Italy and Greece

sk!mom

DIS Veteran
Just returned from a group trip to Key West. While there we threw destinations in a hat for next year’s trip and Italy/Greece was drawn.

Has anyone used a travel agent/company for planning help? I’ve planned trips to England and France for DH and I but planning for a group is overwhelming and possibly more stress and pressure than I want.

Our initial must dos with a year to plan are Rome/ Florence/ Venice/ Athens/ Santorini.

I appreciate all comments.

Last edited:
I did guided tours in Europe - primarily used Cosmos and Globus. But that was in my 20s so I preferred to travel with a group. Depending on how large your group is, various tour companies can customize a package for you.

I did guided tours in Europe - primarily used Cosmos and Globus. But that was in my 20s so I preferred to travel with a group. Depending on how large your group is, various tour companies can customize a package for you.

Thank you. We don’t want a Guided/group tour where every minute is scheduled and we’re on and off buses.

Do you have any suggestions on companies to use? My initial search brought up Trip masters but it has some negative reviews.

Well, I can understand not wanting all your time scheduled, but I'm not sure how you avoid getting on/off buses when you have at least 5 cities that you want to stop at. I did a tour of Italy last year, we took a bus Rome-Florence, and then again to Venice. We were on an Insights tour, but I don't know if they have a Greece/Italy tour.

You don't mention the size of your group--depending on how many people you have, a company may be able to develop a custom itinerary. Having a rough idea of your budget might help, too.

Well, I can understand not wanting all your time scheduled, but I'm not sure how you avoid getting on/off buses when you have at least 5 cities that you want to stop at. I did a tour of Italy last year, we took a bus Rome-Florence, and then again to Venice. We were on an Insights tour, but I don't know if they have a Greece/Italy tour.

You don't mention the size of your group--depending on how many people you have, a company may be able to develop a custom itinerary. Having a rough idea of your budget might help, too.

I get that. We prefer train travel between cities so we may have to book it all on our own. Our group will be 6-10 (3-5 couples.) Budget- hmmmmm, nothing firm but hopefully not over $5,000 per person.

I rarely use travel agents for my travels until I've done my research. They only get the nod from me if they can come up with a plan/itinerary that is less expensive than my own research shows.

I get that. We prefer train travel between cities so we may have to book it all on our own. Our group will be 6-10 (3-5 couples.) Budget- hmmmmm, nothing firm but hopefully not over $5,000 per person.

Including all travel expenses (flights and train)? Also, for how many days?

I can recommend Sun stocks in Santorini. If you are wanting the postcard white and blue on the cliffs then you need to stay in Firostafani.

I would recommend if you do decide to see other islands that you save Santorini for last, it is really breath taking and we found Mykonos a bit of a let down after it.

We did Spain, Italy, and London a couple of years ago, but I researched and planned it all myself. I did look into a local TA, but she couldn’t get me exactly what I wanted, and her price was higher than what I knew I could do it for myself.

We did Seville, Valencia, Pisa, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome, the Vatican, Naples, Pompeii, Isle of Capri, Venice, and London. Out of those, I’d go back to Isle of Capri, Venice, and London. We also really wanted to go to Salerno and down the coast, but couldn’t fit it in.

Highlights of the Italy portion of our trip:

• Exploring Cinque Terre and taking a boat ride along the coast. It was very beautiful.

• Leonardo Da Vinci Museum in Florence. We stumbled on this by accident, but it was really interesting. It’s a museum that focuses on Leonardo the inventor, not Leonardo the artist. The museum is full of his inventions made from his plans. Many are interactive where you can try them out yourself. Its a smaller museum, but it was a lot of fun. Especially if you are a fan of his work.

• The Coliseum. We did the underground tour. I don’t think I’d have really appreciated it as much if we’d done the standard tour. We didn’t really care for Rome overall.

• The Isle of Capri. We did a private boat tour around Capri to see the grottos and took the chair from the top which offered amazing views. I’d have loved to have been able to spend a few days on the island to really explore it and the grottos, but we didn’t have time. We did get to take one quick swim in a grotto, but it would have been nice to have had more time.

• Pompeii was very interesting. I’m not sure why, but ever since I was a kid it’s been on my bucket list to see, and I wasn’t disappointed. I had to sacrifice my visit to a mozerella buffalo farm to do it. If we go back, visiting the farm will be on my to do list.

• Simply exploring Venice was a highlight. The city was very beautiful and full of lots of interesting shops owned by local artists. I got sick our first day there; though, so we didn’t get to do much, but I still enjoyed what I did see.

We did a mix of trains and planes to get around. I initially thought we’d take trains everywhere, but after I started looking into it, I found that in many cases taking a plane was actually quicker and less expensive. I also learned quickly that I’m not a fan of Italian trains. Honestly, the entire public transportation system in Italy was very confusing. Many times the locals were more confused than I was because at least I’d done some research. It was very stressful. Airports weren’t a whole lot better, but at least I knew when I had arrived at my destination. Really do your research on getting from point A to B if you end up going without a guide. Spain and London were easy to navigate, but Italy not so much. That’s the one thing I wish I’d researched in more detail. Little things like figuring out which stop to get off at. Silly me, I thought they would announce the stops or there would be a sign or something. For instance, I had instructions like take Train A to Rome stop C, only figuring out which of the stops was Rome C ended up being very difficult.

The other thing that surprised us was that we really didn’t like the food at all, and even when we did find food that was ok or even good, we’d tire of it quickly because it was the exact same menu at every restaurant. We didn’t find much variety. We didn’t see any options for different types of ethnic foods, and we didn’t really even see different types of regional Italian food. For instance, when we were on the coast, whatever was the local catch, that’s all anyone served. No options for anything else. No chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, or even another type of fish. We got whatever was local and in season, and it was the same menu at every single restaurant we came across. However, we tend to try to avoid tourist areas when we travel unless we are specifically doing something touristy. I don’t think we ever ate in a restaurant that had any English translations or was really geared toward tourists, so maybe that was our problem. We found the food situation in Spain and London much better than Italy.

The last thing that stands out to me is that both Spain and Italy were really bad about textured sidewalks and streets. The one stamp they use that looks like the tops of Lego bricks was the worst offender. Those little round parts would pop right up between the treads of my shoes and really hurt. The textured concrete really tore my shoes up and did a number on my feet. I’m not sure why they are so opposed to flat concrete, so be prepared for uneven textured surfaces, even where new concrete has been poured. I think the cobblestone was probably preferable.

Also, do any of you speak any Italian or Greek? I think it would be a good idea to have at least the basics down. We definitely weren’t fluent, but I could make out the gist of most things written down and knew a few useful words and phrases, and my sister could hold a basic conversation well enough to fool people into thinking she was completely fluent. We definitely needed those skills during our trip, especially trying to ask directions and navigate and at restaurants.

A few thoughts--and a slightly different perspective from the PP:

One of the best food places we found in Italy was, ironically, the rest stops along the highways. I wouldn't have believed it if you told me, but they had a large selection of freshly prepared food (as in, cook the pasta before your eyes--that fresh!). I even had raw fish at one--"I think I'll try the raw fish" was never said, by anyone, at an American rest stop. While our tour included several nice dinners, I was traveling with my daughters--DD(then)14 didn't care for the drawn-out courses at a typical Italian meal, so she and I ate mostly street food. We found it very good in every city we visited.

In Venice, if possible, you want to stay in a hotel IN Venice. The train station is off the main part of Venice, and a lot of hotels are there. It's a very different experience from actually being in Venice.

We didn't need to know Italian, but we stayed in the more touristy areas. Certainly if you want to explore outside of the main tourist spots, you need some language.

The PP is right about the roads--Rome, in particular, is all cobblestones, narrow roads, and mad Italians in tiny cars trying to kill you. Their cousins on the Amalfi Coast are even more insane.

