• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jambo house tips?

Gocanes0506

Earning My Ears
For the first time…..in forever, we are going to WDW and not attempting to go rope drop to close. We are only going for the two parties. I splurged on a resort because we’ll actually see it. Any tips or cool things that most folks don’t know?

Thanks in advance

Don’t leave without having dinner at Boma. You will not be disappointed. Finish the meal off with Zebra Domes (included), which you can also buy at The Mara at Jambo House.

If you’re staying in Savana room, I’ve always had the best animal viewing in the mornings. Look for the feeding truck making its rounds to drop off food. Animals will not be far behind it.

Take advantage of having access to both Jambo and Kidani. Internal shuttle will take you to and fro or you could take a scenic walk between the two.

Overall, just enjoy one of the best resorts on property.

Hope you’ll have a great trip!

As others have said, definitely enjoy the food/restaurants. They’re great. Boma also has a fabulous breakfast buffet if you like breakfast.

There are multiple interaction/craft stations around the resort. When you complete each, you get a small bead, so you can build a bracelet with them as you interact with the cast members. Fun little way to experience various spots around the resort.

Keep in mind that the animals are called into the barn every morning for check-ups. They are called in one savanna at a time. Sometimes people complain that they don't see animals while they are drinking coffee on their balcony every morning, and don't realize there is a schedule. (I don't know the schedule).

Start reading the AKL thread if you haven't already:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/jambo-the-newest-akl-information-thread.3567178/

If you’re in a standard room, request lobby level. The Mara is really good, although I wish they had more lunch options. It’s an amazing resort! Feel free to ask me any questions!

Love our .. home away from home. Have you considered the Night Safari at Kidani. It is an Awesome experience, night vision goggles, out on the Savannah ( we did the last time slot/10pm?) in one of the big trucks. Saw so much an an excellent guide. Totally worth it! Enjoy ur stay, Jambo 🩷

All the food options there are great, and if you have the time, I would try all of them.

If you’re staying in Savana room, I’ve always had the best animal viewing in the mornings. Look for the feeding truck making its rounds to drop off food. Animals will not be far behind it.
I'd say it's dependent on which savannah area your room faces. From our first room we stayed in, the animals were most visible earlier in the day. But in our most recent room that faced a different savannah, the animals didn't come around at all until the afternoon and evening.

Basically, if you don't see animals at a particular time of day, try again later and you'll be surprised at what comes around.

Boma for breakfast and dinner is great!

If you booked a Standard room, request one with a partial savannah view, there are lots of them, we've managed to get a Standard with a view all but one trip!

Keep in mind that the animals are called into the barn every morning for check-ups. They are called in one savanna at a time. Sometimes people complain that they don't see animals while they are drinking coffee on their balcony every morning, and don't realize there is a schedule. (I don't know the schedule).
I think that schedule doesn't start until around 8:00. And the different species of animals (giraffes, zebra, cattle, etc.) are called in by different sounds-the clacking of 2 sticks, a triangle, a horn, etc. If you listen closely and have good ears, you can hear the sounds. It's pretty interesting! And what's also interesting, at least to me, is that the animals don't suddenly raise their heads and go running (or at least walking fast) to the barn. They just slowly amble that way, not appearing to be in a hurry to get anywhere in particular.

Request a room closest to the lobby unless you feel you can/want to walk another *mile* LOL to your villa! Boma is a must! Enjoy!

OP you did not mention who is in your group, kids etc. They have great TS restaurants but, for us, we found Mira's to be just so-so, but that is usually at all deluxe QS.
  • Meet a Savanna Guide to answer any questions you may have as you walk by the Savanna.
  • Join the Animal Care Team every weekend for a free Animal Enrichment activity! Guests are invited to brighten the day of the giraffes, Ankole cattle, zebras, and other animals by stuffing various puzzle feeders with their favorite treats. This activity is only on Saturday and Sunday afternoon at Kidani Village.
  • "Rubbing" You can create rubbing designs on your paper from the beautiful metal designs in the floor of the lobby. There are several of them. You can ask the desk for paper and crayons to do this. Our DDs did a couple of real nice one's and we had it framed for them as a memory of AKL.
  • As with every resort finding hidden Mickey's
  • Starlight Safari
  • Animal Night Viewing at both Jambo and Kidani also with nightvision goggles
  • A lot of times they will have a CM in the lobby with some sort of animal display that you can look at and ask questions.
  • If you do not have a SV, grab a drink and sit at one of the many Savanna outlook areas with rocking chairs and just enjoy the sights.

If you have breakfast at Boma splurge on the press pot coffee.
If you have never had pressed coffee do yourself a favor and buy a small press ($15) and a grinder (I use my bullet type) for home … your coffee drinking life will be forever changed … Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Definitely spend some time in the hot tubs by the pool, particularly the one that is hidden behind vegetation. It's shady and feels more private.

If you have a savannah view, find out what time they feed the animals because they typically feed them close to the hotel. If you don't have a savannah view, you can spend time outside on a large verandah that overlooks the savannah. You can also walk around the walkways.

Have a drink in Victoria Falls. It's not usually too busy and they have some interesting cocktails and some nibbles.

I like grabbing my book and a glass of wine and reading in the lobby later in the evening. It's so beautiful and peaceful. Also, not sure if this still happens, but they used to have outdoor firepits with story telling every evening. It's nice just sitting around the fire pit (also with a glass of wine!).

Don't miss Jiko for dinner! We have done Boma for breakfast & dinner & enjoyed it. But Jiko is absolutely the BEST! We also enjoyed a glass of wine or cocktail at Victoria Falls Lounge. I hope ya'll enjoy your trip!

Request a room closest to the lobby unless you feel you can/want to walk another *mile* LOL to your villa! Boma is a must! Enjoy!
Just a warning, for kidani ,we have always asked close to lobby and in 8-10 trips there , never got anywhere close. Last trip we were one pod away from the end of the wing.

But of course , someone does get their request filled, but don’t count on it. If it happens great.

We regretted leaving BLT.

If you want to be near the lobby at Kidani, request to be near either the Rafiki or Timon elevators, which are nearest and on each side of the lobby. Rafiki elevators are near the pool, and Timon elevators are near the bus stops.

(Sorry, can’t help with Jambo!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter