Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

I haven't kept up with the DAS stuff other than knowing they changed it, there a good rundown on it here or elsewhere?

Like why are so many people mad about it? Can't they buy genie+ same as everyone else?

Probably but there are a lot of point misers (such as myself) in the DVC system…so if the tower rooms are all more expensive, the standard and preferred longhouse studios may go long before the 1.5-2x as expensive theme park studios. Also with the longhouses sleeping 5, they will be more popular with us cheapos who travel with 5 people.
I'm same, we are 5 so hoping that by sheer volume we can snag a longhouse at 7mo :)

I haven't kept up with the DAS stuff other than knowing they changed it, there a good rundown on it here or elsewhere?

Like why are so many people mad about it? Can't they buy genie+ same as everyone else?
There is a 400+ thread if you want to skim - emotions are running incredibly high (I’m also an ex-DASer who has been impacted by the change). I’m personally trying to remain hopeful that CMs onsite will do their best to help when needs arise.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/das-changes-coming-wdw-may-20-dl-june-18-2024.3943880/

I agree with you that they are not comfortable at all— both practically and legally, however, if you look at the DVC marketing materials and contracts, Disney is pretty clear that they revoke a lot of perks and modify many aspects of the program. This is not legal advice (I am not your lawyer) but I highly recommend reading the fine print before forking over five or six figure sums. Having said that, if Disney tried to change major aspects of the program that are aggressively marketed or specified in the contract, then yes, I’ll be banding together with my DVC brethren seeking justice.
Oh yeah, I'm definitely aware they can drop a bunch of the perks whenever they want. That's why I got a bunch of resale points first and may only ever do 1 or 2 direct purchases. Lower price and you know exactly what you will get.

I just don't think Disney tightening the requirements and approvals for the free, subjective benefits means that they will do anything for the paid, objective DVC benefits

🤷🏼‍♀️ they’re knee deep in the DAS debacle, and although it’s technically not DVC, the pitch forks are flying in ALL directions. As of yesterday I saw the disgruntled DAS users that have been denied AND are licensed physicians are banding together to come at the mouse, but the DAS users that have been denied AND are attorneys seem to suggest they won’t get far … it’s a whole show. Hence the free stuff 🍿🥤 … maybe?
The "DAS debacle" is invisible to anyone who isn't involved in it, and most who aren't currently feeling rejected are too busy appreciating that fewer people are going to get weird advantages they don't need as much as want. (I'm not suggesting at all that EVERY DAS user is abusing it, but everyone knows there are plenty of people stretching the degree of need for it because it's easier if you have the pass)

Alas, there is not a good summary but there is a 400 page (and counting!) thread here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...l-june-18-2024.3943880/page-402#post-65560768

Enter with caution as people are extremely touchy—the TL;dr is that 50-80% of former DAS users are being told that instead of their whole party skipping lines in a “virtual wait” (while they are free to eat, shop, ride any other rides, watch shows) are being told the actual disabled person can wait outside the line but everybody else in their party needs to wait *in the line* and they can join at the LL merge point and a surprising number of people are certain this won’t work for them, is cruel, and/or illegal.

They say Genie+ won’t work because you’re limited to a 1h return window and not whenever you feel like it—which may be true for some, but the truth is that the DAS ride reservation system is so much better G+, so you can’t even replicate it by dropping $$$. Even though the program reform is only about 50% implemented, people at WDW are reporting MUCH shorter LLs, I presume Disney will start making more capacity available for G+ users so you don’t have to choose only 1 or 2 headliners before they sell out for the day.

Wouldn't the raw numbers make it most likely that the longhouse studios will have more availability? Like 3x as many vs the tower based on current projections.
Probably? The tower rooms have cool extended kitchen features and are (almost certainly) in a building with a restaurant inside of it, which would be REALLY appealing to me if I wanted a studio (I don’t).

But they don’t have the 1.25 baths or the 3rd sleeping surface (which is great not just for families of 5, but also for kids who are different genders, or who hate sleeping in a bed together).

They have this nice balance today of mostly standard view longhouses but just enough lake view that they’re both about equally as easy to get at 7 months. If the tower adds a ton of lake/TPV studios, I think the major outcome will be none of the 7 month inventory being standard view.

Alas, there is not a good summary but there is a 400 page (and counting!) thread here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...l-june-18-2024.3943880/page-402#post-65560768

Enter with caution as people are extremely touchy—the TL;dr is that 50-80% of former DAS users are being told that instead of their whole party skipping lines in a “virtual wait” (while they are free to eat, shop, ride any other rides, watch shows) are being told the actual disabled person can wait outside the line but everybody else in their party needs to wait *in the line* and they can join at the LL merge point and a surprising number of people are certain this won’t work for them, is cruel, and/or illegal.

They say Genie+ won’t work because you’re limited to a 1h return window and not whenever you feel like it—which may be true for some, but the truth is that the DAS ride reservation system is so much better G+, so you can’t even replicate it by dropping $$$. Even though the program reform is only about 50% implemented, people at WDW are reporting MUCH shorter LLs, I presume Disney will start making more capacity available for G+ users so you don’t have to choose only 1 or 2 headliners before they sell out for the day.
Oh that would be fantastic if there are more LL available.

Maybe they'll allow more than one ride too at some point as well!

Thanks for the details, ill try and read some of that other thread later.

Ok back on topic, poly tower speculation, I agree that I bet we see sales starting around the time of welcome home weeks.

I presume Disney will start making more capacity available for G+ users so you don’t have to choose only 1 or 2 headliners before they sell out for the day.
If you’re struggling with this, I would suggest joining the touringplans forums. There’s some really, REALLY interesting strategies. Some (all?) of which can’t be repeated here.

Probably? The tower rooms have cool extended kitchen features and are (almost certainly) in a building with a restaurant inside of it, which would be REALLY appealing to me if I wanted a studio (I don’t).

But they don’t have the 1.25 baths or the 3rd sleeping surface (which is great not just for families of 5, but also for kids who are different genders, or who hate sleeping in a bed together).

They have this nice balance today of mostly standard view longhouses but just enough lake view that they’re both about equally as easy to get at 7 months. If the tower adds a ton of lake/TPV studios, I think the major outcome will be none of the 7 month inventory being standard view.
That would be my guess too— standard longhouses nearly impossible by 7mo (probably like standard BWV studios, can occasionally nab a night or two here and there), but lake view probably goes last (at least until the new Tower smell wears off)— I could also see the preferred view longhouses becoming more popular than the tower ones at least by the next cycle of longhouse soft goods refresh, particularly if preferred view in the tower faces away from the lagoon. A lot of the “preferred” views at VDH are pretty questionable, in my opinion.

That would be my guess too— standard longhouses nearly impossible by 7mo (probably like standard BWV studios, can occasionally nab a night or two here and there), but lake view probably goes last (at least until the new Tower smell wears off)— I could also see the preferred view longhouses becoming more popular than the tower ones at least by the next cycle of longhouse soft goods refresh, particularly if preferred view in the tower faces away from the lagoon. A lot of the “preferred” views at VDH are pretty questionable, in my opinion.
By “preferred”, you mean a view of the pool or of the Grand Californian…..

Whereas with POLYT it will likely mean a view of the water and of Magic Kingdom….

Penthouse! Penthouse! Penthouse!

🤷🏼‍♀️ they’re knee deep in the DAS debacle, and although it’s technically not DVC, the pitch forks are flying in ALL directions. As of yesterday I saw the disgruntled DAS users that have been denied AND are licensed physicians are banding together to come at the mouse, but the DAS users that have been denied AND are attorneys seem to suggest they won’t get far … it’s a whole show. Hence the free stuff 🍿🥤 … maybe?
Pics (screenshots?) or it didn’t happen.

By “preferred”, you mean a view of the pool or of the Grand Californian…..

Whereas with POLYT it will likely mean a view of the water and of Magic Kingdom….

Penthouse! Penthouse! Penthouse!
No, I think the VDH pool views are legit preferred, there are views that are worse. I didn’t think any VDH rooms would have VGC views…mostly other towers at DLH, right?

Because of that, I would be surprised if PolyT preferred isn’t predominantly golf course on the other side of the road and maybe also pool view or lake with no view at all of the castle. I think anything where you can see the castle or space mountain is going to be “theme park view.”

I think we may be surprised by the updated points chart. A few things I think/predict regarding the PVB points chart
  1. A standard view longhouse studio (sleeps 5) will be more points than a standard view tower studio (sleeps 4),
  2. The standard view 1 and 2 bedrooms will be less than or equal points wise with VGF 1 and 2 bedrooms. Can’t say the same about preferred or TP.
  3. We’ll see a slight points rebalancing of the bungalows.
  4. If the bungalows get rebalanced, which I believe they will, then the 2 bedroom penthouse house TP view will be more expensive than the bungalows.
  5. Getting a standard view duo studio in the tower will be the single most difficult room to get in all of DVC.
Let the criticism begin! (Metaphorical pitch forks welcome)

No, I think the VDH pool views are legit preferred, there are views that are worse. I didn’t think any VDH rooms would have VGC views…mostly other towers at DLH, right?

Because of that, I would be surprised if PolyT preferred isn’t predominantly golf course on the other side of the road and maybe also pool view or lake with no view at all of the castle. I think anything where you can see the castle or space mountain is going to be “theme park view.”
Checkout duo room 1214 during the day

https://www.disboards.com/threads/v...-hotel-dvc-view-from-the-room-thread.3931280/
I think we may be surprised by the updated points chart. A few things I think/predict regarding the PVB points chart
  1. A standard view longhouse studio (sleeps 5) will be more points than a standard view tower studio (sleeps 4),
  2. The standard view 1 and 2 bedrooms will be less than or equal points wise with VGF 1 and 2 bedrooms. Can’t say the same about preferred or TP.
  4. If the bungalows get rebalanced, which I believe they will, then the 2 bedroom penthouse house TP view will be more expensive than the bungalows.
  5. Getting a standard view duo studio in the tower will be the single most difficult room to get in all of DVC.
Aulani standard view hotel room

https://www.dvchelp.com/page/aulani-resort-spa-availability-charts

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 7
I think you're spot on! Any thoughts on duo studio points compared to std Tower studio?

Ooo, hot takes on fun topics! Okay, I'll bite :D

I think this highly improbable (<10% chance).

I think there are two reasons why this is highly improbable:
  • SV Tower vs. SV Longhouse cash rates are identical afaict. And there's no reason to reduce the total number of points at the resort from a monetary perspective.
  • I think it's also just simpler for owners for there to be equivalence in the points chart.
This has a moderate chance! Something near 50/50. But I think mostly in the 1BR space, based on VDH points ratios, and less likely in the 2BRs.

The spiciest take and I have the least judgement of its probability 😂

I think there are certainly benefits to it and have detailed how it's a mechanism to increasing the number of points sold as part of Island Tower.

But it also seems like a legal and owner satisfaction risk, and I don't know how much they want to take that on for a low % more points in the system when they can juice via Theme Park Views instead.

I guess I think it's improbable (10-50% likely to happen).

I think this one is also highly improbable (<10% chance). The information provided so far has the Penthouse as a glorified 2BR, but a step below what a Grand Villa would be.

And based on CCV, Grand Villas are barely more points than the standalone premium 2BR (Cabungalows), which should slot Penthouses below the Bungalows. Besides, there's likely a big points gap between 2BR TPV and the Bungalows, perfect for Penthouses.

Taking a pass on this one as I don't know how to define "most difficult room to get", but it sure has a lot of competition: AKV Value, AKV Concierge, BWV SV 2BR, Aulani Hotel, and VDH Grand Villa (this is cheating, the non-HA one still isn't in inventory).

I think you're right that it will be very difficult to book, though!

facebook twitter