:
We wrote Disney a letter and they mailed us 50 Disney Dollars, I think they fired the man, we included a name and description.

shyjade...sounds like you have really been through a tough time...kudos to you for keeping yourself strong and making it through everything with a great spirit...i wish the best for you and your DD!!

You might try wegoshop.com. I have never used them, but I have read alot of good reviews. I am so jealous that you will be at AKL tonight :Pinkbounc Have a great time, look forward to reading your report & seeing some pictures :thumbsup2

stephwynn said:
I am so darn excited...we leave tonight!!Our flight is at midnight.... :cool1:

NO MORE SLEEPS...at least none at home! :Pinkbounc

I have one last thing to do and hoping somebody can answer quickly...I want to order some groceries, water etc, and BEER....I see garden grocer doesn't do alcohol...so does anybody have a better idea?

Thanks!

John's Mom said:
Kimmar,

The "THEN SOME" is what really makes this thread so special!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Right on!

Kimmar how is the trip planning coming for you? BTW way to go on 11K :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter