Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Question about Jambo, is regular housekeeping happening again? Or can I request housekeeping at least every other day?

Question about Jambo, is regular housekeeping happening again? Or can I request housekeeping at least every other day?
I’m here currently. There is a sign in our room that says “your room will receive a light cleaning service every other day”. As in, they will empty trash and refresh towels, but you can of course contact housekeeping if you need anything else.

I’m here currently. There is a sign in our room that says “your room will receive a light cleaning service every other day”. As in, they will empty trash and refresh towels, but you can of course contact housekeeping if you need anything else.

Thank you!

So, this is our first time renting points. This is definitely not a complaint, but a question because I have no idea what’s normal. Is there a “normal” time for rooms to be ready? Im sure they’re short staffed. We did online checkin for 1pm, but I know that’s never a guarantee. Like I said, not upset, more curious when we’ll get to shower since we started this morning in the car at 4am :rotfl2:

So, this is our first time renting points. This is definitely not a complaint, but a question because I have no idea what’s normal. Is there a “normal” time for rooms to be ready? Im sure they’re short staffed. We did online checkin for 1pm, but I know that’s never a guarantee. Like I said, not upset, more curious when we’ll get to shower since we started this morning in the car at 4am :rotfl2:
Checkin time for DVC resorts is 4 PM, and the resort staff tries to have rooms ready by then or shortly after. But many of us can report that more than once we’ve waited until 5, 6, even 7 PM, and there are reports of waiting even later. OTOH, we’re not the only ones whose rooms have been ready at 9 or 10 in the morning or in the early afternoon. IOW, it’s impossible to predict and depends on how many people are checking out today and how fast Housekeeping can clean those rooms. Good luck!.

Checkin time for DVC resorts is 4 PM, and the resort staff tries to have rooms ready by then or shortly after. But many of us can report that more than once we’ve waited until 5, 6, even 7 PM, and there are reports of waiting even later. OTOH, we’re not the only ones whose rooms have been ready at 9 or 10 in the morning or in the early afternoon. IOW, it’s impossible to predict and depends on how many people are checking out today and how fast Housekeeping can clean those rooms. Good luck!.
Thanks! Just got the ready text! So excited!

Is AKL worth staying at if we just book a standard room? It's nearly double for savanna view and just can't justify that cost when we spend so much time at the parks/pools.

Is AKL worth staying at if we just book a standard room? It's nearly double for savanna view and just can't justify that cost when we spend so much time at the parks/pools.

A couple of things......First, there is more to a resort than just the view of the room. Decide what things are important to you and select a resort accordingly, e.g do you want a feature pool? hot tubs? Sit-down dining? proximity to parks? (This applies if you are trying to decide between resorts/resort categories) Second, the last time I stayed at AKL, I booked a standard room and got a room with a view of the savanna (3341). There are a lot of the AKL rooms that are coded as Std, but have some kind of view. You can see this if you go to a site like T0uring Pl@ns and look at their room finder. You can certainly put in a room request, recognizing that it may not be honored.

If you want to stay at AKL, then my personal answer to your question is yes, it is worth it---even in a standard room. It is a beautiful resort and worth a stay.

Last edited:

Yes. We stayed in a standard room in December 2019. We were lucky and got what is considered a "partial savana view" which meant our room looked over the savana, but to the right the view was blocked by an outcrop of the building, and right below us there was a people pen. But we still had great animal views, including of giraffes :-)

But even aside from any views from the room, there are so many areas around both buildings of the resort to see and do things, including viewing areas for the savanas. The lobbies are spectacular and both inside and outside there are viewing areas, and outside there are interactive viewing areas.

SW

Yes, it's my favorite resort, and I have never booked anything other than a Standard view.

I have been lucky enough to get a room with a partial view a few times, which made me very happy!

We have a Savanna View room booked for Jambo House and I'm thinking about room requests, but there are just so many rooms!

Is any one savanna better than the others (i.e. Sunset, Arusha, Uzima)?
Is a higher or lower floor better?

I'm sure there's not a "bad" view when it comes to Savanna View, but any input would be great!!

We have a Savanna View room booked for Jambo House and I'm thinking about room requests, but there are just so many rooms!

Is any one savanna better than the others (i.e. Sunset, Arusha, Uzima)?
Is a higher or lower floor better?

I'm sure there's not a "bad" view when it comes to Savanna View, but any input would be great!!
Different animals inhabit the various savannas. If you want to see zebras and giraffes, request Sunset savanna. I forget which animals can be found on the other savannas - maybe @drusba will come along and remind me!

Different animals inhabit the various savannas. If you want to see zebras and giraffes, request Sunset savanna. I forget which animals can be found on the other savannas - maybe @drusba will come along and remind me!
I found a listing of the different animals on different savannas - I had no idea there were so many differences!
Thanks so much for that info!

Does anyone know if bell services will still hold balloons until you check out?

And will bell services still hold your luggage if you check in before your room is ready?

I did email about the balloon, as I thought that was the case when we last stayed there (not allowed) - but the response I received was that bell services can't hold anything at AKL, but that she could take the balloon to the room. She is 18, so we can certainly work with whatever the rules are where a balloon is concerned - but I wondered if the response I received is accurate - as we are moving from Universal, and had hoped to check in before 3:00 to get our vacation started. Thinking I'd be leaving the luggage at bell services.

Does anyone know if bell services will still hold balloons until you check out?

And will bell services still hold your luggage if you check in before your room is ready?

I did email about the balloon, as I thought that was the case when we last stayed there (not allowed) - but the response I received was that bell services can't hold anything at AKL, but that she could take the balloon to the room. She is 18, so we can certainly work with whatever the rules are where a balloon is concerned - but I wondered if the response I received is accurate - as we are moving from Universal, and had hoped to check in before 3:00 to get our vacation started. Thinking I'd be leaving the luggage at bell services.
Yes, Bell Services will hold your luggage if you arrive before your room is ready. They’ll also store refrigerated/frozen items for you. I’m confused about the balloon - is it arriving with the luggage and needing to be stored before your room is ready? I’m not aware of prohibition against balloons in the guest rooms at AKL.

Yes, Bell Services will hold your luggage if you arrive before your room is ready. They’ll also store refrigerated/frozen items for you. I’m confused about the balloon - is it arriving with the luggage and needing to be stored before your room is ready? I’m not aware of prohibition against balloons in the guest rooms at AKL.

No, one of the items on my DDs wish list is one of those balloons with the Mickey Head inside of them. There may not be any kind of issue with balloons. We last stayed at AKL in 2013, and I thought we were told no balloons or plastic straws were allowed in the room. We (from what I vaguely remember) were given the option to leave the balloon with bell services back then. I could certainly have it mixed up with something else, I just remember my DD handing her balloon purchase to the concierge at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter