It gets even better . . . (generous kids)

zoe dog

Mouseketeer
A couple of days ago I let you know about our successful yard sale ($340!). That night my DH mentioned feeling greedy about having been so focussed on money-making in light of the 9/11 attacks and imminent war, so yesterday we suggested to our three DDs (10, 9, and 5 1/2) that we might want to donate some of the yard sale money to the families of the victims of the tragedy. We suggested an amount that was smallish, but significant, because we knew the girls were really looking forward to dinners with Mickey, etc. Well!! They just blew us away with the enthusiasm of their response -- and they want to donate a MUCH larger chunk of the money. It made me feel really good to know that they have a life-perspective that includes so much more than how to promote their own fun.

Bless their hearts !!! It's wonderful to hear that children so young are so conscious of others needs. You have done a great job at raising them.

zoe dog - I know just how you feel. My DS's were having a fund drive at their school for the September 11th fund. They both took handfuls of change out of their Disney Jar and put it in baggies for the fund. It may not sound like a lot, but to see a 7 and a 9 year old scooping up $3 or $4 each out of their hard earned ice -cream and arcade money brought tears to my eyes. I even felt a little guilty that I had cashed in almost $400 out of the jar 3 weeks ago to order our US/IOA tickets.

Children learn giving from their parents, zoe dog and njziggy! Sounds like you both "done good!!!":)
Congratulations!!!

My daughter's school has been saving their pennies for 7 years now for new playground equipment. They had a vote last week to give the entire fund to the Red Cross. Once this hit the local news and radio stations, there were corporations and businesses falling all over each other to pay for the new playground equipment for the school. I could not have been prouder!

rcpalmerii, That is absolutely fantastic! I'd be interested in knowing the names of those generous companies...
My 7 yo takes 50 cents to school each day for his ice-cream money. I knew that his school had been collecting change, so I send change each day for him to put in the jar. Come to find out, DS hasn't been buying ice-cream. He claims that they no longer have any "kinds he likes", so he has been putting his ice-cream money in the donation jar... God bless the children!!

Your children have had wonderful examples! I truely believe that what we give comes back to us in some form. Let your children know how proud you are of them.

Isn't that wonderful?!?!?! I just love kids for that reason. We had a yard sale about 2 weeks ago didn't make close to what you did but DD sold cookies and brownies and gave all of her money to the red cross. I matched her so she had a nice little some. The only thing she asked, if she could have the 50 cent piece. I told her of course. Kids are our back bone and from what I'm hearing we have some wonderful children growing up!
Go and enjoy yourself your kids are wonderful!

I got tears in my eyes reading these! Incredible stories!
Thanks for sharing them.
Beth

Aww! I love reading these too. My 8 year old,55 pd, terrified of doctors, daughter asked me if I would take her to the blood drive so she could donate. I almost bawled!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter