It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year – an offsite, non-Disney, Christmas TR

53 here. We'll be chasing you down there DDS. Dreaming of exactly the same thing. The wind chill here this evening is brutal!

Alright you guys, now which direction is this report heading in???

bankr63 is planning on chasing dancin Disney style down in Florida......:eek:.

I think the cold weather has driven us all mad :rolleyes1.

Aquatica looks so fun! I spent waayyy too much time at typhoon lagoon on my college program (way before BB was even thought of) and I love that place. We did Blizzard Beach in 2014 but I think the kids would love Aquatica more. We stayed at Marriott Sabal Palms 2015 and had (free) access to World center and their pools and slides so no need for water park (and Stormalong Bay at Beach club when we stayed there).

A bit jealous of those being able to head to warmer weather - we have not had a bad winter here but we are going to get snow/freezing rain a couple times this week-at least that is the prediction for now-there is a reason all the weather schools are in this area of the midwest-the weather peeps even said this morning that they don't really know what will happen this week yet. And I get to head to colder weather --colorado-next month for oldest kid's look at a college...

Keep the warm weather trip report coming! Loving the pics!!

Joining in late Gina! We love Golden Corral here, have one close to home.

Loving all the pictures, you keep looking younger with every trip report.

Hope it warms up before you get here, we have a freeze warning here tonight in north Florida!

Showed dh some of your pics of Aquatica and we're both hoping we can be there next Christmas instead of here! We loved it there too. I think it was the best part of our trip last time. Kids were a bit disappointed in the wave pool - they loved the force of Typhoon Lagoon's and Aquatica's was too tame for them. LOL

Although that weather is not normal for Orlando in December and with our luck it would be miserable and cold if we went!

Look at all of the Canucks in here! We're all sick of the cold, sicker about our dollar, and ready to go spend too much money for some warmth and sun!:sunny:
102 days to go for us!
Can I play too? I'm from Wisconsin and it was -8F (-22C) yesterday morning when I drove my DD to swim practice and we have family in Ottawa and Montreal. I do feel sorry for you ... your dollar is in free fall :headache:.

159 days for me.

ETA, I am SO glad to hear that there is a decent Golden Corral in Orlando. There are a bunch of them in eastern Wisconsin and we always enjoy eating there. We've tried a couple in Orlando (the one on 192 near Animal Kingdom and the one near the Premium Outlet mall) and there were both horrible. They were loud, crowded and filthy.

You're going to schedule in a meal at Dick's though, right? I want to see what kind of a hat they make for YOU. :rolleyes1

C'mon, live a little :teeth: .
I'm pretty sure that I could not post that hat in any sort of public forum.

Sadly, we are not going to have a car this trip, so no Dick's for me. Thank you to the exchange for that. At one point yesterday the exchange rate was 1.4986....is there a vomiting emoji? I'm in the process of figuring out what I can cancel to save some money. No car, no Blue Jays and no TS meals. :sad:

Sadly, we are not going to have a car this trip, so no Dick's for me. Thank you to the exchange for that. At one point yesterday the exchange rate was 1.4986....is there a vomiting emoji? I'm in the process of figuring out what I can cancel to save some money. No car, no Blue Jays and no TS meals. :sad:

I have to ask....what is up with the Canadian dollar dropping? Does this mean us United States residents should plan summer trips to Canada? Would we make out well?

Liking your post because I can relate..not because I actually "like" that exchange rate. I don't know what's left to cut for us. I mean, maybe my cat could watch the dog and we could save on boarding fees. Or I could convince the kids we only ever intended to stand in the Magic Kingdom parking lot and soak up the atmosphere.
The big savings will be meals (thank god for a full kitchen) and eating offsite. However to do so I have to rent a car and rates are HIGH right now. Le sigh.
Gina we need an update, I'm being a Debbie Downer in your trip report :duck:.
Funny thing is, with how cold it is today I am sitting here just as excited as ever to take this trip so it can't be bugging me too much lol.
Can I play too? I'm from Wisconsin and it was -8F (-22C) yesterday morning when I drove my DD to swim practice and we have family in Ottawa and Montreal. I do feel sorry for you ... your dollar is in free fall :headache:.

159 days for me.

ETA, I am SO glad to hear that there is a decent Golden Corral in Orlando. There are a bunch of them in eastern Wisconsin and we always enjoy eating there. We've tried a couple in Orlando (the one on 192 near Animal Kingdom and the one near the Premium Outlet mall) and there were both horrible. They were loud, crowded and filthy.
Yes you can join too. Those temperatures are worse than ours today!! And I am tempted to try that Golden Corral too. The one we tried on our December trip last year was atrocious, but I am willing to try again.

We tend to not do all you can eat, as there are no really good ones around us any more.

As was said on an another forum, it's blooming cold today. Thankfully at 19F. But, with 20mph winds, it feels like below freezing. And, major snow storm may come our way this week-end. Why can't it come on a Monday? But, since the Atlantic is warmer than normal 45 degrees, we may get more rain than snow. Darn weather people give all different ideas of what may come our way this week-end. They'll let us know on Friday. :sunny:

So, floating our holiday vacation to the kids. DD rather be there in summer. Ahhh, no. You are working and I will not have to pay for summer camp for the first time in 10 years. No my dear, we are going over the holidays again. Orlando yes, Super Grover passes in hand, but where else? DS wants a cruise, but man, last year those prices were scary, so off to see if that's possible this year. :coffee:

Come on, we need an update. Seeing beautiful warm weather is badly needed. :fish::flower1::thanks:

Sure as long as "chasing" is code for "will be lying by the pool enjoying an adult beverage and nursing a suntan". :rolleyes2

Jealous. I never tan.....EVER. I'm either pasty white or fiery red, no matter how much time I spend outdoors.

54 days here, and the only thing I am chasing is my cold beer, with a Margarita :)

Hard to believe March Break is that close!!!

Look at all of the Canucks in here! We're all sick of the cold, sicker about our dollar, and ready to go spend too much money for some warmth and sun!:sunny:
102 days to go for us!

Amen, sister ::yes:: . It's almost a toss-up as to which is worse.....the weather or the dollar. Though at least the cold eventually passes. I fear the warmth will return long before our dollar rebounds.

56 days for us, cruising out of Miami on DCL!

Ooohh, fun!! Still never tried cruising, but I would like to someday.

Aquatica looks so fun! I spent waayyy too much time at typhoon lagoon on my college program (way before BB was even thought of) and I love that place. We did Blizzard Beach in 2014 but I think the kids would love Aquatica more. We stayed at Marriott Sabal Palms 2015 and had (free) access to World center and their pools and slides so no need for water park (and Stormalong Bay at Beach club when we stayed there).

A bit jealous of those being able to head to warmer weather - we have not had a bad winter here but we are going to get snow/freezing rain a couple times this week-at least that is the prediction for now-there is a reason all the weather schools are in this area of the midwest-the weather peeps even said this morning that they don't really know what will happen this week yet. And I get to head to colder weather --colorado-next month for oldest kid's look at a college...

Keep the warm weather trip report coming! Loving the pics!!

You sure that kiddo doesn't want to go to school in, say, Florida? Or California? I tried to get Jake to consider a southern college, but I guess it all worked out in the end that he decided to stay local. I can't imagine paying tuition and lodging when our dollar is this low! :eek:

We just didn't fall in love with Blizzard Beach. I think its the "snow" theme....it just rubbed us the wrong way. We get enough of the real winter here at home, we don't want to spend time in a cutesy, fake winter environment when we're down south. Give me some palm trees and lush green any day!

Joining in late Gina! We love Golden Corral here, have one close to home.

Loving all the pictures, you keep looking younger with every trip report.

Hope it warms up before you get here, we have a freeze warning here tonight in north Florida!

LOL, funny thing about the bolded....just the other day, we were looking through some of the scrapbooks and photobooks from our first few trips. The first comment from each of us? About how much OLDER we looked!!! :scared1: Me especially....OMG, I felt every gray hair on my head at that moment. I guess because I don't feel any different, I don't expect to look any different either. Alas, middle age is creeping up on me despite my youthful attitude.

I hope your cold weather passes quickly. We all need a return of El Nino (wasn't this supposed to be the year they forecasted warmer than average temperatures and no snow for most of north america??) .... it was -18 this morning when I went to work, and I swear that my car shivered as it started!! :cold:

Showed dh some of your pics of Aquatica and we're both hoping we can be there next Christmas instead of here! We loved it there too. I think it was the best part of our trip last time. Kids were a bit disappointed in the wave pool - they loved the force of Typhoon Lagoon's and Aquatica's was too tame for them. LOL

Although that weather is not normal for Orlando in December and with our luck it would be miserable and cold if we went!

We have been pretty lucky on both Christmas trips that we've done. While we had much cooler weather overall in 2012 than this past vacation, we still had warm enough days to waterpark. You just have to be flexible and prepared to take advantage of a warm day when it comes!!

159 days for me.

Yup: loud, crowded and filthy has been our experience at some of them too. I give big thumbs up to the management of the one on south I-Drive....they are doing a much better job than their neighbouring locations.

Which part of Wisconsin are you from? We drove from Ontario to the Dells in summer 2010, and we traveled through some mighty gorgeous country along the way. You definitely do get the same type of weather that we do, though....in fact, I think many WI cities are quite a bit further north than we are in SE Ontario.

Sigh.....everyone I know is feeling the burn. Its definitely changing our vacation plans, too. We have a breakfast reservation for Ohana for April that I'm having a harder and hard time justifying.

Can we carpool?

Don't do it, @bankr63 . Rumour has it she's a wild driver :drive: .

I have to ask....what is up with the Canadian dollar dropping? Does this mean us United States residents should plan summer trips to Canada? Would we make out well?

Absolutely. Essentially, you would be travelling at 40 % less than the Canadian price: so a $100 hotel will cost you $60 (maybe even less at the rate we're going). I am betting Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls, Ontario will be PACKED with American visitors this summer!

Liking your post because I can relate..not because I actually "like" that exchange rate. I don't know what's left to cut for us. I mean, maybe my cat could watch the dog and we could save on boarding fees. Or I could convince the kids we only ever intended to stand in the Magic Kingdom parking lot and soak up the atmosphere.
The big savings will be meals (thank god for a full kitchen) and eating offsite. However to do so I have to rent a car and rates are HIGH right now. Le sigh.
Gina we need an update, I'm being a Debbie Downer in your trip report :duck:.
Funny thing is, with how cold it is today I am sitting here just as excited as ever to take this trip so it can't be bugging me too much lol.

Yes you can join too. Those temperatures are worse than ours today!! And I am tempted to try that Golden Corral too. The one we tried on our December trip last year was atrocious, but I am willing to try again.

Ah my friend, I feel your pain.....and I can never escape the financial doom and gloom because I work in that industry to boot. So not only does it affect my vacations, but it also affects my place of business. The stock markets have been terrible, oil prices are dropping like a stone.....is it any wonder I need to get away from it all from time to time?? :sad2:

An update is coming up next....just proof reading and then posting :) .

We tend to not do all you can eat, as there are no really good ones around us any more.

As was said on an another forum, it's blooming cold today. Thankfully at 19F. But, with 20mph winds, it feels like below freezing. And, major snow storm may come our way this week-end. Why can't it come on a Monday? But, since the Atlantic is warmer than normal 45 degrees, we may get more rain than snow. Darn weather people give all different ideas of what may come our way this week-end. They'll let us know on Friday. :sunny:

So, floating our holiday vacation to the kids. DD rather be there in summer. Ahhh, no. You are working and I will not have to pay for summer camp for the first time in 10 years. No my dear, we are going over the holidays again. Orlando yes, Super Grover passes in hand, but where else? DS wants a cruise, but man, last year those prices were scary, so off to see if that's possible this year. :coffee:

Come on, we need an update. Seeing beautiful warm weather is badly needed. :fish::flower1::thanks:

Oh, to be back in Orlando ..... even during their cold spell right now, it would be much much MUCH better than here!!

I envy you planning your next Christmas trip already. A US vacation will certainly not be in the cards for us in December 2016, not with our dollar the way it is. I'm thinking I'll be eating turkey and stuffing with the inlaws this year :scared: .....unless I can squeeze in a reasonably priced staycation at the Falls.

Hey...just had a thought :scratchin. We should do a Niagara Falls Dismeet this summer! ::yes:: It would be affordable for our American friends, and its a super fun city.

The next installment is pending....hold tight, it shall be up soon :thumbsup2 .

Wednesday, December 23rd:

It was mid-week already….time was flying by soooo fast :sad1:.

On this particular morning, “the plan” had been to grab an in-villa breakfast before heading out to make the most out of yet another warm, humid and rain-free day. We were happy to note that we were nicely ahead of the dining budget, though (thanks to some good coupons and discounts) so the boys made an appeal for an “extra” breakfast out. Their interest had been piqued earlier in the trip by the breakfast menu at Steak & Shake, so they batted their eyelashes and lavished me with compliments until I caved.

Yep, I’m soft like that :blush:. Like putty in their hands.

Arriving at Steak & Shake, it was pretty busy….not surprising, as it was on its way to 10 am. All the late sleepers had rumbled out of bed and were now in search of morning sustenance. We were still able to be seated right away, and our server had menus in front of us and beverages to our table within minutes of our arrival.

The prices for breakfast here are cheap, cheap, cheap……the value is very comparable to their lunch entrees. They had a nice, diverse selection so it was hard for us to pick what to have :scratchin. If this went well, we could see ourselves returning on a future trip to try all the other yummy vittles that didn’t make the cut on this visit.

The time between submission of our orders and delivery of our food was very swift…..which was a good thing, because the guys were starved (as usual ;) ).

Jake had ordered a “cheddar scrambler” which also came with a side of two pancakes:

Steve had the “country skillet” with his eggs over easy:

I ordered a sausage and egg biscuit (no cheese please) with a side of silver dollar hashbrowns:

Then, because they were dying of hunger, my fellows also ordered a pair of breakfast “shooters” to try. No pictures of those, they disappeared before I could get my camera out of the camera bag!! :rotfl:

In hindsight, the guys should have foregone the sausage shooters because the portion sizes of their entrees were MASSIVE for the price. Inexpensive does not mean small quantities here, which we should have known. By the time we finished our meal (with some left over that we simply could not force our bellies to consume), we were stuffed full.

Service again was friendly and efficient. The food was super yummy and exceeded all expectations. The price was crazy low, at a total of $25.59 including tax and beverages (three large milks, chocolate for the boys and white for me). We will definitely eat here again :thumbsup2.

Our next stop of the day was to finally use a long-expired Groupon for a favourite Orlando family activity: mini golf! The manager of the Groupon vendor had confirmed via private message on Facebook that despite the voucher being more than two years past the date of expiry, they would still honour the full value without additional payment…..customer service at its finest! Jake, in particular, was super excited to hit the green as mini golf is one of his favourite pastimes when we vacation together as a family. He was almost bouncing in the back seat as we made our way to the course in Kissimmee :hyper:.

The parking lot in front of the golf course was so empty, we wondered if perhaps we had arrived prior to their opening hours….but yes, they were indeed open though we were the only people there. Are we sure it’s Christmas week?!?!? :confused: Where the heck were all the people? :confused3 At any rate, we got a wonderfully friendly welcome from the young lady at the small store who happily accepted our expired Groupon and had us on our way in no time with clubs and balls in hand.

Mighty Jungle is an African-themed course that we had visited before, and while it’s not the “best” mini golf in Orlando (it doesn’t have my beloved gators, as Congo River does) it’s a beautifully maintained location with a nice moderate challenge level. It’s not too easy, not too hard, and just difficult enough to be fun. It’s well themed, well groomed, and every time we have visited, the staff could not be friendlier or more accommodating.

They offer 36 holes at the course, so there are two separate 18-hole options from which to pick. Our Groupon entitlements provided unlimited all day golfing plus ice cream for 4, so we knew we could start with one course and then proceed with the second. We chose to begin at the course on the right side, at Bwindi.

See? I told you someone was happy to be FINALLY getting the chance to mini golf! :teeth:

It’s a pretty course, so there were some good opportunities for photos along the route. We stopped here and there to grab some candid shots for the photobook:

Ever wondered what it would be like to have a private rental of a mini golf course? Well, we found out … since we were the ONLY ones there. Yes, we had the entire place to ourselves :worship:.

It was HOT and humid again today, so we were grateful once again for the cloud cover which blocked out the added warming effect of the sun. The weather would have made it easy to forget it was just two days before Christmas….except that they had THE BEST Christmas soundtrack playing as we made our way around the course :thumbsup2. Awesome songs, many of them traditional carols, from high-profile artists that left us wanting to sing along at the top of our lungs. And ya know, we did just that…..because heck, we were the only ones there, so we weren’t subjecting anyone to our terrible singing or lack of pitch. None of us can carry a tune in a bucket, but what we lacked in talent we made up for in enthusiasm :p.

While I had a spectacular beginning to the first round (by hole 15, I was noticeably ahead of the guys…which left Jake gobsmacked and wondering what had come over his unskilled and non-athletic mother) I had a huge fall apart beginning at the 16th hole. Jake emerged the late game winner, complete with victory dance and a little gloating to his dad. Cheeky boy :rolleyes:. Steve somehow beat my score by a hair as well, and despite my glorious initial performance, I came dead last......as usual.

We tackled the Serengeti course next:

Once again, Jake claimed top spot after a back-and-forth battle for the game with an equally competitive Steve. It’s always in good fun, though, so everyone came out smiling :). Too hot to continue (and another family had just shown up……somehow, it wouldn’t be the same if we had to “share” our private course!! ;)) we turned in our clubs and sat down at the picnic tables adjacent to the little store. We had picked up our ice cream treats (one each for Steve and I….Jake took a pass, he was already thinking about his much-anticipated and fattening lunch choice!) and ate them quickly before they melted into tiny pools of milk. The novelties we had to pick from were all high-end choices…..Magnum bars, Oreo products, Drumsticks, and the like…..which surprised us considering we paid about $12 for the Groupon back in 2012. A round of golf each would have been about $10 per person….we golfed two rounds each, plus ice cream, and we could STILL come back later in the day for more golfing if we so chose. We were more than satisfied with the value from that purchase!

Lots more yet to come…

Yes, to a Niagara idea. We'd be up for it. We had such a good time there, a long week-end would be perfect for us.

Actually, in global terms the Canadian dollar isn't really dropping much at all. Most world currencies are suffering about the same relative to the US$. So I prefer to say that the greenback is skyrocketing. I was reading a post by a couple of Aussie's here, and they sound just like Canadians (but with a much better accent); the AU$ is taking a beating too. As is the Euro. As is....

But can an American take advantage of that? Most likely yes. We are seeing some inflation on imported goods here, but probably not completely in line with how the currencies compare. Gasoline used to be a bargain in US, now (after all the conversions both currency and volume) they are pretty much at parity between NYS and Ontario (still cheaper in the Southern US. I expect hotels will be a bargain here because we price them in Canadian dollars. Apparently most of Mexico prices their rooms in US$, so despite the fact that the Peso and the C$ dollar exchange at similar levels to each other, accommodation costs in Mexico are going up for Canadians, and staying the same for Americans.

Just a long winded way of saying, do the math and you will probably find that Canada (and much of the rest of the world) will be a bargain for Americans for the coming months.

Can we carpool?
I've been warned against it...

Besides I only have room for 8 in my car. But A+'s Disney Pins take the space of 1 person, her luggage will be at least 2 more, and well, it's starting to get tight in there already. Seriously, DS and I had a ton of room on the trip down last year. A+ joined us mid-way, and on the trip back DS was actually a bit squishy in the second row seat (okay we could have packed better). I'm not sure I could do the drive with 4 without renting a bus...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter