Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

Getting a standard view duo studio in the tower will be the single most difficult room to get in all of DVC.
They still haven’t declared either of the Aulani Standard View Grand Villas, so they literally are unbookable for points.

Which I would be fine if you said that doesn’t count but Aulani has been open for 12 years, so it does. 🤓

I think we may be surprised by the updated points chart. A few things I think/predict regarding the PVB points chart
  1. A standard view longhouse studio (sleeps 5) will be more points than a standard view tower studio (sleeps 4),
  2. The standard view 1 and 2 bedrooms will be less than or equal points wise with VGF 1 and 2 bedrooms. Can’t say the same about preferred or TP.
  3. We’ll see a slight points rebalancing of the bungalows.
  4. If the bungalows get rebalanced, which I believe they will, then the 2 bedroom penthouse house TP view will be more expensive than the bungalows.
  5. Getting a standard view duo studio in the tower will be the single most difficult room to get in all of DVC.
Let the criticism begin! (Metaphorical pitch forks welcome)
By the way I think you’ll be 1 for 5; I only agree with #2.

I think we may be surprised by the updated points chart. A few things I think/predict regarding the PVB points chart
  1. A standard view longhouse studio (sleeps 5) will be more points than a standard view tower studio (sleeps 4),
  2. The standard view 1 and 2 bedrooms will be less than or equal points wise with VGF 1 and 2 bedrooms. Can’t say the same about preferred or TP.
  3. We’ll see a slight points rebalancing of the bungalows.
  4. If the bungalows get rebalanced, which I believe they will, then the 2 bedroom penthouse house TP view will be more expensive than the bungalows.
  5. Getting a standard view duo studio in the tower will be the single most difficult room to get in all of DVC.

By the way I think you’ll be 1 for 5; I only agree with #2.

Interesting. I think #4 is the most probable (not the re-balancing, just the penthouse points being higher).
The bungalows are surely overpriced (over-pointed?) but I think the penthouses will be more expensive based on the view and sq footage. Poly doesn't seem to follow the same rules as the other resorts in terms of the 2 bedrooms and if the penthouses are considerably larger than the bungalows (even if they don't sleep more people) I have to think they will scale higher in point cost too. Otherwise why even build them?

Boy, wouldn't it be nice to have some info on what exactly a penthouse is at Poly? 🤣

No way are the penthouses more than the bungalows. That’s just pure crazy talk.
Based on how the cash prices are for the 2BR theme park views are I hope the charts are somewhat reasonable.. the 2BR TPV at Poly costs about the same amount as a preferred view 2BR at RIV from 1/5-1/10 for cash.

I'm predicting the 2BR penthouse to be an intermediate between the bungalow and the 2BR TPV but I may just be speaking crazy talk

We’ll see a slight points rebalancing of the bungalows.
I'm not so sure that they would go down this road. In order to do that, they'd have to move points across different units which would very likely affect the ownership percentage of original PVB1 owners (which is expressed in the percentage of a unit).

I know that they did this with the Treehouses at SSR, but there wasn't much clamoring about it since they actually made the treehouses more expensive and other units less expensive. However, there has been a lot of discussion, especially since the lock-off debacle back in 2019-2020 that DVC isn't allowed to move points across units if it affects ownership. Since that time, there has been a much closer look at what DVC is doing with point charts. There were some really eagle eyes among the membership here that was ready to challenge DVC on the matter, but they relented and did not change the point charts.

All this to say, I think this time around, if they did that, there would probably be some legal question to if they could actually do that, and they may well want to avoid that.

Why do you think so?

Admittedly I am new to the world of DVC but just the scarcity of the penthouses alone could drive up the points cost. Is there a cap on the points they can price a unit at per the existing PVB contracts? I know once they create the initial points allocation and sell contracts they can’t just add to points to cost - they have to reallocate across the entire set of units. But when they add new units to the mix cant they just price them however they want?

Why do you think so?

Admittedly I am new to the world of DVC but just the scarcity of the penthouses alone could drive up the points cost. Is there a cap on the points they can price a unit at per the existing PVB contracts? I know once they create the initial points allocation and sell contracts they can’t just add to points to cost - they have to reallocate across the entire set of units. But when they add new units to the mix cant they just price them however they want?
In theory they can do what they want, but a 2 bedroom (even if it's super fancy with a cool name) that sleeps 8 or 9 costing more points than 3 bedroom grand villas sleeping 12 at VGF or RIV would be tough to justify.

As would pricing a similar size room in a tower more than standalone personal buildings like the bungalows or CCV cabins. The penthouses will be somewhere between a normal 2br and the bungalows IMO.

Just a reminder. This is the DVC Board section of the DISBoards, and this Thread is a discussion of the Island Tower. The DAS system has nothing to do with DVC, and is not a topic for the DVC Boards section of the DISBoards.

Over the last few pages this thread has gone off topic. DAS changes should be addressed on the disABILITIES board, or perhaps the Rumors and News Board.

Please try to keep discussions relevant to the topic of the thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:
This seems unlikely to me, I think standard view could be the same—but I’m not expecting more than a handful of standard studios.
  1. The standard view 1 and 2 bedrooms will be less than or equal points wise with VGF 1 and 2 bedrooms. Can’t say the same about preferred or TP.
Why would DVC make them less? If there are only a few I could see them being about equal.
  1. We’ll see a slight points rebalancing of the bungalows.
Haven’t studied closely but seems like an unnecessary legal risk? Not sure how often the bungalows aren’t getting booked one way or another.
  1. If the bungalows get rebalanced, which I believe they will, then the 2 bedroom penthouse house TP view will be more expensive than the bungalows.
I think it will be closer than most of us are expecting—but probably not more than the existing bungalow chart.
  1. Getting a standard view duo studio in the tower will be the single most difficult room to get in all of DVC.
Maybe for the initial period, but I would think by year 2 or 3 they will become less popular. How many people buy DVC with the intention of traveling in groups of two and how many of them want a duo at a resort with fairly crowded common spaces? If preferred or TPV isn’t much more I could see those being more desirable, just within the tower.
No pitchforks or torches, but I just see Disney having every reason to swing for the fences on a high point chart (and no real downside):
  • Lower dues per point ::Jazz hands::
  • Make more money selling more total points (or can sell points at lower cost)
  • Existing owners need to add more to stay in tower and new owners need bigger contracts
  • Makes it harder for commercial renters to rent at lower amount, which undercuts hotel bookings
Is there a con that I’m missing? As long as they keep the standard chart less aggressive, they can still push rooms starting “as low as…” and THEN we will all gather here to say “well you have to own there if you want any chance at a standard room.”

I just see Disney having every reason to swing for the fences on a high point chart (and no real downside)
The downside is that DVC already has 3 resorts they are having trouble selling and why risk creating a 4th? The only thing moving is Riviera, and they’re gonna sell out of that in the next 18 months.

IMO the main driver of point chart should be whatever keeps dues constant for the existing owners

Last edited:
Here now. I have to upload some photos to Google Photos and link them at some point.

Here are some observations.
  • The three large portals definitely have a portion where the windows have a gap. Presumably for a doorway from the lobby. The one facing the monorail had plywood or some type of wood boarding up a portion in the middle of the windows. The portal facing the lake nearest GCH had a section open toward the GCH side (not in the middle like the other 2).
  • Penthouse will have a view of the turf area where movies and other events happen.
  • Penthouse and many high floor theme park view will see both monorails.
  • Pools were busy on Father’s Day, but we have noticed they aren’t as busy since then.
  • After seeing this from the water, ai think the tower may be even more popular than I thought. The lobby area walking out so close to the water is going to be a draw. To me, it ranks right up there with BW.

The downside is that DVC already has 3 resorts they are having trouble selling and why risk creating a 4th? The only thing moving is Riviera, and they’re gonna sell out of that in the next 18 months.

IMO the main driver of point chart should be whatever keeps dues constant for the existing owners
Is Riviera really that close to being sold out, I was hoping (probably just wishful thinking) that I had plenty of time to choose between the tower and direct Riviera. Do you think they’ll dump the last of the Riviera “fire sale” style?

Is Riviera really that close to being sold out, I was hoping (probably just wishful thinking) that I had plenty of time to choose between the tower and direct Riviera. Do you think they’ll dump the last of the Riviera “fire sale” style?
Personally I think it'll be closer to 2-3 years before RIV sells out but who knows what incentives they'll run while Poly is trying to sell that could speed up/slow down RIV sales. Even if it is a year and a half, that's still a long time to decide whether or not you want RIV/Poly no?

Personally I think it'll be closer to 2-3 years before RIV sells out but who knows what incentives they'll run while Poly is trying to sell that could speed up/slow down RIV sales. Even if it is a year and a half, that's still a long time to decide whether or not you want RIV/Poly no?
I guess I misunderstood. I perceived it to be that if there were only 18 months of points left in inventory, then a fire sale similar to the VGF summer sale would significantly shorten that time frame and force me to make a decision. If there are 3 years worth of points left then there will be multiple opportunities for discounted pricing and I can wait and see how the logistic work out at PVB. I can understand how you read it to mean I needed 18 months to make decision.

I think you’re going to be surprised at the size of the 2 bedroom penthouse.
I guess I misunderstood. I perceived it to be that if there were only 18 months of points left in inventory, then a fire sale similar to the VGF summer sale would significantly shorten that time frame and force me to make a decision. If there are 3 years worth of points left then there will be multiple opportunities for discounted pricing and I can wait and see how the logistic work out at PVB. I can understand how you read it to mean I needed 18 months to make decision.
I’d expect Riv to sell out by December 2025 at the very earliest or July/August 2026 at the very latest based on current pace.

A couple of questions (answers may be buried in this thread), how does booking a room in a new resort coincide with being able to book? If points go on sale July 22nd (date as an example) do they make points charts available the same day? If you purchase points are you able to book a room or is there still a period of time before booking begins?

A couple of questions (answers may be buried in this thread), how does booking a room in a new resort coincide with being able to book? If points go on sale July 22nd (date as an example) do they make points charts available the same day? If you purchase points are you able to book a room or is there still a period of time before booking begins?
Based on recent patterns, it's likely points charts will be made available shortly before sales begin (maybe a few days to a week or two).

A few weeks after sales begin, owners will be allowed to book with the normal 11m rules.

Multiple weeks later, non-owners will be allowed to book with the normal 7m rules.

Based on recent patterns, it's likely points charts will be made available shortly before sales begin (maybe a few days to a week or two).

A few weeks after sales begin, owners will be allowed to book with the normal 11m rules.

Multiple weeks later, non-owners will be allowed to book with the normal 7m rules.
I am really glad you answered this question because I was wondering the same thing. If I wanted to try the new rooms for Princess weekend Feb 2025, I would be able to try once the 7 month booking window opens and use points then (I am not an owner at Poly).

facebook twitter