We liked southern Italy better than northern Italy, but it's personal preference. Agree with the PP on Pompeii and Capri. Our favorite stay was in Sorrento, which has lemons the size of your head. Least favorite was Assisi, and only partly because I got sick and threw up in the bidet. Pompeii is a day trip from Rome--yes, you can take a train. It would also be worth your time to do a wine tasting in Tuscany or Umbria--day trip from Florence.

I can't help at all on Greece. And of course, everyone's taste is subjective.

A few thoughts--and a slightly different perspective from the PP:

One of the best food places we found in Italy was, ironically, the rest stops along the highways. I wouldn't have believed it if you told me, but they had a large selection of freshly prepared food (as in, cook the pasta before your eyes--that fresh!). I even had raw fish at one--"I think I'll try the raw fish" was never said, by anyone, at an American rest stop. While our tour included several nice dinners, I was traveling with my daughters--DD(then)14 didn't care for the drawn-out courses at a typical Italian meal, so she and I ate mostly street food. We found it very good in every city we visited.

Oh my YES---we get such delicious food at Italian rest stops---we always marvel about that.

Our budget isn't firm at all. We are pretty sold on this trip whatever the cost. But We will want to do it as inexpensively as possible. I know that sounds confusing. We will want well located hotels but are fine with small locally owned. In France we stayed at small hotels that were recommended by Rick Steves. That was fine. We won't want to eat at expensive restaurants.

Time- 14 days max. That is firm as a couple of the DH's would really prefer 10.

Thanks for all the responses.

We usually plan everything ourselves, so I can’t recommend a travel company.

I agree with the poster who suggested to stay nearer the city center. We usually decide what attractions/sites we want to do/see and then try to select a hotel that’s as central as possible to those (and reasonably priced). We prefer trip advisor for selecting our attractions/sites to see and hotels.com to select our hotels.

I know this can be said about a lot of European cities, but a word of caution about pickpockets in Greece and Santorini in particular. In every port (Greece), we were warned about them. We were on an excursion in Santorini (a tour of the island) and got caught in a large crowd in Oia (the town with blue domes/roofs). DH was pickpocketed, but thankfully turned and saw his wallet in someone else’s hand, yelled “Hey!” and slapped at their hand and they dropped it and took off.

Oh my YES---we get such delicious food at Italian rest stops---we always marvel about that.

We're going back to Europe next week, and I hope we're taking a bus trip in Italy, just so we can stop at a rest stop! I think my DH thinks I'm bat-crap crazy, raving on about the delicious rest stop food, so I want him to see for himself. I'm also bringing home a suitcase full of Baci, but that's a different issue.

My mom just booked a trip to Italy for 10 days. She originally used a travel agent and the cost came back close to $10,000 for 2. There is a travel group she is in on facebook and they suggested using travelzoo. She ended up booking pretty much the same trip for a little under $5,000 for the both of them, which included airfare, hotel, and some activities. I noticed you mentioned Tripmasters, I've seen many in one of my travel groups mention they used this company and had excellent experiences, but the key is researching the options given. That is also who my mom used with Travelzoo and upgraded all of her hotels after doing research on the different options given.

Time- 14 days max. That is firm as a couple of the DH's would really prefer 10.

Be aware you may feel rushed trying to see so many cities in so few days. We spent 3 to 4 days in each city and felt very rushed. We’d arrive on day 1 and leave on day 3 or 4. That sounds like a lot of time, but it really wasn’t. It was exhausting. Especially, when you factor in you lost anywhere from a half to a full day on the travel time between cities. I’ve sworn if we go back, we won’t do another rushed trip like that, but will spend more time in each place.

14 days
Loose 2 days travel going and coming
Now you’re down to 12 days
You’ve got 4 travel days between each city
Now your down to 8 days to see 5 cities in 2 countries
That leaves less than 2 days to see each city

It’s doable, just be aware of how rushed you’ll be. If this is a bucket list now or never type thing and those are your must do cities, go for it. Otherwise, I think you’d be better off to see more of less places. It would be more relaxed and enjoyable. At least, I know we would have enjoyed it much more if we’d picked less places to see. It was a little stressful picking up and moving rooms and luggage every few days.

On another note, I Definitely agree about staying in the center of town or near the things you want to do. Especially, since your time is so limited, you don’t want to add long commutes to your day.

Also, something I forgot to mention, Venice is not the easiest to navigate. There are many streets that dead end into canals, and it can sometimes feel like you are navigating a maze trying to find the bridge you need to take to get across a canal. There are public boats operating in the fashion of buses, but make sure you understand the routes, tickets, and get the tickets ahead of time.

We got a place right on the boat route, and then didn’t realize that at that particular stop, there was no way to get a ticket! We had done research and thought we could get a ticket at the stop from a machine, but apparently all the stops don’t offer that. I can’t remember if our machine was broken or just out of service or what. We got to where we were staying no issues. We arrived by train and took a boat to our stop, simple. We thought returning would be just as easy. Nope. Getting to the airport when it was time to leave was a nightmare. We couldn’t get on the boat and so we had to walk across Venice. It took 2 hours. Also, the Venice airport is not actually in Venice. You have to take a bus from Venice to get to it. It was all very confusing. And the Venice airport was horrible. I had read reviews about people talking about queuing up under the stairs to board the plane and what a mess it was. They were right. Our “gate” was literally in the stairwell. No line, just a huge crowd of people waiting to board more than one plane all mixed together. I was never so afraid I was going to end up on the wrong plane before in my life.

You are trying to cover a lot of territory. I would suggest a travel agent because there will be lots more of coordination of trains, planes and autos/busses. Trains will be relatively easy in Italy. But getting to Athens will probably require s flight. And santorini is an island so you can only get there on boat or plane. You might wAnt a cruise through the Greek isles to get to santorini with stops in Athens and Mykonos.

We just did a trip that included Paris ---Luxembourg City ---> Brussels -----Bruges -----> The Hague -----> Amsterdam. I planned the whole trip by myself. We took a train from Paris to Luxembourg City then rented a car for the rest of the trip. I used Lonely Planet and Rick Steves mostly. I planned our route, our stops, our hotels, everything. It really wasn't that difficult. I also used a website called inspirock.com which was a huge help! You can put in your dates, places you want to go and it can create an itinerary for you. I started with that then modified it to how I wanted it. I know you are planning for a group but I don't think that will be any more difficult than it was for only 2 people.

Also, we have done two tours with Trafalgar. While I liked that we got to see a lot of places it seemed too quick paced at some places and not enough time at others. I really liked being able to come and go as I pleased on our last vacation. We have also used https://authentic-scandinavia.com/ for a trip to Scandinavia. They scheduled hotels, trains, etc for you but your time was yours. I wish I could find a company like that for other destinations.

I don't know anything about this type of travel... But, TravelZoo just popped up and has an offer thru TripMasters that includes flights into Rome, and one week in Rome, Florence, and Venice, and flights back from Venice, starting at about $1,000.
We are planning a cruise, and if we don't have/use points, just the flights alone are a lot more than that!

Wonder how this can be possible???

We did Greece and Italy on our own a few years ago. We were a group of 4 adults.

Our itinerary was:

A week and a half in Thessaloniki, Greece visiting family
*train*
3-4 days in Athens
*flight*
4-5 days Rome (definitely could have used more time here)
*train*
2-3 days Amalfi Coast
*train*
2-3 days Venice
*fly back to US from Venice - Venice airport was a nightmare so if you leave from here give yourself plenty of time

Overall we were gone for 3.5 weeks, so I may have the number of days mixed up a bit (this was 4 years ago).

Train travel in Italy and Greece was very easy. We had no problem doing it ourselves. I booked and planned everything on my own. It took a lot of time, but I enjoy that type of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter