It's Showtime! September 2023 Exercise Challenge

Twilight Sparkle

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the September 2023 exercise thread! This month we'll explore Disney on Broadway and Broadway Touring - past and present.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal, and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. (You can post daily or just catch up when you can.) You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since September has 30 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 450
20 minutes/day = 600
30 minutes/day = 900
45 minutes/day = 1350
1 hour/day = 1800

One of the special motivations of our Disney exercise challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - Backstage Blue
25% - Ovation Orange
50% - Playbill Purple
75% - Performance Pink
90% - Rehearsal Red
100% - Grand Finale Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on September 1, but if you don’t find this thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:
Twilight Sparkle 2515/2500
sophy1996 1475/1500
CarolineBowmanFan37 6615/2000
PollyannaMom 360/300
Elizabeth Smith 475/475
ShannyMcB 302/300

piglet1979 225/300
livih99 611/600
Oneanne 1415/1350

Team: 13,993/9325 150%

Last edited:
To kick us off, let's visit the Museum of Broadway in NYC. I definitely recommend visiting this place if you're in NYC and you love musical theatre. The intro film that kicks off your tour has a segment discussing Disney's contribution to the revitalization of the theatre district. It was interesting, and I tried to find a clip for you but no luck. You can also see Disney puppets from the Lion King plus props and costumes from other Disney productions as your make your way through the exhibits. My daughter and I visited the museum soon after it opened, and it was worth the ticket price for us even though we couldn't take as much time as we would have liked because we were flying back home later in the day. I am determined to visit again one day!

ETA: I found an article briefly detailing Disney's contribution to the NYC theatre district, but I still think the museum's film explains it better.

Last edited:
I’m in for 1500 this month. We’re planning on going to DLR for Halloweentime and the Oogie Boogie Bash in a few weeks so that should bump up the minutes. 🎃

130/1500 so far

What a fun theme! It’s amazing to me what creative new ideas folks keep coming up with, month after month.

Our first color changes are on the board! Congrats to Twilight Sparkle, sophy1996, and our TEAM for reaching Backstage Blue!

1693853148085.png

Disney's first Broadway production was Beauty and the Beast. The show opened to previews at the Palace Theatre on March 9, 1994. The official opening night was April 18, 1994. The Palace Theatre was home base for Beauty and the Beast until November 1999 when it transferred to the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. Beauty and the Beast ran for 13 years, closing July 29, 2007, making this show Broadway's 10th longest running show to date with 46 previews and 5,461 performances. It holds the record for the longest running show at both of the theatres that housed it.

I know next to nothing about stage shows; I was never a "theater kid." I'm interested to learn a thing or two this month! Thanks @Twilight Sparkle for hosting!

I'm going to try for 475 this month, bumping back up little by little. I have 10 minutes to add from the 1st, but then I took off the 2nd and 3rd. But I've got 20 minutes for tonight.

30/475
You're welcome! So glad you're here again. I was worried I put the thread up too late!

Congrats to PollyannaMom and CarolineBowmanFan37 for jumping straight to Backstage Blue! :stitch: :stitch: :stitch:

Here's the cast list for the opening of Beauty and the Beast at the Palace Theatre:

1693942081658.png

And a slide show of some production photos:

https://playbill.com/gallery/look-b...t-of-beauty-and-the-beast#carousel-cell765770

Did any of you ever see either Broadway's Beauty and the Beast, its touring production, or perhaps caught the full production on Youtube? If so, do you have a favorite performer? Unfortunately, I've never seen this one on stage, but I would love to see it return one day!

By the way, we need @BonnieF to come back for this month's theme! BonnieF, if you're out there, you're very missed! Feel free to join us - even just for the discussion if you wish!

Did any of you ever see either Broadway's Beauty and the Beast, its touring production, or perhaps caught the full production on Youtube? If so, do you have a favorite performer? Unfortunately, I've never seen this one on stage, but I would love to see it return one day!
No, the only live version I've seen is the DHS one, years ago. But I'd love to see the Broadway one sometime!

I have 15 minutes from the afternoon of exercise bike and growwithjo. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep exercising at night after Charles goes to sleep, since it seems like I'm gonna need to turn in at the same time as him if I stand any chance of getting enough sleep these days. Lol 😆
45/475

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter